none
Windows 7 zboard driver

Question

• YOu never updated the zboard windows 7 driver thread.  Is there a Windows 7 driver out for Zboard?  I cannot find one and my keyboard won't work correctly!
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hello customer,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software or directly download the latest driver from Microsoft Update Catalog.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:17 AM
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hello customer,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software or directly download the latest driver from Microsoft Update Catalog.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:17 AM
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:34 AM
  • When I installed win7 64bit, i went thru EVERY found device in the device manager and manually updated drivers using the auto updater. All my Zboard insertable keyboards work. However I found that I can only press down three keys at a time (only checked BattleField 2 and the BF2 keyboard so far). Any more syncd key motions are ignored. IE) W+A(diagonal motion)+1 mouse key  + (anything else dosnt work).

The Zboard driver disk that came with the keyboard is not recognizable with Win7 64bit.

With XP my zboard worked great (Best keyboard ever!) for gaming. Never any issues. Hopefully Win7 can patch us up soon. Either that or I can find the issue of my 4key-lameduck.

A while back, the zboard.com website and merchandise rights must have been sold to someone that has not thought to keep up on drivers. ...or something.

Good luck and repost if you have the same issue that I do, or if you find out some info =)

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Yeh im still looking for some kinda driver fix as well i found this zboard in my basement last month and still havent found a workin driver for it. and if i do find the driver do i need to find the driver for my game as well? (world of warcraft)?? Please if you've found anything that would be awsome :)
    • Proposed as answer by R Calkins Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by R Calkins Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:09 PM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 3:07 AM
  •  

I had the same issue with my board when I went to Windows 7.  Below is the instructions I got from tech support for the manufacturer, hope it helps.

1) Go to c:/program files(x86)lideazon/Zengine/ze_clean_content.exe

2) Double click ze_clean_content.exe and proceed. This will delete the database file and re-Iaunch Z Engine.

3) Close the software (ctri-aH-delete) -> task manager -> processes tab -> find ·zboard.exe" and terminate this process.

4) Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Run Type "%appdata%" then click "Ok" Find the Ideazon folder and find the Z Engine folder and delete it.

5) You can uninstall the Zengine by going to c:/program files/ideazon/Zengine/ze_clean_uninstall.exe

6) Delete the remaining folder in directory: c:/program files! ideazonl 7) Access your Device manager through Control panel. Go to the Keyboards section and right click any applicable keyboard entry > uninstall -> repeat this process for additional entries. Keep in mind that this will make the keyboard stop working.

8) Unplug the keyboard and restart you computer (keeping the keyboard unplugged). Once you computer boots, replug the keyboard and allow Windows to successfully recognize and install drivers for the device.

9) Re-download the latest Z Engine drivers: http://cdn.steelseries.com/keyboards/zengine/ZEngine x64 25029 NA.exe

10) Right click the Z-Engine installer file -> properties -> compatibility tab -> check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows XP Service pack 2" from the dropdown box -> check the "run this program as an administrator" checkbox -> hit apply -> hit ok

11) Right click the installer once more and click "run as administrator"

12) Once installed, close the software (ctrl-alt-delete)

-> task manager -> processes tab -> find "zboard.exe" and terminate this process.

13) Access the Zengine folder. c:/program files(x86)/ideazon/Zenginel -> right click the "Zboard" executable -> properties -> compatibility tab -> check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows XP Service pack

2" from the dropdown box -> check the "run this program as an administrator" checkbox -> hit apply -> hit ok

14) Restart your computer and then verify that the settings in the Zboard executable have been saved.

15) Access your Z-Engine -> Tools -> Skins Select

"Do not use skins"

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:21 PM
  • After I posted the fix I found an updated driver from SteelSeries that works without all of the permissions issues. 

You can download it at : http://steelseries.com/support/downloads

The download is:

Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7 (64 bit).

Region: US/Can. Version: 2.5.0.30. Released: 2011-02-22

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:04 PM
  • What I think fixed this for me was typing the following at a command prompt with admin privileges.

bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

However, what I actually did was (Note: you'll need another keyboard to perform these steps):

1. Disable UAC via Control Panel >> User Accounts and Family Safety >> User Accounts >> Change User Account Control Settings.
    2. Move the bar all the way down so it says, "Never notify".  Click OK and then reboot the computer.
    3. Uninstall the ZBoard devices in Device Manager (check the box that says, "Delete the driver software for this device".)  If you're not sure which devices need to be removed, watch Device Manager as you unplug and replug in the ZBoard to see what vanishes and comes back.
    4. Unplug the ZBoard from the computer.
    5. Manually terminate the "zboard.exe" process via Task Manager >> Processes tab and then uninstall the Z Engine software.
    6. Delete the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon"
    7. From a command prompt, run the "bcdedit" command I listed above.
    8. Reboot and bring up the F8 boot menu by pressing the F8 key repeatedly just before the Windows boot logo appears.  Select "Disable driver signature enforcement" near the bottom of the list.
    9. Download the installer (the link goes to the USB/Canada version) from SteelSeries.  Save the file; don't run it.
    10. Right-click the installer file >> Properties >> Compatibility tab
    11. Check the box to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: "Windows XP (Service Pack 2".
    12. Down in the "Privilege Level" section, put a check in "Run this program as an administrator".
    13. Click OK and then right-click the installer.  Choose "Run as administrator".
    14. Plug in the ZBoard and go through the install with all the defaults.
    15. Once again, manually terminate the "zboard.exe" process via Task Manager.
    16. Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine"
    17. Find "zboard.exe" and perform steps 10, 11, and 12 from above and click OK.
    18. Reboot your computer and the ZBoard should be working.  If it isn't at this point (like mine wasn't), try swapping or re-inserting keysets.

After performing all of these steps, my ZBoard is finally working on Win7 Pro x64.  Good luck!

Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:04 PM