none
Unable to install device driver software

Question

• Hi,

I have somewhat recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 but my problem occured after having Windows 7 for about a week. I am unable to use my wireless mouse as when I plug the sensor device into the usb port it recognizes it and attempts to install the driver software via searching for it on windows update, but it fails. I originally had it working with windows 7 for a while until one night I shut it down with windows updates to install, then the next morning it failed when I tried to connect the wireless device. It is a logitech wireless mouse that was originally part of a keyboard/mouse combo but I'm just using the mouse portion as I have a laptop now.

Here are the things I've done and some conclusions that I've come to:
    • I have uninstalled,reboot,reinstalled and updated everything in my device manager
      Including updating the BIOS and Motherboard chipsets
    • I have tried to get the updates from windows update manullay and it still fails
    • I have gone to HP's website and installed every update on their for my computer, although its fairly new, 08/09 so there were only a few things to update.
    • I have done multiple system restores to try and set the computer back before the problem was occuring
    • I have tried powering off the computer and removing the battery and power sources as a type of full restart to the computer with no effect.
    • I have gone to logitechs website and downloaded the latest setpoint version which still didn't help the wireless mouse work, unless there are other options in the software that I don't know about, I could use some information on that.
    • Finally I bought a new optical wireless mouse thinking that the problem might be its incompatibility with Windows 7 (even though it was working at one time) and the new wireless mouse had the same problem, plugged in the usb driver and the device software fails to install.

So the usb ports recognize the devices, as I have an external Harddrive that I attach via usb and that recognizes and works fine. I have also tried a flash drive that installs the software fine and works. My guess is that its not the usb ports directly but something with where windows installs the updates, I don't know if its been cluttered with stuff that it can't install anymore or what. But I am out of ideas and have searched all over the internet for answers.

Computer specs:
      HP G60 Notebook
      Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
      AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-75 2.20 Ghz
      3 GB RAM
      NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G
      BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.1 Release 6.1

Thanks for any help that you can give. I would attach my dxdiag file but there doesn't appear to be a way to attach files.
    • Edited by Piney7 Saturday, January 09, 2010 7:56 PM Added more things that I've done.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 7:39 PM

Answers

• hey guys thanks for your responses, I ended up just doing a total reinstall of win7 with the install disc. I couldn't figure out any solutions to the problem. It is fixed for now.
    • Marked as answer by Piney7 Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:53 AM

All replies

• to reset the windows updates see this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058  as for attaching the files, upload them in the public folder at www.skydrive.com
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 7:53 PM
  • I tried that fix and it didn't work, I could try the aggressive approach (i did the default one). Here is a link to my public folder with my dxdiag file. Let me know if there is any other information that might be useful in solving this problem.

http://cid-f5fa6b63dee9c7cb.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1&isFromRichUpload=1
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Hi Piney7

Have you try uninstalling the updates? By going to ctrl panel>under programs and features choose view install updates and uninstall from there since you mention the issue occurs after the updates. The other alternative is the do a reinstall of win 7 or try doing a repair

Ask the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it i suggest to leave it as it is if you're able to get it going, oh ya between i have a similar logitech wireless sensor, keyboard cum mouse and is working fine with xp, vista and win 7 but the only thing is that i didn't install any update
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:52 AM
    Answerer
  • How would i go about doing a win 7 repair?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Why not use a system restore point that is  before the failed updates
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Reverting to a previous sytem restore fails because it can't restore a pointless file that I don't need anymore.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Reverting to a previous sytem restore fails because it can't restore a pointless file that I don't need anymore.

Have you thought of doing a recovery instead either from the recovery disk or partition
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:49 AM
    Answerer
  • The problem is, I did an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 so my recovery disks are of Windows Vista. And I'm not sure how the recovery partition works, does my recovery partition drive convert to the Windows 7 format when I upgraded or did it stay with the orginally pre-installed Vista format? Could you explain the process of doing a recovery from partition?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:51 PM
  • hey guys thanks for your responses, I ended up just doing a total reinstall of win7 with the install disc. I couldn't figure out any solutions to the problem. It is fixed for now.
    • Marked as answer by Piney7 Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:53 AM