none
CanoScan N67OU and Windows 7

Question

• Is the CanoScan N67OU scanner compatible with Windows 7?  I ran the Windows 7 compatibility advisor program and tried to update the CanoScan driver but it seems that I'm using the latest driver, dated 2003.  Under Windows XP this scanner still does everything I've asked it to do.  Does Windows 7 offer significantly increased capability such that I should consider upgrading the scanner to be compatible with the new OS? 
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:44 AM

Answers

• Hello,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:36 AM

All replies

• Did you try running the driver in vista compatible mode and next run as adminstrator as follow
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Is the CanoScan N67OU scanner compatible with Windows 7?  I ran the Windows 7 compatibility advisor program and tried to update the CanoScan driver but it seems that I'm using the latest driver, dated 2003.  Under Windows XP this scanner still does everything I've asked it to do.  Does Windows 7 offer significantly increased capability such that I should consider upgrading the scanner to be compatible with the new OS? 

You need to go to the Canon website and download a newer driver.  According to Canon there is a Vista driver that was published 10/04/2007.  If you run the setup program in the Vista SP2 compatibility mode it should install.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Xuesheng,
    Apparently, Canon did not certify the CanScan N670U for Vista. Look here.

For Windows 7, there are only two ceritified at this time. Look here.

So, it seems that you may need to find a new scanner.

A workaround may be this: If the device is identified in Start (orb)>Devices and Printers you can click Start>enter scan in the search box>select Windows Fax and Scan Program from the results and attempt a scan.

Was the scan workaround successful?
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Hello,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:36 AM
  • You DA Man Andy. That answer worked a treat for my windows 7 and Canoscan N670U. Thanks a bunch
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:32 AM
  • I followed the instructions from Andy

"If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager , right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator ."

I downloaded the driver from the Canon site. I received a executable folder called
    lide20lide30n670un676un1240uvst7031a_xpen.exe . Running this creates a folder of the same name containing another executable folder called SetupSG.exe and a readme file. When I run this file in compatibility mode, something happens, but it is too quick on the screen and I can't see it. However, it does not install a driver to my scanner.

What did you do to make it work? Were you using 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:22 AM
  • I was wondering if anyone found a solution to this.  I also encountered the same problem as Peter Lanky.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 8:53 PM
  • I was wondering if anyone found a solution to this.  I also encountered the same problem as Peter Lanky.

Somebody has suggested to me to try using the Lide60 Windows 7 64 bit driver. It didn't work for me, but you may have more luck.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:27 PM
  • After much trying, testing and experimenting, I found that the solution was to buy a refurbished (i.e. new but package not as new) Lide 100 from the Canon outlet on Ebay for £24 (UK), and forget about trying to find a driver.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:32 AM
  • I finally found a solution to this problem.  I happen to be running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  I downloaded and installed a software called VueScan.  With that Im able to scan things even thought I haven't installed any drivers for the Canoscan.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:37 AM
  • The problem with Vuescan is that you have to pay for it, and it doesn't come cheap. Buying a new, more modern scanner only cost me half as much as buying Vuescan would have done, and I am not now at the mercy of a third party supplier..
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi Peter Lanky or other N670U scanner owners:

I am having WinXP SP3 and tried on Win7 professional 32bit also.  Both worked OK.

After downloading the file "lide20lide30n670un676un1240uvst7031a_xpen.exe"

1. Unplug the scanner from the system and run the above file

2. Go to directory lide20lide30n670un676un1240uvst7031a_xpen and run SetupSG.exe

3. Plug in the scanner then it would be recognised by the system. Device Manager - Hardware -  Imaging Devices.

You might need to download Canon Toolbox 4.1 also.

Wish this helps.

Regards,

KeZhu

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:53 AM
  • its simple, all you need is the software CD of the CanoScan N67OU.

On the device Manager, Find you CanoScan Scanner, then Properties, then Driver, then Update Driver, Locate and Install driver Manually, Browse and locate you original CanoScan CD and it's all good from there. It will update it and install your driver to windows 7. It worked for me. Try it.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:43 AM