none
"Access denied" error

Question

• For both Virtual PC 2007 and Windows XP Mode, I am getting an error, "The virtual machine could not be started. Access denied." when I try to open an existing image. It used to work fine. What may--May--have caused this was that for a different reason I changed the volume name on the drive containing the image files. I changed the volume name back, but that has no effect and I still cannot launch VPC or XP Mode images. What might I do to regain access to my virtual images?
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 3:50 PM

Answers

• The easiest way is to give the "Users" group all access to the drive
    and subfolders.  An administrator group wouldn't work correctly because
    of UAC -- you'd have to run elevated to access a file that way.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:39 PM

All replies

• It sounds like maybe the permissions aren't correct.

This thread might help:

Monday, April 02, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Thanks, Bob, but this did not work. I changed the permissions on the entire drive, including subcontainers and objects, to my account. (I am in administrators group and the only account on the computer and have Full Control.) I get the same error as before, "The virtual machine could not be started. Access denied."  Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting Virtual PC running?
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:34 PM
  • The easiest way is to give the "Users" group all access to the drive
    and subfolders.  An administrator group wouldn't work correctly because
    of UAC -- you'd have to run elevated to access a file that way.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:39 PM
  • For both Virtual PC 2007 and Windows XP Mode, I am getting an error

XP Mode does not work with VPC 2007.  XP Mode is a specific virtual machine provided by Microsoft.  XP Mode requires Windows Virtual PC.  If you are creating your own vm it is not XP Mode.  It is just a new virtual machine.  What are you actually doing?

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Monday, April 09, 2012 1:44 PM