none
The disappearing DVD-Rom drive...

Question

• I'm getting highly aggitated by this problem.

I have a Toshiba Satellite with a Pioneer DVD-Rom.  Like some other's who have posted on here, the icon for the DVD-Rom keeps appearing and disappearing from My Computer.  This is apparently a problem that is not exclusive to any particular brand of computer or laptop. 

When you check under the device manager the drive does not appear.  This happens even if yours drivers are up to date and having the computer scan for new hardware produces no results.

I don't know how many others have checked this on their computers but when I go into the system bios, the DVD-Rom IS there.  The only time it doesn't show up is when in Vista (I'm using Home Premium with SP1).

Toshiba tech support's only answer is that it must be a hardware problem, saying it is likely a matter of the DVD-Rom not being connected in a secure manner.  If that is the case, would the drive still show up in the bios everytime I check?

Deleting the upper and lower files in the registry have NOT solved the problem.

Does ANYONE have an answer or solution to this?
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:55 PM

Answers

•  

I have seen 2 situations that cause this...

1. Waking from sleep or hibernate on a PC with AHCI enabled. A BIOS flash and updated chipset drivers have fixed it a few times for me on assorted hardware.

2. I've seen it more recently with iTunes 8.0. Reverting back to iTunes 7.7 resolved the issue, and they have since relased a newer build or 8 that I have yet to try.

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:18 PM

All replies

• It might be hardware connection or compatibility between the computer and the CD-ROM, especially if it is a laptop. If possible, please have your computer manufacturer check this for you.

At the meantime, please also check all of the burning programs, such as Nero, Roxio, 123 Copy DVD, etc. I suggest that you temporary uninstall them.

If the issue reoccurs, please launch Device Manager, refresh the device and check if the DVD-ROM is still listed under the branch DVD/CD-ROM drives. If the drive is not listed, I suggest that you contact Toshiba and check hardware related problems.

However, if the drive is still listed, or it is listed under Unknown Device, please check whether lower filter or upper filter is generated by some program again. Please launch "regedit", locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and check the right pane. 

Also, after you be assure that no upper and lower filter exist, please follow the steps below to reload the driver for the DVD drive.

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

3. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.

4. Restart the computer. The drivers will be loaded automatically.

If the issue is not resolved after following the above suggestions, please let me know when the DVD drive disappears, if it works again after a while, or you must restart the computer to make it worked.

Hope it helps.

Monday, September 22, 2008 10:45 AM
  •  

I have seen 2 situations that cause this...

1. Waking from sleep or hibernate on a PC with AHCI enabled. A BIOS flash and updated chipset drivers have fixed it a few times for me on assorted hardware.

2. I've seen it more recently with iTunes 8.0. Reverting back to iTunes 7.7 resolved the issue, and they have since relased a newer build or 8 that I have yet to try.

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:18 PM