none
windows cannot connect to the printer the local print spooler service is not running please restart the spooler or restart the m

Question

• We have 7 computers on a local network 3 of them have local printers 2 and are brand new Vista equiped. we shared the local printers on the vista machines but they are unaccessable from one vista to the other... it works from an XP to a Vista, but not from a Vista to a Vista.... go figure.... When we try to add the printers, the error message that we get is: "windows cannot connect to the printer. the local print spooler service is not running. please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

I would appreciate any help...

Thank you

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:19 AM

Answers

• I ran into this exact same issue today.

The way we fixed it was by checking the Properties on the Print Spooler service under services.msc.

Go to the Log On Tab and make sure that the 'Local System account' option is selected along with the 'Allow service to interact with desktop' box.

Then set the Print spooler service to auto and start it.  After that you should have no problem installing your printer (s). 

Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:03 PM
  • I was also having the same problem.  I was trying to connect to the shared printer by opening up the network page, finding the shared printer on the computer that had it, right clicking on the printer name and selecting "Connect..." from the context menu.   This did not work as it failed with the same error reported above.

I then tried connecting to the printer by going to the Printer page and selecting "Add a printer" from the button above.  This opened up a Wizard that searched for printers available.  I saw the printer I wanted and successfully connected to it and made it my default.

Hope this helps anyone having this annoying problem.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:57 PM
  • You can start the Print Spooler using the following procedure:

1. In the Administrative Tools folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance and then Administrative Tools), open the Services snap-in.
    2. Locate the Print Spooler service in the list of services and confirm that the status is Started. If it is not, select the service and on the Action menu, click Start.

You can also do this from an elevated command prompt window (right-click Command Prompt in the Start menu and click Run as Administrator) by typing the following command: net stop spooler && net start spooler

(This is actually two commands, "Net stop spooler" and "Net start spooler", entered at the same time so that Windows processes both commands, one after the other).
    Monday, October 22, 2007 12:08 AM
  • This can happen if Print Spooler needs other services, and these services are not running. To resolve this issue, use the following procedure:

1. In Services, right-click Print Spooler and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Dependencies tab. The first box lists all of the system services that must be running for Print Spooler to start. These are the dependencies.
    3. Make a note of each service, click OK and then start each service upon which Print Spooler is dependent, if the service is not already started. If a service was not started, right-click it, click Properties and then confirm that the Startup type is Automatic.

I hope that this helps!

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Start > Run > cmd and type "net stop spooler" after that "net start spooler" or start > run > service.msc and restart it over the GUI.

Regards,

Kuskaya

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:05 PM

All replies

• I've been working all day today on the same problem. Please post if you find a solution.
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:43 AM
  • It appears that the "Workgroup" Name was not the same on all computers... I went to Control panel, System, Change settings, and made the correction to the "Workgroup" Name to make it the same as the other ones...

Hope it helps!!!

Monday, March 05, 2007 12:40 AM
  •  

Thanks for passing it on but I had made that change already and still no joy.

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:08 PM
  • I was also having the same problem.  I was trying to connect to the shared printer by opening up the network page, finding the shared printer on the computer that had it, right clicking on the printer name and selecting "Connect..." from the context menu.   This did not work as it failed with the same error reported above.

I then tried connecting to the printer by going to the Printer page and selecting "Add a printer" from the button above.  This opened up a Wizard that searched for printers available.  I saw the printer I wanted and successfully connected to it and made it my default.

Hope this helps anyone having this annoying problem.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:57 PM
  • That worked for me, too. Boy, what a kludge. I use to just put in the server name (e.g. \\server\) and look at the shares and right-click and connect! That took all of 15 seconds. Now I have to scan and this is a mess. Not impressed with Vista so far. Sad
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:47 PM
  •  

hope that helps a little bit

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:45 AM
  • does anyone know how to start the local print spooler service. when i go into administrative tools - services and try to start the print spooler i then get the error 1297. microsoft will not offer support for their software unless you pay them $59 what a game
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 2:43 AM
  • The only way I could fix it is to install the printer locally through the USB port then putting it back on the network and installing it.  I had the issue with a samsung laser printer shutting down the print spool service and getting that same error.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:16 PM
  • I have the same damn problem as the screen shot above.  I'm about to give up on Vista that I paid good money for and go back to XP.  Vista is ***.  Windows Media Player always skips on EVERY SONG right around the 85% of a song.......This freaking bites.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:39 PM
  • I ran into this exact same issue today.

The way we fixed it was by checking the Properties on the Print Spooler service under services.msc.

Go to the Log On Tab and make sure that the 'Local System account' option is selected along with the 'Allow service to interact with desktop' box.

Then set the Print spooler service to auto and start it.  After that you should have no problem installing your printer (s). 

Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Hi guys,

Have you ever tried to to add the new vista machine to the approved servers.Local policies > user configuration > administrative templates > control panel > approved server.I was able to solve many these type of issues by adding the vista print server to the approved servers.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Monday, June 11, 2007 1:08 PM
  • I have vista, and the default had this ('local system account' and 'allow service to interact with desktop' as well as being on 'automatic start'), but still cannot connect to the server printers.

With my windows xp computer, never had this problem.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:20 PM
  • I have a small network of about four computers. a printer is connected to one computer with vista operating system. The printer is shared though but every morning i have to reconnect every  client to the server before they can print. Also there is another pc with the same vista. Anytime i try connect to the server with the same vista, it gives me an error message which reads, " windows cannot connect to the printer the local print spooler service is not running please restart the spooler or restart the machine. 

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:42 AM
  • G'day, I was wondering if any of you managed to find an answer to your problem as i'm now in the same "vista boat"  Can anyone tell me how do i "re-start the local print spooler" - nothing i seem to be doing is working!!! Thanks.........

Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Start > Run > cmd and type "net stop spooler" after that "net start spooler" or start > run > service.msc and restart it over the GUI.

Regards,

Kuskaya

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Has anyone managed to figure this out yet?  My parents have an XP Pro machine with a printer connected directly to it, shared and a Vista laptop that is using the shared printer.  They are on a workgroup and the whole thing was working fine until today.  Now he cant print, cant see the printer in Network, and when trying to delete it and re-add it, gets this wacky print spooler error.  I had him restart his print spooler servicers and it didnt fix it.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

• Proposed as answer by wpete574 Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:40 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Sunday, September 16, 2007 12:39 AM
  • Hey Kuskaya

This just saved me endless hours of agravation. Works perfectly to solve my "spooler service is not running" problem with XP. Thanks a bunch!

MikeMusician

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Hi! I have the same problem as well. Eveytime i go to my control panel and click on add printers.  I cant click on the add a printer because a i get a msg saying that my printer spooler service is not running. if anyone can help me with this problem it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanx

Hash

• Proposed as answer by wpete574 Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:39 PM
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:27 AM
  • alright i got it know go control pannel and then go to back up and restore centre (some computers do not have) and then go to restore files or just click this and it will send you there click here if u never back up b4 your srewed

this does work 100%

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:54 AM
  •  

i got it click here
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:39 AM
  •  Anonymous6490 wrote:

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:05 AM
  • WHere is services.msc?

Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:27 PM
  • You can start the Print Spooler using the following procedure:

1. In the Administrative Tools folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance and then Administrative Tools), open the Services snap-in.
    2. Locate the Print Spooler service in the list of services and confirm that the status is Started. If it is not, select the service and on the Action menu, click Start.

You can also do this from an elevated command prompt window (right-click Command Prompt in the Start menu and click Run as Administrator) by typing the following command: net stop spooler && net start spooler

(This is actually two commands, "Net stop spooler" and "Net start spooler", entered at the same time so that Windows processes both commands, one after the other).
    Monday, October 22, 2007 12:08 AM
  • WHat is you don't have the Back Up and Restore Centre?

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:11 AM
  • When I go to start back up the print spooler in Admin Tools it gives me a "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." Does anyone know what to do if that happens?

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:19 AM
  • This can happen if Print Spooler needs other services, and these services are not running. To resolve this issue, use the following procedure:

1. In Services, right-click Print Spooler and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Dependencies tab. The first box lists all of the system services that must be running for Print Spooler to start. These are the dependencies.
    3. Make a note of each service, click OK and then start each service upon which Print Spooler is dependent, if the service is not already started. If a service was not started, right-click it, click Properties and then confirm that the Startup type is Automatic.

I hope that this helps!

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:31 AM
  • THank you, but it brought up an LexBce Server.  I don't know where to go to see if this is started. Jason, do you?

Monday, October 22, 2007 1:11 AM
  •  

I checked the dependencies and verified they are started.  I have tried all the other suggested fixes (i.e...stop/restart) also.  I still cannot get the print spooler to start.  Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to get the print spooler started?
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:27 AM
  • This worked for me

WORKAROUND

To work around this problem, restart the computer. Or, restart the Print Spooler service. To restart the Print Spooler service, use one of the following methods:

Method 1: Restart the service by using the Services console

1. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, and then click services.msc in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. Right-click Print Spooler, and then click Stop.
    3. Right-click Print Spooler, and then click Start.

After that I was able to add my network printer and print. Several frustrating days later.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Finally got my printer to install and work tonight. I clicked start and then search and then all files and folders. Enter services.msc in search box. I got two search hits. Double click Services C:\I386 find LexBce server on list, double click,  in general tab set startup type to automatic and then click apply,  click start, click ok, find print spooler on list, double click and then set startup type as auto, click start, click ok, exit all windows and restart cpu. My printer installed as it was supposed to and is working perfectly.

• Proposed as answer by Bernd_Hartwig Monday, January 28, 2013 2:45 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2007 11:17 AM
  • Jason,Thank You so much for your help. The other tips here failed to address my problem. As it turns out, my LexBce server was disabled. I will now go and try installing my new printer.

Heather
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:35 PM
  • What is the answer to this problem?

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:06 PM
  • What is the answer to this problem?

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:09 PM
  • When You get a printer subspooler error when you are printer sharing, go to the source computer and restart the spooler.

There probally are a ton of jobs that need to be deleted.Go Click Start>All Programs>Accessories.
    Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.When you are in the command prompt enter the following.>Net stop Spooler >del /Q C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*  >Net start Spooler.

You might have to create a local port in your printer server properties.

start>control panel>printers and faxes right click any space near the printer and you should get an option of RUN AS ADMINSTRATOR. Choose Server Properties. Click on the ports tab. Click add a new port. Choose local port then click the new port button. A popup will appear enter the computers name then the printer share name.

EQ \\mary\Dell 1720.

\\Computers name\Printers share name

If your netbios names are not working use the ip address of the computer that sharing the printer and the printers share name.

EQ \\192.168.1.101\Dell 1720

\\Computers ip\Printers share name

To find out what the computer's ip address is do an "IPCONFIG" in the command prompt.

To find out what the computer's name do an "ECHO %USERDOMAIN%" in the command prompt.

After you created the local port go to the add a printer wizard and choose a local printer.

Choose the port we created in the ports drop down. The wizard will ask for a cd or disk, just point it the printer in the hardware manufactures and select your printer.Follow the rest of the prompts and you will be able to create a new printer.

Print a test page and rejoice!

Saturday, November 03, 2007 8:57 PM
  •  

no its not working iam having the problem anybody give me some solutinon
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:18 AM
  • The 7th Post here has my same problem!

services.msc to start printer splooler

We deleted all the printers had 3 installed.

When trying to reinstall I get what you see in Post #7  - the HOT FIX from Microsoft did not work!!

---------------------------------------------------------------Need my printers back!!! ----------------------------------------

My XP PC's are having no problem printing!!

nahotfx@microsoft.com wrote:

Hello,

The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for you to download.

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut and paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle. Use the second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KB Article Number(s): 933454
    Language: All (Global)
    Platform: i386
    Password: -
    Password Changes On: 11/13/2007
    Next Password:

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to this hot fix location!

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:17 PM
  • I followed your instructions and thought I had it cracked. The print spooler is now started. I try to print and get another window asking me to load a printer and the box is empty. If I insert the printer the error box shows with "Print spooler servive not running".  What next?

highways

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Nothing in these messages has helped. My print spooler (under services) keeps stopping within 20 seconds after I restart it as described above.  I am printing on a local printer (no network).  I could not figure out how to find or run the hot fix above.  any help greatly appreciated.  THanks, JK93 

Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Did you get a "1068" error?

My daughter called and had this on her laptop.

I took the advice from the post early on in this forum and edited my daughters registry

so that only "RPCSS" was showing...as on my computer at home.

Printer started working...she is totally delighted and loves her dad!!!

Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:41 AM
  • This was really very useful information and I was able to fix the problem in less than a min. after reading the answer.

Ovce again thanks a lot " AGENT 1072"

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:12 AM
  • I would like to thank the author of this POST!

You were right on.  I tried all of the other solutions/suggestion to no avail. 

The bottom line is this error happens when your print spooler fills up to

max. capacity (if there is such a thing.)

When I went in to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\  and

deleted *.* my problem was solved instantly.  I had a VERY large

print job that was either corrupted or too large for the que.

Thanks much.  This didn't happen in XP Pro.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Thank you very much.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:02 AM
  • Hi

I had the same problem..if the same problem exist in there then open services and go in the properties of Print Spooler and go to Recovery Tab and select first,second and subsequent failures 'Restart the Service'. and restart the service again may it help you..

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:06 PM
  •  

Where do I go to get to "services?"
    Friday, February 08, 2008 9:10 PM
  • This worked for me.  GP

Problem : error 1075 and Local print spooler service is not running.

problem description : I have a Lexmark x4270 all in one. I installed the driver for it in my new laptop running Vista. Turns out the driver is not for Vista but XP. I uninstalled the XP driver and downloaded a Vista driver from Lexmark. When I try to run the printer software I get a message "Local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I tried all of that. I have looked this problem up on the web and it is quite common with Vista. Many of the "solutions" say it is a problem with an incomplete removal of the incorrect printer driver and they show how to correct in the registry. I am not comfortable tinkering with the registry and thought I'd consult with you first.

------------------------------------------------------

I tried "everything" I could to fix the problem of getting "error 1075" fixed in my HP laptop running Vista.  HP came up with simple solution below.  The regedit part is what fixed mine.  I did not need the safe mode part.  I think Lexmark should add the solution to your knowledge base.

==============================

From HP:  Please perform the below given steps in safe mode to resolve the issue.

Reboot your notebook and press F8. The system will show some booting options select safe mode.

Note: Starting computer in safe mode may take some time.

Uninstall the printer using Programs and Features from the control panel of your notebook.

Uninstalling any software from Control Panel :

1. Click on Vista (start) button

2. Click on control panel

3. Double click on Programs and Features

4. Click on YOUR Lexmark Printer  and click on remove.

Download and reinstall the printer software using the below given link :

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:438:0:0&searchLang=en&os_group=Windows%20Vista&target=

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.

Copy and paste the entire link in a new browser window.

After the installation of drivers, restart the notebook into normal mode. Now plese check with printing any document. If the still persists then perform the below given steps :

Click on Vista (Start) button, and type Regedit.exe in search bar

Navigate to the following branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Spooler

In the right-pane, double-click the DependOnService value

Delete the existing data, and then type RPCSS

Close Regedit.exe

Restart the computer.

This should resolve the issue.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Friday, February 15, 2008 3:03 AM
  • having the same problem printer not working and getting the message printer spool not running.

any help would be appreciated.  Many thanks
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Thank you.  I was having the same problem after installing new software.  It was a quick and easy solution that worked like a charm.  Thanks again!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:11 AM
  • Thanks! It fixed my problem 100%

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:46 PM
  •  

this actually is not a 100% spooer problem and most people will see spooler service is already up and running on their computers. you will most likely have this problem if the computer the printer is connected to is using windows XP/2000. yet again having xp/2000 is not the sole reason why u should have an error message like this. if you are using a virtual computer like vmware or multiple network adaptors you are likely to see error messages like this.

what i would recommend is first go to add printer and once you get the error message, only close the error message but not the list where printers are listed. now without closing that window open you network, double click the computer where the printer is attached, right click the printer and click connect once(if) the connection is successful then go back to the printer list that u havent closed yet. chose your printer and click next. that should be a temporary fix for your issue, however having said that if you are having this problem you probably are having issues with the speed of your network and also accessibity of some of your computers on your network. i would recommend an optimization of your network starting with removing unnecessary protocols from the computers.

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:17 AM
  • I'm pretty much at the end of my tether here! been trying to get my Vista laptop to print thru my XP machine over the network for the last 4 hours! Everytime I try to connect to the printer, the spooler on the vista machine goes down. I can restart it no problem but it happens again if I try to connect. I have tried installing the printer locally thru my USB port (which it does fine) and then try to change the port that Vista prints thru but it can never find the XP machine if I type it in manually.

Any help would be much appreciated

Stephen
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:04 AM
  • I am not that familier with Vista could you tell me how to get to the options taht you mention in this post?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:24 AM
  •  

Thank you - but:

I am able to start the print spooler as mentioned in step 1 & 2, unfortunately, when I try to connect to printer (HP) it return to status unstarted. Under the bar description it it reads: "storing files in memory for later print" . Four print jobs (Total 2,5 MB) is queing, and I am unable to delete them as the print spooler returns to "not running" mode everytime I try.

Help me please!  (using VIsta!)

PS: could a solution be to reinstall evrything?

Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:18 AM
  • Ah, perfect! Thanks a bunch! Smile
    Friday, May 23, 2008 2:46 PM
  • I began having the same problem this morning on a client running Windows Vista - they had been working for 2 months without a problem.  The event viewer was logging error 1000 and 1001 related to the print spooler service.  I could start the spooler, but then when I would go to add a printer, I would receive a stop-error and then subsequently the spooler service was stopped again.

Resolution for me:

Go to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers - in this directory, there was a file named NNNNN.SPL - I removed this file (deleted it) and then restarted the print spooler.  Everything was fine at that point.

It appears that there was something "wrong" with an Adobe PDF document that the user had attempted to print so the spooler file must have become corrupted. 

Monday, June 02, 2008 5:34 PM
  •  Patrick rivard wrote:

We have 7 computers on a local network 3 of them have local printers 2 and are brand new Vista equiped. we shared the local printers on the vista machines but they are unaccessable from one vista to the other... it works from an XP to a Vista, but not from a Vista to a Vista.... go figure.... When we try to add the printers, the error message that we get is: "windows cannot connect to the printer. the local print spooler service is not running. please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

I would appreciate any help...

Thank you

am also faced with this problem pls if you get the solution let me know thank you pls

Bulama

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Thanks, for the help. I had the same problem. I could not install a network printer, bu I followed your procedure, and the printer was installed without any problems. Thanks again.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:49 PM
  •  Agent1072 wrote:

I ran into this exact same issue today.

This seems to have worked like a charm for me!  I knew the "other user" looked suspicious... but I didn't think to change the setting!  Thanks a million!

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:33 AM
  • I went to started the spooler and it doesn't fix the problem.  Settings were correct to interact with the desktop.

All of the sudden, I came into the office and the network doesn't work as well as my printer.  Dependency services or groups are not able to run for some reason.

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  HomeNetWorkGal wrote:
    Ah, perfect! Thanks a bunch!

I am facing this problem from a few days,

When I started my PC suddenly I received a message that

"unable to open services Print Spooler  for reading on Local computer

Error 5: Access is Denied".

Friday, August 15, 2008 6:08 AM
  • I tried that but when I clicked the button to " Add Printer" it gave me the same message except it started with "Windows can't open Add Printer"
    Friday, August 29, 2008 3:56 PM
  • I typed net stop spooler & net start spooler and got "system error 1068"
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:21 AM
  • This is one of the most frustrating Windows issues ever.  My spooler service status keeps going back and forth between Started and Stopped every minute or so.  I have 2 printers connected to my PC via USB (Canon Pixma MP530 and HP LaserJet 1022.)  Why does it keep turning off on its own...and more importantly, how can I get my printers to work again???

Friday, September 05, 2008 12:44 AM
  • I can get to the services folder, but there is no Print Spooler in it, unless it is under a name I do no recognize.  I searched "spooler" in my computer's search, and the search had no results in my entire computer.  I don't understand why my system tells me to turn on my spooler or restart it when it doesn't even exist!  Am I supposed to download one somehow or what?  I'm pretty frustrated right now and don't know what to do about it!
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:35 PM
  • I don't mean to inturrupt you conversations but I have never posted on one of these and I dont know how to start a new one.  I have a similar problem that is driving me nuts.  I updated my windows xp to SP3 and just got a new printer.  Its a canon pixima, I downloaded the drivers and software but when I go to add printer it tells me "operation could not be completed.  The print spooler service is not running."  If I go to add Hardware it says "an error occured during installation RPC server is unavailable."  So I went to computer management and RPC is running but I restarted it anyways and tried starting print spooler and it gives me "could not start print spooler service on Local computer.  Error 2 system cannot find file specified."  Please help me I have been through all forums and can't find the solution I can't firgure out what else to do! 

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:41 PM
  • I found the problem just to let anyone know if they are experiencing the same problem.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32, and then click OK.

Note %windir% represents the folder where Windows is installed.
    2. Right-click the spoolsv file, and then click Rename.
    3. Type oldspool, and then press ENTER.
    4. Insert the Windows XP disk in the computer's CD or DVD drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation from starting automatically.
    5. Click Start, click Run, type expand CD drive:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe, and then click OK.

Notes
    Make sure that there is a character space between "spoolsv.ex_" and "%windir%."
    CD drive represents the drive letter of the CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP disk. For example, if the letter of the CD or DVD drive is E, type the following, and then click OK:
    expand E:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe
    6. Restart the computer.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:19 AM
  • When I type in the cmd "net stop spooler" and "then net start spooler" I get: "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied". Any ideas?

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Where do I find SERVICES... I looked in Control Panel and searched my computer I cannot find how to find my print spooler.

Friday, September 19, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Hello,

I am also very frustrated.  I'm receiving the error 2 the system cannot find the file specified.  Could not start the print spooler service on local computer.

I have tried the above steps and replaced the spoolsv.exe & spoolss.dll files from the installation CD.  I still have the same issue.  I have found other articles that have instructed me to clean up other printers from the registery.  I have done this as well, but the error still remains.

Any suggestions?    My sanity is at stake.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:18 PM
  • So what happens when it tells me:

System error 5 has occurred

Access is denied.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 1:13 PM
  • I get the same error message and you know what is most annoying? Up until this morning I have been printing to the exact same printer every single day. If I log in to the XP boot of my machine - I can print to this printer. So the moral seems to be: Vista only works when it wants to. Wish I could work on that basis...

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:14 PM
  • Yes I did the same - and it was that simple!!! - THANKS

Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:31 PM
  •  Anonymous6490 wrote:

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

The print spooler can be restarted by clicking the start button then type in services in the search box. That will bring up a list of the services. Scroll down untill you see the print spooler, then click on start or restart.

That will restart the spooler but it might stop again.Once the print spooler is running you may want to try going to Add a Printer. The Wizard should search for the printers available and you can select the one you want.

Hopefully this works for you.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Thanks Kuskaya

I had just bought this Canon LBP2900B Laserjet USB Printer and this spooler problem kept popping up. But I started the Print Spooler service by using service console GUI and I am now installing my printer. Thanks buddy.

dr_renukadas@hotmail.com

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

worked fine with me; had the same spoolsv cannot start. Deleted stucked print job at C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\ and restarted. Printers work O.K. now

Jan

Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:27 PM
  •  

Hi, I have the same problem, the print spooler is missing, tried to start the spooler and got got the message: System error 2 has ocurred.  System cannot find the file specified.  I want to do what you did but I couldn't find my Windows XP disk.  Is there another way I can do this.  Or is there a place where I can download the files I need from?  Thanks a lot for your help.
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Hi mch3:

Left Click Start Button

Then click on Run

then paste
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\

to the right of the word open

left click OK

This will bring you to your Printers folder - whatever is in there, delete it - if nothing is in this folder, this solution will not work.

Restart your computer

You should be all set to go now

Friday, November 07, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Accidentally found a solution.  with both 'Printers' and 'Services' on screen at the same time, noticed that each time i clicked on 'add a printer' and then selected from network list, the spooler service shut off.  So i clicked the green arrow to restart it.  After a couple of attempts (while ignoring and closing the error box), presto!  The printer was added and works perfectly.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Sounds like this was on XP?  I can't find the print spooler service on VISTA .  I think this would solve my problem if I could find the print spooler on VISTA!

Can anyone tell me how to find the spooler service on VISTA?

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:49 AM
  • I'm also looking for a fix for this. The spooler will work for a short while (alsmost a minute) and then I have to start it again. I have a HP Laserjet 1020 and HP OfficeJet 4255. The officejet seems to be working on and off now but the moment I try print to the laserjet i have to start the spooler again. I can't even seem to remove the printers and then add them again. I'm really getting frustrated with this one. Hope there is help out there. Thanks to all of those that have tried to help, it' s much appreicated.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:19 AM
  • Hi BIGTOES

Its the same for Vista or XP - I have VISTA!

Left Click Start Button

Then click on Run

then paste
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\

to the right of the word open

left click OK

This will bring you to your Printers folder - whatever is in there, delete it - if nothing is in this folder, this solution will not work.

Restart your computer
    Monday, November 10, 2008 11:17 PM
  • have clicked on add a printer but the wizard will not appear for the Dell Photo 926 printer

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Thank you very much for the advice. I was trying to install a Kodak printer driver, and it would not install properly. When I went to Add a printer, the spooler error message would appear. I followed your advice, re-install the software and the driver, and it finally worked!! I am starting to have a little bit more hope on Vista.

Monday, November 17, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Man, I have tried everything including putting the drivers on my laptop directly. I tried to install it as a network printer, but it wouldnt see it. If I pull up my wifes PC I see the printer, but it wont connect giving me that stupid error. I made sure that all the dependent programs were running. Man, I need HELP

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:39 AM
  • VISTA

Help...I have tried restarting the print spooler, reinstalling the device driver, and there is nothing in my windows print folder to delete.  I have forced the print spooler to stay started by changing the 1st-3rd occurences to "Restart" in the "Properties".  Now when I try to print it appears the print job is sent to the printer but when I look at the printer status it says "Error - Printing".  I have printed to this printer for months with no problems until today!!  Thanks for any assistance.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:13 PM
  • This worked for me on Vista.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------

I ran into this exact same issue today.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:40 PM
  • Could we get an update on this Vista problem from some of you smart folks out there.  I read and tried about every suggested solution and it is not working.

Peer-to-Peer, "Workgroup" (same name) but Vista won't allow me to connect to an XP machine that is sharing an HP 1022 printer.  Is suspect it may have something to do the the IP address schema (Vista using IpV4 and IPv6 )

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:12 PM
  • To everyone looking for the answer.

have been working this issue for some time and have only come to one solution. If you are working with networked printers you will have to do a re-install of the OS on the system that the spooler is not working on. I have done 600 systems and out of those I have had about 270 that have needed this fix. Once the re-install took the printers were added as usual and there were no problems. I have tried everything and a few other things that did not work. If you have a SOHO you will need to be sure that the workgroup is the same, network discovery is on (both systems) printer sharing, and password protection is off. I am sorry that there is no other solution to this issue and I do understand that re-install is a pain but so far that is the only solution to this problem. I have read threw the solutions that have worked for others, but they have not worked for me.

Good luck to you all.

• Proposed as answer by Saskchi Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:45 AM
    Friday, December 05, 2008 9:39 PM
  • I AM TRYING TO ADD A PRINTER TO ,MY LAPTOP AND I GET THE MESSAGE TO RESTART THE PRINTER SPOOLER. HOW DO I DO SO.
    • Proposed as answer by Dzoka Friday, March 27, 2009 9:49 PM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:32 PM
  • to solve the problem with network printers in Vista, try:
    1) download printer drivers and install them (without the printer)
    2) start adding printer through the control panel and
    3) choose Local printer and specify UNC path to the printer, like \\computer1\hplaser
    4) then specify the driver from the list
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:54 PM
  • What is GUI ?
    • Proposed as answer by Saskchi Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:19 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Graphical user interface = What you see on the screen
    • Proposed as answer by Saskchi Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Here is my answer as to how I fixed my issue. Please note this may or may not work for you.

Overview: No matter how you try to add the printer, the print spooler always stops/fails

Problem:

- I found through testing that drivers for my printer (HP1020) were already installed.
    - These drivers had become corrupt (would not uninstall through add/remove).
    - Would not let me manually remove them from system32\spool\w32x86\3 (your folder might be called differently).

Solution:
    - What I did was to log on to the machine in safe mode using command line see the link below
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/
    - I removed the old driver files. BEWARE: You will need to determine which files are your printer drivers
    - Once I removed the drivers, I logged in to the machine again and verified the files were gone.
    - I then found the latest drivers for my HP 1020 and installed the drivers/printer on the laptop
    - I verified the system32\spool\w32x86\3 had the latest drivers (date)
    - I then unpluged the HP1020 printer (usb) from my laptop. DO NOT delete the local printer yet! The printer will go offline = Normal.
    - I plugged the HP1020 back onto the file/print server hosting the network printer
    - On the laptop I added the printer using the add printer wizard and choose network printer
    - It found the printer again and this time it added the printer without causing the print spooler to die.
    - Printed out a test page with no problems
    - You can now delete the local printer (not network) printer if you wish.

Summary:
    - Get rid of old drivers for your printer
    - Install printer locally first (this will install the drivers correctly).
    - Add network printer (your computer will use the current drivers installed in the step above)
    - You can now remove the local printer. Please note: this step will not remove the drivers.

Hope this helps!

Jorge
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Hi Byrds09,

The reason your solution works is because you are clearing the drivers from system32\spool\w32x86 when you reinstall. See my solution below which explains how to remove the files without a reinstall. Hope this helps.

Jorge
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:47 AM
  • I have a similar issue......I have my printer physically connected to a Vista system....I was able to load my HP 4200 software and drivers to this system.  I have via wireless network connected 2 other Vista systems, 1 XP system and 1 Windows 7 system.  Through the add a printer wizard, I have loaded the network printer on all of these systems and was able to print a test page and other documents from each, but after some time when I try to print again from any of the syatems, I get the spooler service not running message.  I then have to restart the spooler manually to be able to print again.  Could this be related to the power saving setting on my main system?  Please help.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:03 PM
  • I have also been working on this problem for a long time, and can confirm that reinstalling the OS has been the only fix that worked after trying literally every thing else mentioned in this thread and several others on one of my affected machines. However, I remain convinced that there must be a way to fix the problem without having to resort to a clean install -- and I intend to keep working on another affected machine (currently running Win7 RTM) until I figure it out. I'm reporting on my test findings in this thread: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/683aa0f0-5fe4-424f-bf6a-d1a136753c7c
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I was having this problem too, after a clean reinstall of Win7 32 bit Ultimate on my Dell laptop.  Everything was set up correctly in the services, network shared printers and even the homegroup printer sharing.

None of the above suggestions worked.  Here is what worked for me:

I redownloaded a copy of the HP 1010 series drivers from http://www.findmysoft.com/drivers/Hp-LaserJet-1010-1012-1015-3-0--driver.html

Opened the folder where the install files were unzipped, and double clicked hpsetup.exe, went through the screens.  When asked if setting up a local or a printer shared on a network I said shared on a network.  When finished, I rebooted and the hp laserjet 1012 was installed and the test page printed fine.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:47 PM
  • I also fixed my spooling problem by reinstalling the HP 7300 printer driver.  There was a patch that specifically addressed the problem.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:12 PM
  • I had this problem on one of our networks it was caused by having  unmanaged symantec endpoint network threat protection installed once disabled this stopped the problem
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:36 AM
  • I had 4 computers with Vista on a network do the same thing this week. It was an update. Go to Programs, Accessories and system tools. Then click on system restore. Go to a date 3 or 4 days ago and let the system do its work. It fixed all of the systems. Then set updates to download and let you choose what to install. Don’t install anything for the past week. I hope this helps. wpete574

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:46 PM
  • This post might be already resolved, if you are currently experiencing the same issue with Windows Vista and Windows 7 using HP printers, here is what is going to fix the problem.  Works 1000%

1. Stop Print Spooler Service.
    2. Go into registry (Run> regedit > Enter):
    3. Browse for this path location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\*Printer Name*\
    4. Delete the whole HP LJ 1022 folder (or the Printer Name folder*, )
    5. Start Print Spooler Service. (start > run > service.msc)
    6. Add Local Printer and do not select files automatically. Select the USB virtual printer port NOT LPT1                                                  

7. Then try to test print and also add other printers if on a shared network.

Thanks,

IT_Troubleshooter

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Hi Grampy Peter,

Lexmark X4270 All-in-one Printer Driver and software updates can be downloaded from the link in the connection. I hope I could help.

Good Luck

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:36 PM
  • heya guys, all i did was just restarted the modem worked like a treat
    Monday, July 19, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Very helpful, my printer started working!!!

Thanks Jason.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Great advice Jason. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Fixed my problem!

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Awesome, thank you very much Jason! Fixed my problem right away. I tried the connection, trying reinstalling the printer, and tried changing the toner. Very helpful, your solution fixed it in no-time!
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:20 AM
  • I had a similar problem when installing a printer gave the message ' local print Spooler service not running' so the printer installed but would not work. It turns out that installing the printer also installed a new spooler executable which didn't work.

I selected from the Start button 'Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Services' and found spooler  list and right clicked on it and selected properties. The service status said stopped.

From the info on the properties page I went to the folder where the executable is stored and had a look. In there I found a spooler.exe which had a date when I bought my laptop. there was also another file called spooler.exe.org with an earlier date similar to all other files in that folder. I renamed the current spooler.exe and copied the spooler.exe.org to spooler.exe - then I went back to the Services page and reselected spooler  - clicked the start button and this time it started. The printer works now.

Oh and I set the startup type to be automatic on the properties page of the spooler in the services list.

Saturday, August 07, 2010 7:47 PM
  • getting same issue.did you find a way out?
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:18 AM
  • this was exactly what I needed, thank you, the fax service was not running and it was on the list of dependencies.  Thank you very much
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:03 PM
  • This was the first message I got: 

I tried your suggestion, and it worked for about 15 seconds, and then stopped working.  I now get this error message:

Do you know what I should do now?  This is the only printer, for one computer (only administrator account on computer).    The printer is a HP Photosmart C3180 All-In-One. 

Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:54 PM
  • To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32, and then click OK.

Note %windir% represents the folder where Windows is installed.
    2. Right-click the spoolsv file, and then click Rename.
    3. Type oldspool, and then press ENTER.
    4. Insert the Windows XP disk in the computer's CD or DVD drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation from starting automatically.
    5. Click Start, click Run, type expand CD drive:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe, and then click OK.

Notes • Make sure that there is a character space between "spoolsv.ex_" and "%windir%." 
    • CD drive represents the drive letter of the CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP disk. For example, if the letter of the CD or DVD drive is E, type the following, and then click OK:
    expand E:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe

6. Restart the computer.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I just want to say thanks , It is the only solution that really worked.
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Sorry I forgot to give "NMORELL" the credit for this solution. After wearing myself out trying to find a solution, this is the only one that really worked.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 4:49 AM
  • Sorry I forgot to give "NMORELL" the credit for this solution. After wearing myself out trying to find a solution, this is the only one that really worked.

Dear All,

Why this microsoft not providing any patches ( Hotfix ).  Nowdays , i am facing a big problem because of print spooler issue. Can any one from Microsoft can help us please....??????

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Hello Jason,

Thank you so much for the help you have provided by putting this above information online. 

We have just bought a new printer HP Envy 100 eALL-IN-ONE Print -D410 and it was almost impossible to install its software because of that spooler thing.  

Thank you, 

God bless

Friday, January 21, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Good morning, After 39months and 22 days, you are stil helping people like me out. Your instruction posted at 12:31 in 07 resolved my printing issue. Many thanks.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:32 AM
  • I have the same pop block posted May 21, 2010 from IT_Troubleshooter.

I only have 1 computer "HP Pavilion" with windows vista. I did re-start my machine/ nothing change; I went to services.msc>services, but print spooler in not there. Think, I tried all the advices listed here but its not working. I also tried the following process:

1. Stop Print Spooler Service.
    2. Go into registry (Run> regedit > Enter):
    3. Browse for this path location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\*Printer Name*\
    4. Delete the whole HP LJ 1022 folder (or the Printer Name folder*, )
    5. Start Print Spooler Service. (start > run > service.msc)
    6. Add Local Printer and do not select files automatically. Select the USB virtual printer port NOT LPT1                                                  

I went up to the 4th step, but cant find my way for the 5th step.............. PLEASE HELP

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Ho

How about HP for desk top computer?

I went to follow your instruction in red, but did not find the spooler.

Please help!!!

I only have 1 computer; local print spooler is not working.......... I can't find the print spooler too in services, just like whats been advice listed here.

PLEASE HELP

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:35 AM
  • That has worked thank you
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:40 AM
  • I don't know who you are, but I love you!
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Hi Jason i have a pre installed version of vista home ,i recently installed a lexmark printer which now uninstalled because it created to many issues  .The properties of the print spooler have no system dependants . the spooler starts. but when trying to reinstall my brother printer it turns of and gives me a system 5 error.when i try to install the printer while displaying the spool properties it gives an error message 0x000006be. hope you can help
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:56 AM
  • hi, I use this software and drivers for HP Envy 100 Printer
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:57 PM
  • If it is a xp computer you need to click on Start -->Run  --> type it as "services.msc"

If it is vista computer click on to the windows logo --> in the search bar type it as "services.msc

Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".
    bl
    Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

http://printers.iyogi.com/errors/printer-spooler-error.html

Hope this information helps you.

• Proposed as answer by shiv kumar 33 Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:13 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:47 AM
  • you are a genius, I cannot believe that after almost 5 years since you wrote the answer ,that are still very helpful, you saved me , I started the Print Spooler exactly the way you wrote above, thank you very much, God bless you forever!! ~O(∩_∩)O~

BTW, for the second step, if you find that the "start" is grey, you need to right click the "Print Spooler " and change the "startup type" to "Manuel",then do exactly the second step written above, you will find that the "start" is available now, click it , and you will start your "print spooler"!!

Hope that will be useful for you!

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:30 PM
  • I would like to thank the author of this POST!

You were right on.  I tried all of the other solutions/suggestion to no avail. 

The bottom line is this error happens when your print spooler fills up to

max. capacity (if there is such a thing.)

Thanks much.  This didn't happen in XP Pro.

I would strongly recommend people try the above simple solution first. Worked for me in situation where spooler service would start but stop within a few seconds and all printers had vanished. Environment - WIN 7 / Dell XPS. Had tried almost all other solutions with no result.

Delete files under C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers  irrespective of size before trying anything else. Admin rights might be required for this.

Thanks to all!

Saturday, October 06, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Thank you so much for this perfect resolution
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:36 PM