none
Pioneer DVR-K17RS ATA ACER CODE=39

Question

• I purchased a brand new ACER; it came with Windows Vista Installed.  Out of the box the Pioneer DVR-K17RS ATA DVD-RW worked for about an hour.  Then out of no where (upon inserting a music CD) the device because undetectable.  I looked at the device driver and it showed a code=39 error.  I looked for an update, none were found.  I repeatedly have send solution requests to Microsoft with no response.  I have uninstalled the device driver and reinstalled it.  I have also reloaded the system.  Each time the CD-ROM becomes undetectable.

This is the only operating system I have ever had problems with hardware it came shipped with.

Suggestions ????

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Yvonne

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi I also have the same problem in Vista with this drive after installing the edata secutity fix for messanger my drve stopped working.

However I can boot to it and read cds at boot level.

I will try the latest drivers and let you know if i find a solution.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:08 PM
  • To resolve the error, remove the device from Device Manager, and then reinstall or upgrade the driver.

If the error continues to occur, it may be possible to edit the operating system Registry to resolve the issue.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.

IMPORTANT: Make a backup of the registry before proceeding.

1. Click the Start button, and in the Start Search field, type regedit and then press the Enter key.

NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.

2. In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
    3. In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, double-click the System folder.
    4. In the System folder, double-click the CurrentControlSet folder.
    5. In the CurrentControlSet folder, double-click the Control folder.
    6. In the Control folder, double-click the Class folder.
    7. In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
    8. In the right pane, click to select the UpperFilters registry value.
    9. On the menu bar, click Edit.
    10. In the Edit menu, click Delete.
    11. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
    12. In the right pane, click to select the LowerFilters registry value.
    13. On the menu bar, click Edit.
    14. In the Edit menu, click Delete.
    15. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
    16. In the Registry Editor window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
    17. Restart the computer.
    • Proposed as answer by dicksorensen Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:39 PM
    Saturday, June 09, 2007 8:41 PM
  • I also ahev this problem. each time i install a new webcam its loses the dvd rw. Support said I need a new driver however cannot find this. Do u know if the changing the registry keys work as shown below?
    Sunday, June 10, 2007 8:41 PM
  • thanks man ! I knew there is someone like you that knows the answer to the problem !
    i was verry concerned about this problem ! i thought the dvd was broken !
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Hi there,

I had the same problem with my pc after I had installed a programm. But I've got my DVD-RW back, because I found help: www.unisupport.net

You have to choose your country, then click on the USB- T stick logo (because this software was the one which deinstalled my CD/DVD driver), at the end of the page you' ll find a link to download an update. It should work after restarting the computer.

I hope this will work for you as well!! :-)

Regards, Sarah
    Friday, June 22, 2007 11:26 AM
  •  

Thanks for this Sarah it worked a treat, made my weekend
    Friday, August 31, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.
    I had "upgraded" my Acer from Vista Home Prem. to XP Home.
    Afterwards at some point I lost my DVR- K17RS
    The fix you provided worked XP as well.
    Thanks again
    Dick Miller
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 6:37 PM
  • This is going nowere for me i have had the problem 2 days ago.I was updateing my motherbords bios(ASUS P5B) useing the softwere that i got whit it.It worked but now my ata drives and hard drives are gone i tryed most ways i found regstary file chgeing uninstalling the drivers none worked.I need help ok more info:
    SCSI/RAID Host Controller
    device type: Storage controllers
    Manufacter: unknowan

Device status
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

PC specs:
    CPU: Intel Core 2cpu 6600 @ 2.40ghz
    Ram: 2.00 GB RAM
    Grfx card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Whats not working now:
    DVD Drive
    ATA Hard Drive(my moterbord is for s-ata drives but it had a conecter for ata's)

Thanks.
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:02 PM
  • IT WORKED!!! THAT'S INCREDIBLE. Please tell me how you knew to do that, and also, exactly what did I do when I did that. Thank you so much!
    Wednesday, September 05, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Wow. Thankyou very much. I'm so happy that there was such a simple solution as my previous attempts to fix the problem caused a lot of stress! IIt wasn't a USB stick that caused the problem on my computer. I think the problem in my case was installing a driver for a webcam so I'd advise anyone else experiencing this problem to give this solution a try before attempting more drastic solutions.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Hi dmillergv!

Can you tell me please how did you manage to "switch" between Vista and XP, because I drove nuts trying to !

A hint - or more - would be more than useful! For now, after erasing Vista Home Premium, I hace Vista Ultimate, but I'm not satisfied... I wish to have XP on laptop, too as on my desktop.

Thanks in advance for anyone's HEEEELP!

PS: Sarah M, you made my day, too ! Many thanks for the tip!!!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:20 AM
  • That's the one; it's only taken me four hours to find your very clear post and fix my client's machine.
    All we have to do now is persuade them NOT to install iTunes on a windows machine.
    Many thanks
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Sarah, You help me to  

avoid a hedache, I dont even know how I lost my drive but your method works well!!!

Regards,  Luis

Monday, January 07, 2008 6:39 AM
  • Thanks Sarah, that worked a treat.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:38 PM
  • First off, I would like to thank 13Anon for fixing my dvd drive!  The steps below will solve error code 39.  Merely uninstalling and updating the driver doesn't work, but editing the registry values completely restored my dvd driver and my cds and dvds are working great now!  Thanks 13Anonymous13- you rock!

13Anonymous13 wrote:

To resolve the error, remove the device from Device Manager, and then reinstall or upgrade the driver.

If the error continues to occur, it may be possible to edit the operating system Registry to resolve the issue.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.

1. Click the Start button, and in the Start Search field, type regedit and then press the Enter key.

NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.

2. In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
    7. In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
    16. In the Registry Editor window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
    • Proposed as answer by dicksorensen Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Hi, can you please, send me the update, because it's not there any more.Thanks! My email is:findly2007@gmail.com
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:58 AM
  • Can anyone send me the update which Sarah sugested to the forum, because it's not there anymore ! Thank's to those
    which are going to help me ! I am having a big problem with my Pioneer too. My email is: findly2007@gmail.com
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:07 AM
  • for 13anonymous13
    you are the best
    after 1 hour on internet i find your solution and it works
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Hi Can someone help me on my DVD with error code 39 as follow:

1. Where can I get a copy of the driver ?

2. I have down loaded the Microsoft's "guided help" but cannot get the proper execution done ,so same problem "cannot start" remain Any  comment how to go about .I would like t avoid touching the registry as I am not good in doing this type of work.

rgds

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Hi sarah, I downloaded the file and when i tried to install it it gave me the following error: Please plug in your dvb-t device to install drivers. and it wont let me go any further. any ideas on something else i could try? thanks Annette
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:37 PM
  • :( What do you mean USB- T stick logo, I really don't understand, I don't see that anywhere :( Do you mean USB DVB-T Tuner or Mini USB DVB-T Tuner? Because that's all I see :(
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:07 AM
  • YO TENGO UNA LAPTOP ACER ASPIRE 5100 CON EL PIONEER K-17RS LEE MUY BIEN CD-R-RW PERO NO DVD DE NINGUNA CLASE QUISIERA SABER SI HAS ENCONTRADO ALGO UTIL Y ME PUEDES AYUDAR PUES HE BUSCADO ACTUALIZACIONES DE FIMR WARE Y NO HE PODIDO ENCONTRAR.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:05 PM
  • I want to thank for Your support. I had this problem with my Acer Computer. The Pioneer was not found. I followed Your instructions and now it works.
    Johan Stenstrom

Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:43 PM
  • For those of you who are not having success:

I too, at first, did not have success using the solution of a13anonymous13 (but stick with me here because it is the correct solution), but as I read it over, again and again, and the posts of others who did have success, especially Angybear, the light bulb went off, I was not following the instructions precisely.

The details I was misssing: You have to uninstall the device first, when removed the first time, I realized that I just ended up re-installing it again while I was following the instructions in the paragraph before steps 1 thru 17, that is, while trying to upgrade/fix the driver. I say again, before you perform steps 1 thru 17 of a13anonymous13's solution you must uninstall the device first! Make sure (using Device Manager) that it's not on the list anymore, gone, uninstalled! Then you must follow the rest of the instructions precisely, do nothing less, nothing more. Do not get distracted and go off and do other things on your computer between steps, this is especially hard for me since I seem to suffer from some form of grown-up ADD. Also, at the end of the instructions it's very important to "Restart", do not "Shut Down" and start back up, this is not the same, "Restart".

I don't how many times I performed the procedure unsucessfully until I realized that I was not following the instructions precisely. Somewhere along the line I realized that I must be doing something wrong because, while using regedit, the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry statements kept showing back up ... after I had deleted them.

In the end I found that this solution really is simple and it really does work!

Here are a13anonymous13's instructions again:

To resolve the error, remove the device from Device Manager, and then reinstall or upgrade the driver.

End

Regards, dicksorensen

P.S. Computers will make our lives easier ... after they finish torturing us!

• Proposed as answer by dicksorensen Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:38 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:
    A required device driver is missing.
    A required binary file is corrupted.
    There is a problem with the file I/O process.
    A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
    Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.
    On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
    Restart your computer.
    Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Francisco,

This may be helpful to some people with a code=39 error, but the problem we are addressing in this thread is that of ysmatute and variations there of, that is, the very first post in this thread submitted way back on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:43 AM and variations of that problem (please take a look at the very first post of this thread by scrolling all the way back up to the very top).

The major symptom, and maddening symptom, of this issue is that we had uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for this device using device manager to no avail. Because of entries left behind in the registry, no matter how many times we uninstalled and reinstalled the device driver using device manager, the problem would persist. It this case it is necessary to also address the registry entries left behind. The solution proposed by a13anonymous13 and also used by angybear and me also involves editing the offending registry entry.

Your solution may work for some with code=39 error, but it would not have worked for ysmatute, the original poster who started this thread that was looking for a solution. It also would not work for a13anonymous13, angybear, or myself.

Thank you for your contribution, none the less, I'm sure it has helped some who came and viewed this thread that did not have the exact same problem as ysmatute and I. Obviously from the votes you have gotten, it helped at least 3 people.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Thank you so very much! ive always been scared to mess with my registry and your solution worked perfectly.thanks again.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:19 AM