none
Unable to install IE8 and SP2 on Vista Home Premium

Question

• Hi,

I am having Dell XPS laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I am not able to install IE8 and Vista SP 2 on it. It installs both upto 3rd stage and shows 100% complete and then gives the error: installation unsuccessful and uninstalls both packages. Please let me know if there is any patch or tool for this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ray
    • Edited by Ray Dean Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:56 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:07 PM

All replies

• Having the same problem too with my XPS 1330.
    The install of both updates reaches the end when it has to configure everything and then it gets an error.
    When installing Service pack 2 I get the error: 0x80073aa2 - ERROR_EVT_CONFIGURATION_ERROR.

I searched online for help but couldn't find any good advice...

Friday, July 03, 2009 1:06 PM
  • i have a Toshiba Qosmio F55 running Vista Home Premium and am having the same exact issue. also searched and couldnt find anything helpfull. does microsoft even look at these forums?
    Friday, July 03, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I have a Dell XPS M 1330 windows vista and the same problem, I contacted Dell Support Center and they told me that this is a Microsoft error, I tried to search for something and I couldnt fin anything to fix this Problem.
    • Edited by ROMOR Sunday, July 05, 2009 4:37 PM
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I don't get it. we're in a Microsoft tech support forum and not a single response from a Microsoft representative!
    If it was a problem with a single computer I could get it, but I found a dozen forums that talk about this problem but can't find a solution.

so if any representative happens to come across this thread please be kind and at least reply...
    Monday, July 06, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Hi

Can you please share following files with me at sachin.trivedi@live.com?

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*
    %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
    %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
    %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
    %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*
    %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

Also kindly include link to technet thread so that I can relate it to the issue.

Thanks,
    Sachin

• Proposed as answer by ROMOR Monday, October 26, 2009 5:47 AM
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 7:06 AM
  • How do I share this with you? the files add up to hundreds of MB?
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Please provide your email id so that I can create a workspace for you to upload the logs.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Can you explain this step by step please, im sure that more than one dont know what are you talking about. PLease.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I've got a Dell XPS M1330

I resolved my issue by doing the following:

1. Downloaded the stand-alone Windows Vista SP 2 (32-bit)
    2. After reading Rohna's post; I exported HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT to file.
    3. Deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT node from registry
    4. Rebooted
    5. Ran MSConfig from Start menu.
    6. Disabled all non-essential (anything that wasn't Microsoft, network adapter, video display, mouse related) services from both from start-up and Services tabs.
    7. Rebooted
    8. Installed the stand-alone sp 2, from Step 1 - success!
    9. Rebooted
    10. Ran windows updates, installed all recommended updates, including IE 8.
    11. Rebooted
    12. Opened MSConfig from the start menu and enabled all services which were disabled in step 5.
      These should be evident if you sort by Date Disabled.
    13. Rebooted.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Monday, July 27, 2009 2:21 PM