none
USB Microphone Not Working in Windows 8 Work Around

Question

• I have tried everything that I know to get the microphone to work without having to unplug it and re-plug it in with Windows 8 running.  I did not use the Eject USB Flash Memory feature.  I just yanked it out and shoved it back in.  I hope this work around helps those before they spend hours of research and experimenting as I did even after I knew I could work around.  My microphone is the HD Pro Webcam C910.  If I restart my PC the microphone works.  If I shutdown my PC the microphone does not work and I have to unplug and re-plug the USB connection again.

I do see my microphone in Device Manager/Audio after boot-up from an off or restart condition.

The two programs I use the microphone in are Skype and Ventrilo.  The microphone has the same issue in both programs.

The microphone works properly in Windows 7.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:47 AM

All replies

• Update your Windows and open Control Panel and Action Center and then troubleshoot and chose sound troubleshooter.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Thank You

Windows was updated and no new updates found.

I went to Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Troubleshooting/Hardware and Sound/  and troubleshooted Sound, no problems found in in Sound.  

I went on to troubleshoot Hardware and Devices, Network Adapter, Printer and Windows Media Player DVD.  

In Hardware and Devices a printer driver was updated, My cell phone needs a driver or something, and Hardware changes might not have been detected was detected.

Everything else is good.

Microphone not working properly, I still have to yank out the USB and shove it back in.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

Also try to update BIOS and Chipset to the latest version. You can download it from machine manufacturer official website to download.

If the issue persists, you can also try to create another user account and login for test.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Glad to hear you found the solution to solve microphone on Ventrilo.

You can also contact Skype forum for further help. Maybe they have any workaround or solution for your issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 24, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Leo Skype forums have not helped.  I have been trying many things over and over again and still can't get Skype to work.  Also Ventrilo is not working again due to trying many things to get Skype to work.  Skype and Ventrilo worked in XP & 7.  This has only been an issue in 8.

I am diving into Chipset driver info now.  I am still new to 8 and having fun learning where everything has been moved.  I am a gamer so this is fun LoL.

Again I say, I am trying to keep all info in this one post so please don't mark this as answered till it truly is.

• Edited by Vockroth Monday, December 31, 2012 3:22 AM Skype Forums Have Not Helped
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:49 PM
  • I am using an ASUS P5N-D Motherboard.  I have not updated the BIOS since I was running 7.  The last BIOS for my MB was issued 01-07-2010 and addressed Adjusting CPU Temperature of Certain CPU's.

I will look into the Chipset driver version later.

I have downloaded the Realtek Audio Manager from ASUS, version 6.0.01.5859 for Win 7 dated 07-21-2009.  I went to the Realtek website and updated the driver to 6.0.1.6662 (2.70).  Each version yielded the same problems.

I have found a fix for Ventrilo only.  Copy and Paste "A Quick Way to Solve Realtek HD Audio Plugged and Unplugged Problem" into Bing.  There is a Youtube Video and instructions here:  http://www.spyontech.com/how-to/here%E2%80%99s-a-quick-way-to-solve-realtek-hd-audio-plugged-and-unplugged-problem.htm  This guy did a great job.

I have been reading post regarding Skype.  I have spent many hours reading and trying different things.  I managed to mess up Ventrillo again but got it fixed by following the instructions in this post.

I had to retype the above the best I could from memory because Leo had marked this Post as Answered.  The only way I knew to make it active was to delete my original post.  Leo please respect my efforts and leave this post unanswered until it has been answered 100%.  I wish to have all the necessary information in one post so that the readers may find their answer in one place.

Monday, December 31, 2012 3:15 AM
  • I figured 8 would find and install pretty much all drivers especially the chipset so I did not search for them.  The P5N-D has an NVIDIA nForce C55/MCP31 Chipset.  The downloadable driver from ASUS was revision V15.37 dated 07-21-2009 and for Win 7.  I gave up trying to find the chipset version in Win 8 so downloaded and installed chipset drivers thinking I would be warned during installation if newer drivers were already installed.  I never got a warning so I assumed everything went alright.

I was happy to find that the microphone worked properly in Skype right after the installation of the chipset drivers.  I Shutdowned my PC and re booted.  I was disappointed to find that the microphone did not work in Skype.  I did another Shutdown and again Skype microphone did not work.  I unplugged and plugged in my USB Mic and it works in Skype.

I am also noticing two volume adjusters for Skype in my Volume Mixer.  Only one seams to work.

Ventrillo works perfect.  In Ventrilo/Settings/ Output or Input Device, I am able to use Default DirectSound Device. It all works.

Skype has issues  <<< Problem Not Solved.

Monday, December 31, 2012 4:51 AM
  • Hi, 

I did some test on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012  and the USB microphone level is 20 dB less than on Windows 7. 

Our USB device use to work fine with a microphone level of 3 out of 100 on Windows 7. Now our customers have to change the level to 57 out of 100 on Windows 8 to be able to hear something until we get a patch. Also the sound will be distorted because of the high gain. 

If your Audio USB device doesn't work with Windows 8 then send an email to audio-solutions@atus.com explaining the problem. 

They might get enough complaint and then release a fix for it.

Tchimiche

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 6:05 PM