none
Error C000009A applying update operation 119595 of 334565 (\Registry\...) when loading SP1

Question

• I get this error when loading SP1. I have tried the downloaded patch, and the one available via Windows Update. System Restore from the repair console is the only thing that appears to work (even though it said it failed). Having seen other people on this and the social forums have this issue, it makes me wonder if the final release of Win7 SP1 is bugged. And no, SP1 is not on my laptop after I run the restore. I'm not going to try to apply this on my desktop fearing the same issue.

I am the only user on these PC's. I have full admin rights. I run MS Security Essentials. This happens before the OS is loaded to GUI, and all programs are started.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• OK, a Dell tech replaced my drive today, as scheduled, and my laptop was reset to factory image (preloaded on the new drive). I uninstalled a few programs that I didn't want and/or *could* interfere with any upgrades. The Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate went swimmingly. No lockups, or need to hard power the system. Fantastic. :)

Next, I ran a few updates before the Service Pack would show up in Windows Update. Moment of truth time!

Ran the service pack, and it didn't show any of the text it did after the reboot that it did on the other drive, and went right to GUI and said the Service Pack is now installed.

NOTE: I uninstalled McAfee trial and *did not* install Security Essentials or any of the Language Packs in this test. To be honest, though, I felt like I was having issues with my HDD, anyway, performance-wise. This was not a bad thig.

SP1 is installed without errors, so I'm grateful that this issue is resolved for me. If you can, install SP1 over a clean install/reformat of your PC.

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:59 PM

All replies

• It's worse now because the Windows Firewall can't start, and it can't connect to wifi.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:39 PM
  • I have experienced a similar error.  My machine sounds similar 64 bit, 4 GB, MS Security Essentials. I tried some of the repair options and that isn't working.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:47 PM
  • I have experienced the same error on 3 different machines!! I get slightly different numbers (120260 of 33651 is the latest)

This is simply ludicrous.....or a big commercial for Apple!

I tried windows repair.....and it did not repair anything. I tried repairing using the installation DVD but it did not work.

I am in disbilief!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Please take a look at the following link for the current solution:

Fatal Error C000009A applying update operation [number] of [number]

Bottom Line:

1) Apply System Restore from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

At boot-up, Hit F8 --> Repair --> System Recovery Options Window --> System Restore (Offline Restore)

2) Remove all Additional Language Packs that were installed before the SP1 Attempt & perhaps Uninstall AntiVirus/Firewall Programs

Start Orb --> Control Panel --> Programs --> View Installed Updates...

3) Install SP1

Essentially, to get your machine back to a running state if System Restore fails (albeit, not "ideal" state, and most likely into SP1), you'll need to use the DISM command from WinRE (IF System Restore won't get your system back - also performed from WinRE, etc.):

DISM.Exe /Image:<windrive:\> /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions /ScratchDir:<dirname>

... It's most likely caused by an interaction between Language Pack cleanup operations and perhaps AntiVirus Software running at a low level in your system(s)...

Again, this issue can most likely be resolved by using System Restore, then Uninstalling all your Language Packs, then attempting the SP1 install once again ... The Language Packs from pre-SP1 must be removed anyway (by the SP1 Install), and applied again (from my understanding) ... Uninstalling the Language Packs is tedious, but the only alternative at the moment... Make sure your system is restoring properly. If System Restore succeeds, then you should be able to recover completely from the problem, by uninstalling all your Language Packs and/or uninstalling your AntiVirus Program(s), then trying SP1 once again...

We will most likely post subsequent solutions on this forum (as they transcend), since the forum in the link is now locked/closed.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Justa.User Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:09 PM
    • Edited by Justa.User Friday, February 25, 2011 2:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I'm sorry to say that DISM did not work for me. Interesting footnote about the language packs. That wouldn't apply to Home or Pro, but definitely Ultimate (which I have). I'll give that a go (if I can get Windows into a more workable state) and let y'all know.

Footnote: SFC did the trick. My PC is in a workable state. I'll try removing the language packs and MSE, and try again.

Question: How do I uninstall the language packs? I can't find the in Add/Remove programs.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Hi Zanshi:

Thanks for the reply.

If you attempted DISM, then it's likely that you have SP1 on your system (please do a check, WinVer Command from the Command Prompt).  I'm not sure you can overlay install SP1, but that might be your only recourse to getting completely running SP1 properly.  You may be able to manually fix the Language Pack Situation and get to that state.

If SP1 is NOT installed at this time, then you are one of the lucky ones and have what looks like, a 2nd Chance at completely recovering if you uninstall the Language Packs, etc., and try again.

The first choice is System Restore, then DISM (for others reading this).  In my case, I lost all Restore Points and could only try the DISM command ... I was placed into SP1 after the operation and have shored up my system to a working level ... I have not dealt with the Language Pack Situation nor have I attempted to Overlay Install SP1, yet.

... Good luck!

Re: No Language Packs in Add/Remove Programs ... Apparently, the DISM result is to mark the Language Pack as "Superceeded" and installed, but that might not be true in your case...

Is it possible for you to use System Restore and go back just before your SP1 Install Attempt? ... That's your best solution ... You should be able to uninstall the Language Packs and recover from there ... If not, you're in the same state as myself and I s'pose if you try to install each Language Pack, you may get them back, propery ([overlay] install).

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:14 PM
  • I used Winver, and it says Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7600). No mention of the Service Pack. I called Dell before trying /sfc scannow (it's under warranty), and they are sending a new hard drive with the factory image. As I have had major issues with the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium (it locked up my PC [or I wasn't patient enough :p]), I might as well get the replacement drive installed before trying again. It could be that my hard drive is not a good one, and only has problems while performing major upgrades. This way, I can test the validity of the SP1 install BEFORE installing Security Essentials and the Language Packs to see if those could possibly cause the aforementioned error. Gotta uninstall McAfee, though, it's bad mojo. >.<

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Hi Zanshi:

Thanks for the update.

Are you certain that you had installed additional Language Packs on your machine, via Windows Update? ... Normally, they are not installed and I don't think they are even in the Critical Update Section of Windows Update, so they wouldn't have been installed in a normal update situation...

... You may indeed have a hard disk issue (and SpinRite is good for [sleuthing out/fixing] those type of issues), but the C000009A Fatal Error during Windows Startup is very real and seen by many of us on Healthy Systems.

... That would be great if you can avoid installing any additional Language Packs and AntiVirus/Firewall type Software, and see if it works out.  I suspect it will.

... Also make sure that that Windows 7 SP1 Prerequisite Updates are installed ... Although updating from the Windows Update site will help make sure of this, if you separately download SP1, you should ensure that these updates are installed before you go ahead with SP1:

Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center

Windows 7 (KB976902) to enable future updates.

Good luck.
    • Edited by Justa.User Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:40 PM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Exact same error here, on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with all language packs installed. It seems that language packs are not supported by Service Packs. The same happened to me on Vista Ultimate x32 for Vista SP1. The worse is, when I tried the F8 Advanced Boot menu option for last known good configuration, it just restarted the same SP1 install reboot as before, with the same error C000009A. Then I tried the F8 System Restore option, but there was only one restore point available, which I selected, but it also returned an error saying it could not restore the previous state. So basically I had to reinstall Win7 RTM from scratch, it installed 3 updates automatically during setup, then there were 63 more to install, then a few more (with 3-4 reboots in total, after Win7 RTM was installed) before SP1 finally appeared in Windows Update. Installing now as we speak, touching wood...
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:59 AM
    • Edited by iantos Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:59 PM correct link
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I can't belive I was foolish enoughb to install the SP1. I am running a MACBOOK PRO with WIN 7 Ultimate installed, many language packs, etc. and now I can't get past that error! It took the machine about a day to get to the point where everything was installed and I have to do it allover again!

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Same error here.

Win 7 Ultimate x64 - 8GB of RAM. Installed SP1 last night. Booted into Windows this morning and get this error.

System restore fails on both the only two restore points listed.

Very aggravated as this is my primary office/business PC...

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:34 PM
  • I have W7 Enterprise running on 3 PCs (all 64bit all 8G RAM) and all 3 crashed!!!

I had installed all the language packs on all of them. I managed to rescue my home PC via DISM(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproSP/thread/7f2e7326-43e9-468d-af57-bc53ae0a63f0 spatialdude)

Unfortunately I did not manage on the office PCs. If anyone is curious, you can see the error I get here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7278458/IMAG0258.jpg

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:51 PM
  • I really wonder why SP1 is not able to detect there are several language packs installed and take the appropriate action before installing, or why these languages packs are so badly managed that they consume all the available RAM (SP1 installer took up to 2 GB of RAM before first reboot.)

I also wonder why the dism solution is not brought up automatically or proposed in the F8 advanced boot options or startup repair or something. It looks like there is no error monitoring during SP1 reboot, it just hangs with an unhelpful C000009A error code instead of saying what the error is about, like a lack of system resources, or rather, a bad usage of the available RAM.

And the official MS testers should definitely include a SP1 upgrade scenario with all language packs installed.

These are all very bad design issues that should be forwarded to Microsoft, it is not acceptable that on one hand Microsoft proposes language packs but on the other hand customers can't use them without running into these issues, or being forced to install or uninstall them 5 at a time because Windows cannot handle more, just like in Vista.

The attitude of certain members in this forum is not helpful either, like people answering the first persons to experience the problem that there won't be any support because SP1 was not officially released at the time. First, this is a users' self-help forum, secondly it looks like they haven't heard about beta-testing or self-hosting. If these issues were thoroughly investigated at the time, it would probably have been too late to change SP1 release, but not too late to either broadcast the problem so users would uninstall manually the language packs, or create a tool or mandatory update that would uninstall automatically all language packs one by one.

Come on Microsoft, make us proud of you instead of releasing such buggy software.
    • Edited by Chimel Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:24 PM editor killed formatting
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:20 PM
  • I have W7 Enterprise running on 3 PCs (all 64bit all 8G RAM) and all 3 crashed!!!

I had installed all the language packs on all of them. I managed to rescue my home PC via DISM(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproSP/thread/7f2e7326-43e9-468d-af57-bc53ae0a63f0 spatialdude)

Unfortunately I did not manage on the office PCs. If anyone is curious, you can see the error I get here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7278458/IMAG0258.jpg

Hi Fellowsh:

It almost seems that your Win7x64 may not be at C: ... Did you try typing D: and/or Dir to try and find it? ... Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!  If you can't list something on the drive, then there is a more serious or other issue.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:58 PM
  • @ Justa

Thanks for your kind reply and for taking the time to look at the error code I got.

I did try every letter in the alphabet indeed :) but with no luck

Unfortunately in the Office's machine it was the vendor who installed W7 so god knows what they did

@ Chimel

I could not agree more. As I posted earlier, this really seems like an ad for Apple!

I cannot see my mum being able in any way to play around with DISM and stuff.......just incredible!

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:41 AM
  • I wholeheartedly agree with Chimel.  This is now an official release through Windows Update, and I work for a large University's IT department.  We've already had several machines seize up because of this registry error after installing SP1.  There are several thousand people our IT department supports that will soon be prompted to install this as well, and I expect we'll have to put out some kind of emergency announcement to avoid the update until further notice!

Our University also uses a program that requires students in the dorms to complete "Important" Windows Updates before it will allow their computers on the network, and it is now requiring SP1 for Windows 7 - we should probably remove that requirement manually from our servers until we're sure it won't bring us hundreds of angry students, too!

To be more helpful with the issue at hand: 

One of the PCs I've worked on myself was freshly imaged with 64-bit Windows 7; it had 4gb of RAM and all language packs installed.  When SP1 installed, it did create a System Restore point, but the restore point failed when I tried to revert to it.  I've heard that multiple attempts at Startup Repair have sometimes worked (three for my supervisor's laptop), but I haven't verified that on the PCs I'm working with.  

While I was trying that, I let the "Startup Repair" wizard run on another affected computer, but wasn't really surprised when that didn't help since it's not really a startup issue.

After reading the MS technical reference for the DISM command (thanks to the most excellent summary of the linked thread above by Justa.User!) here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744382(WS.10).aspx, I ran the following command from WinRE:  DISM.Exe /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions  leaving off the ScratchDir switch because that just specifies a temp directory for use if you don't want it to use <root>:\Windows\Temp.  It took about 15-20 minutes to run, and then I restarted the PC, it booted, configured the Service Pack, and rebooted itself again.  Once it came back up I logged in and was greeted by a message saying "Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was succesfully installed!".  Everything seems to be running just fine now on this PC.

The computer I ran System Restore on (which failed) gave an error after the DISM command, saying it couldn't revert the pending actions from the image, and provided  C0000034 upon reboot.  I was able to get it working again by going back to the WinRE command line, changing directories to C:\Windows\WinSxS, and renaming an xml file with this command:  move pending.xml pending.old.  After renaming this file thusly, I again attempted System Restore, using the Service Pack 1 restore point.  It completed and allowed me to reboot.  Windows 7 loaded normally, with no Service Pack installed, and for now I'm leaving it that way.

Thank you all so very much for providing the information above!  Who ever said Linux was the only OS with an active, helpful community!  :-p

• Edited by Mög Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:52 AM New info about one of the PC's I mentioned.
    • Proposed as answer by Aliceinonederland Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:39 AM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:02 PM
  • All right guys, listen up! I have also encountered a problem, when i tried to install the Sp1 for Windows 64bit, and i have solved it!

My problem error was characterized as : Error C000009A ............ ( something ) 118565 of 334951 ..... ( Reg something ) in the Windows logo.

Windows update was stopping at that error and it wouldn't say to continue. My Pc was staying idle at that moment without doing anything!

The steps that i took in order to bypass this problem and install Sp1 correctly were the following :

1) I restarted my Pc and i pressed F8 on time, in order to enter the ----> "Repair" function of the Window 7.

2)While i was in there i was introduced with the option to ---> "Restore" my operating sytem from a previous Restore Point. I did that, and i've waited about 1,5 hours or so, in order to complete.

3) After the restoration process, my Pc rebooted "successfully" to Windows 7. The next thing that i've tried to do is to go to -----> Control Panel -----> Clock, Language and Region ------> Install Or Uninstall Display Languages -----> Uninstall Display Languages........and i uninstalled all the foreign languages ( except English ), including my own, which is Greek.

4) After that, i rebooted my Pc to Windows 7 once more. I run Windows update again, which showed me that the installation of Sp1 was a failure. So, i chose Sp1 once more, in order to install it again. But, the thing was, that Sp1 was already downloaded and i only had to install it once more time from the already downloaded copy in Windows! Hopefully, i did that, and it worked! Now i should restart my computer...........

5) After the restart of my Pc, I didn't have any notifications about the update procedure, which was taking in place in Windows Logo Screen. I was amazed! The Pc booted perfectly along with Sp1!

6) The last thing i did, was to reinstall once again my mother tongue display language ( Greek ) through the Windows 7 Optional Update Process.

7) After the above step, i restarted my Pc again and voila................. all things were running perfectly!

* I have concluded that the problem is, the excess language packs inlcuded in Windows 7. 

** If you are experiencing any trouble to locate your restore points ( either if they are damaged or inaccessible ) then try the DISM command, which is ----->  Dism /image:C\ /cleanup-image/revertpendingactions

*** If everything fails, then you should format your Pc. It's not natural having non - healthy restore points or even not having any! It is also a huge problem, when you cannot restart your Pc in a "repair status"! All the above options should be accessible if your machine is healthy, if not, you should format!

Thank You Very Much for listening me!

• Proposed as answer by gnucleargnat Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:42 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I wholeheartedly agree with Chimel.  This is now an official release through Windows Update, and I work for a large University's IT department.  We've already had several machines seize up because of this registry error after installing SP1.  There are several thousand people our IT department supports that will soon be prompted to install this as well, and I expect we'll have to put out some kind of emergency announcement to avoid the update until further notice!

Our University also uses a program that requires students in the dorms to complete "Important" Windows Updates before it will allow their computers on the network, and it is now requiring SP1 for Windows 7 - we should probably remove that requirement manually from our servers until we're sure it won't bring us hundreds of angry students, too!

You may already know about this Microsoft Link concerning blocking the Windows 7 SP1 Update, but I thought I would post it here, in case someone else needs it:

Windows Service Pack Blocker Toolkit

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:47 PM
  • @ Justa

Thanks for your kind reply and for taking the time to look at the error code I got.

Unfortunately in the Office's machine it was the vendor who installed W7 so god knows what they did

... If you type, "Dir C:" at the WinRE Prompt and nothing happens or it errors, then you most likely have a problem with your Win7 Hard Drive (and you searched the other Drive Letters in ascending order, and found nothing).  If something shows up, you may want to start to investigate if it appears the Operating System is indeed on the drive by listing the directory contents of the Windows System Folder (usually called, "WINDOWS").  Do a "CD C:\Windows" then a "Dir C:" command once again, to list that directory...

... Sorry if this seems obvious, but I am trying to "phase in" to where you are at and whether we can find out what may be wrong with accessing your Hard Disk with Windows 7 on it!

P.S.: The WinRE Prompt is that funny thing that begins with "X:" and ends with ">"

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Nice Example of recovering from the Problem ... Well Done! ... Nice way to to get to "Uninstalling Display Languages", directly! :)
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Just one (more) thought: Several users talk about reformatting the disk and reinstalling to solve the problem: Reinstalling is certainly the only solution if DISM or System Restore do not work, but reformating is not always required, I usually prefer re-installing over the existing system partition. This will move all the Windows, Program files and data, and user files such as Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music into a windows.old folder where they can be retrieved later at your leisure, once Windows has been reinstalled. The user files that were in custom folders, for instance if you manually created a \Data directory, will not move to windows.old, but they will not be overwritten by the setup process either. Another useful trick is to install every new operating system onto a new disk. Thus if I had to do urgent work on my desktop, I could still use the dual boot to launch Vista and continue my work there, postponing the reinstall of Windows and SP1 till later, all my programs still pointing to the same data files I used in Windows 7, since I don't use the default Documents, Music and several other user folders. This dual boot setup allows you to work if SP1 install or Windows fail, if a virus contaminated the operating system, or if the main system drive has a mechanical failure. Lastly, I forgot to say earlier that this C000009 error message is very poorly formated. It should be on 2 separate lines, so the faulty file name or registry key can be displayed, instead of showing only (\Registry\...)
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Just one (more) thought: Several users talk about reformatting the disk and reinstalling to solve the problem: Reinstalling is certainly the only solution if DISM or System Restore do not work, but reformating is not always required, I usually prefer re-installing over the existing system partition. This will move all the Windows, Program files and data, and user files such as Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music into a windows.old folder where they can be retrieved later at your leisure, once Windows has been reinstalled. The user files that were in custom folders, for instance if you manually created a \Data directory, will not move to windows.old, but they will not be overwritten by the setup process either. Another useful trick is to install every new operating system onto a new disk. Thus if I had to do urgent work on my desktop, I could still use the dual boot to launch Vista and continue my work there, postponing the reinstall of Windows and SP1 till later, all my programs still pointing to the same data files I used in Windows 7, since I don't use the default Documents, Music and several other user folders. This dual boot setup allows you to work if SP1 install or Windows fail, if a virus contaminated the operating system, or if the main system drive has a mechanical failure. Lastly, I forgot to say earlier that this C000009 error message is very poorly formated. It should be on 2 separate lines, so the faulty file name or registry key can be displayed, instead of showing only (\Registry\...)

Chimel, the only thing you are doing now is, to confuse your fellow comrades! You are are not presenting any solution to the problem and you are out of the topic. If i knew better i would say that you are spamming! I'm only saying that, because you are presenting vague and sci- fi ideas!
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:58 PM
  • OK, a Dell tech replaced my drive today, as scheduled, and my laptop was reset to factory image (preloaded on the new drive). I uninstalled a few programs that I didn't want and/or *could* interfere with any upgrades. The Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate went swimmingly. No lockups, or need to hard power the system. Fantastic. :)

Next, I ran a few updates before the Service Pack would show up in Windows Update. Moment of truth time!

Ran the service pack, and it didn't show any of the text it did after the reboot that it did on the other drive, and went right to GUI and said the Service Pack is now installed.

NOTE: I uninstalled McAfee trial and *did not* install Security Essentials or any of the Language Packs in this test. To be honest, though, I felt like I was having issues with my HDD, anyway, performance-wise. This was not a bad thig.

SP1 is installed without errors, so I'm grateful that this issue is resolved for me. If you can, install SP1 over a clean install/reformat of your PC.

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Chimel, the only thing you are doing now is, to confuse your fellow comrades! You are are not presenting any solution to the problem and you are out of the topic. If i knew better i would say that you are spamming! I'm only saying that, because you are presenting vague and sci- fi ideas!
    If you'd read the thread, you'd seen the problem has been solved in different ways several posts ago, so anything else is to add to the discussion, not to solve the problem anymore. Sorry if my post looked confusing, I merely wanted to stress that reinstalling from scratch is not necessarily catastrophic even if you don't have backups: You can retrieve all your files if you reinstall WITHOUT reformating the disk. Spam and sci-fi? I have been using dual boots since XP, looks more like old history to me. Most of the confusion comes from this editor, all the linebreaks I set are removed from my posts, so it's all a big junk of unreadable text. Used to work fine before I reinstalled Win7+SP1... ^-^
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Justa, thanks again for your kind reply. I am now at the office trying to sort this issue as IT refuses to....anyway, the OS should be in E and not in C but I get a different error code, namely that the cleanup-image option is unknown.....I upload the new jpg taken with my android in dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7278458/IMAG0259.jpg
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    thx
    r

@ Justa

... If you type, "Dir C:" at the WinRE Prompt and nothing happens or it errors, then you most likely have a problem with your Win7 Hard Drive (and you searched the other Drive Letters in ascending order, and found nothing).  If something shows up, you may want to start to investigate if it appears the Operating System is indeed on the drive by listing the directory contents of the Windows System Folder (usually called, "WINDOWS").  Do a "CD C:\Windows" then a "Dir C:" command once again, to list that directory...

... Sorry if this seems obvious, but I am trying to "phase in" to where you are at and whether we can find out what may be wrong with accessing your Hard Disk with Windows 7 on it!

P.S.: The WinRE Prompt is that funny thing that begins with "X:" and ends with ">"

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Justa, thanks again for your kind reply. I am now at the office trying to sort this issue as IT refuses to....anyway, the OS should be in E and not in C but I get a different error code, namely that the cleanup-image option is unknown.....I upload the new jpg taken with my android in dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7278458/IMAG0259.jpg
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    thx
    r
    ... I found this link which you should view. Essentially, this is the response one gets from the DISM command when one has chosen the wrong Drive Letter for the Operating System.  You still need to determine which Drive has your Windows 7 Operating System ... Try the DiskPart Command to view all possible Drive Letters for the Operating System ... My guess is that it might be D: since you already tried C: before and E:, now.  Remember that Drive Lettering can be different when in WinRE than it might have been when you were running at normal boot-up, before.
    • Edited by Justa.User Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:05 PM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Justa, thank you so much for all your kind help

While trying to sort the issue I was having with DISM I did encounter that link you kindly posted

Eventually I managed to sort everything out thanks to this post  by MlaHaak. It worked like a charm. Fortunately my poqexec.log only contained about 20 lines and only one finished with AQ=== (in both office PSc although the error was different)

So I managed to find the corresponding item in pending.xml, amended it to make that line a comment and managed to reboot.

I have to say that now the boot process seems to take longer than before but I cannot say for certain. Maybe it was all the resets I hit while trying to find solutions.

Thank you all for the support and to Justa.User in particular. You have been of great great help

R

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Wow, that was a nice find for a link.  Hopefully, here is a more direct link to that Post:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Error C000009

I was about to do such a thing in my Pending.XML file when I was introduced to the DISM Command.  It's great to see that at least 2 of you got it to work!

FYI: I was reading that post and the reason they weren't able to add the registry key to check it, was most likely due to not loading the registry hive for their Windows 7 OS ... In WinRE, one is running another OS ( a compact or "live" OS, hence the X: Prompt) and you have to load the registry from your actual Win 7 drive ... The RegEdit Command is pointing at the Live OS, hence the need to load the hive... When I manually fixed my registry error up (which worked, no prob), nothing changed (I still received the Fatal Error, C000009A).

... Yes, after my boot into SP1, I noticed the boot process takes longer ... It might be a consequence of SP1? ... I don't really know since I only have 1 Win7 machine in my possession, running ... If not, by checking the Event Viewer Logs, we might find out if there are any problems occurring during the Boot-Up Phase.  I haven't done that yet, myself.  You can Internet Search for "Event Viewer" for more info, if you are unfamiliar.

• Edited by Justa.User Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:55 PM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Thanks Justa, I will definitely do that

For sure, the remote feature is not working although it's enabled.

I use my office pc a lot with window's remote desktop connection. Now, neither of the 2 pcs seems to accept it even though the setting is correct. I am using logmein and that works fine.

So it's definitely not a "perfect" fix but at least I could boot up. I have just uninstalled the language packs and I am a little hesitant to reboot now :)

Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:34 PM
  • ... Haven't tried Remote Desktop yet, sorry.  I will try it out at some point and see....

Please shore up your Restore Point Situation ... I off-lined my Win7 Drive when running my WinXP Partition (Dual-Boot Setup), increased Storage Allocation for Restore Points and constantly check that my restore points are indeed there, all the time.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:56 PM
  • FWIW,  exactly the same problem here and this worked for me.  Interesting, after the DISM command and during the reboot, it said "Configuring Windows 35%", etc and then when it finally booted it said Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is installed.   So I am not sure if it is actually installed or not!  Also, I do not have a language pack installed.

<rant>I have had a sleepless night stressing over whether my main development machine would actually be usable in the morning.   Did anyone actually test this Service Pack? The same thing has happened to a friend of mine.  This is not good enough. </rant>

Dave A
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Dave, open a Command Prompt  ... Type in, "WinVer" ... If it has SP1 installed, it should say it ... Whether it's all really there might take some time to figure out, but I think it is ... Look at the C:\Windows\WinSxS\POQExec.Log file for a "Critical Operations Completed" (something like that) for some piece of mind, that is...

FYI:

Here are all the known Threads concerning the, "Fatal Error C000009A Applying"... Issue thusfar (including this one):

Error C000009A applying update operation 119595 of 334565 (\Registry\...) when loading SP1

Fatal Error C000009A applying update operation [number] of [number]

C000009A error on Win 7 SP1 install

Windows 7 64-bit SP1 failure to install

Error C000009A applying update operation 118743 of 336226 (\Registry\...)

History - Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Error C000009

• Edited by Justa.User Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:40 PM Typos
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:39 PM
  • I have the same error, Error C000009A applying update operation 118688 of 335551 (\REGISTRY\...), and I HAVE NO LANGUAGE PACKS INSTALLED AT ALL!!!!

Both my computers fail and neither have ever had a language pack. In fact, one is Home Premium and can't even install them. So this error is not only for people with Ultimate language packs installed.

I opened a support case with Microsoft and so far after 4 days they can't fix it for me. Luckily for me I am smart enough to take a system image of my computer before doing this so my computers are still working fine since I was able restore the image once SP1 killed my system(s). 

Microsoft, I was sooo impressed with Windows 7. I am stunned that this is occurring to so many people. I do IT support for 30+ small businesses and I can't have anyone install SP1, at this point ever. A new release needs to be done or a patch or something. This is utterly ridiculous. 

Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Two OS service packs 1 screwups in a row.  Vista SP1 had a RAM drain active that Beta testers informed MS of ahead of the release, released anyhow.  There is no doubt in my mind that MS was aware of the issue prior to release, but the deadline was more important than customer satisfaction.  MS needs new management. 
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:23 AM
  • I had to do a UPDATE install from Windows 7 64bit enterprise so that it will keep programs, files and settings. then install Service pack 1 fist before other updates.

Then install any other updates is fine

• Proposed as answer by yjkhan Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Okay, Microsoft support just got back to me and is advising that I perform an upgrade/repair of Windows by putting in the Win 7 DVD and running setup, select upgrade. I'm going to give this a shot this weekend, but if anyone wants to try and this report back before then please do! 

Here are the instructions they sent me:

Please perform the below mentioned steps in the action plan to perform Repair Installation:

Action Plan:- To Perform Repair Installation (In-place Upgrade)

Please follow these steps to perform Inplace upgrade, and do contact us if you have any questions.

1.  Start Windows 7, and log on to an administrator account.

2.  Disable any 3rd party firewall, Antivirus, or other security program to avoid it from possibly preventing the Inplace upgrade installation to Windows 7.

3.  Place your Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD drive and click on the Run setup.exe option in the AutoPlay window.

NOTE: If the AutoPlay window does not open, then open the drive folder in Computer and run the setup.exe file.

4. Click on the Install Now button to start the installation. 

5. Uncheck I want to help make Windows installation better box.

6. Check I accept the license terms box and click on Next

7. For a In-place Upgrade Install

A) Click on the Upgrade option. 

8. The installation of Windows 7 will now begin.

NOTE: During the installation process, your screen may flash and computer will restart a few times.

9. After the final restart, you will see this screen for a moment. 

10. Type in your Windows 7 product key number.

11. Check the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box , then click on the Next button.

If you chose to automatically activate Windows online when you set up your computer, automatic activation begins trying to activate your copy of Windows three days after you log on for the first time.

12. Click on Use recommended settings to allow automatic Windows Updates and proper security settings.

NOTE: For more information about these recommended settings, click on the Learn more about each option link in this window.

13. Select your time zone and set your time and date settings, then click on the Next button.

14. Click on your computer's correct network location type location to select it and have the settings for that location automatically applied.

15. Windows 7 will now prepare your desktop to startup.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:17 PM
  • I had to do a UPDATE install from Windows 7 64bit enterprise so that it will keep programs, files and settings. then install Service pack 1 fist before other updates.

Hey Stroke1988, this looks like you performed the in place upgrade. Was the procedure you followed similar to what I just posted above?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:18 PM
  • All right guys, listen up! I have also encountered a problem, when i tried to install the Sp1 for Windows 64bit, and i have solved it!

My problem error was characterized as : Error C000009A ............ ( something ) 118565 of 334951 ..... ( Reg something ) in the Windows logo.

Windows update was stopping at that error and it wouldn't say to continue. My Pc was staying idle at that moment without doing anything!

The steps that i took in order to bypass this problem and install Sp1 correctly were the following :

1) I restarted my Pc and i pressed F8 on time, in order to enter the ----> "Repair" function of the Window 7.

2)While i was in there i was introduced with the option to ---> "Restore" my operating sytem from a previous Restore Point. I did that, and i've waited about 1,5 hours or so, in order to complete.

3) After the restoration process, my Pc rebooted "successfully" to Windows 7. The next thing that i've tried to do is to go to -----> Control Panel -----> Clock, Language and Region ------> Install Or Uninstall Display Languages -----> Uninstall Display Languages........and i uninstalled all the foreign languages ( except English ), including my own, which is Greek.

4) After that, i rebooted my Pc to Windows 7 once more. I run Windows update again, which showed me that the installation of Sp1 was a failure. So, i chose Sp1 once more, in order to install it again. But, the thing was, that Sp1 was already downloaded and i only had to install it once more time from the already downloaded copy in Windows! Hopefully, i did that, and it worked! Now i should restart my computer...........

5) After the restart of my Pc, I didn't have any notifications about the update procedure, which was taking in place in Windows Logo Screen. I was amazed! The Pc booted perfectly along with Sp1!

6) The last thing i did, was to reinstall once again my mother tongue display language ( Greek ) through the Windows 7 Optional Update Process.

7) After the above step, i restarted my Pc again and voila................. all things were running perfectly!

* I have concluded that the problem is, the excess language packs inlcuded in Windows 7. 

** If you are experiencing any trouble to locate your restore points ( either if they are damaged or inaccessible ) then try the DISM command, which is ----->  Dism /image:C\ /cleanup-image/revertpendingactions

*** If everything fails, then you should format your Pc. It's not natural having non - healthy restore points or even not having any! It is also a huge problem, when you cannot restart your Pc in a "repair status"! All the above options should be accessible if your machine is healthy, if not, you should format!

Thank You Very Much for listening me!

This worked!  Thank you so much for posting this!  It saved the day :D
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:43 PM
  • @ Justa

You are most helpful, and we are fortunate to have you around these forums!  I looked at the Blocker Toolkit link you provided above, and while it seems interesting, it is unfortunately untennable as a solution in our very large Enterprise environment.  We have too many stations across different OUs and VLANs to successfully implement this toolkit and block SP1 effectively.  :-(

That being said, I continue to have marked success with the DISM command, and only saw the C0000034 error on the single PC I tried System Restore on before DISM <I edited my original post with this info>.  Thus far, I am able to rectify SP1 crashes within 45 minutes of arrival on-site, all thanks to this wonderful forum and your excellent synthesis of information from several threads.

My next step is to have one of our system admins contact MS tech support directly and log a trouble ticket to try and reach a more feasible solution for our situation.

Many thanks,

Mög

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:42 AM
  • For those who claim that DISM doesn't work, be sure to actually see what drive letter is mapped where Windows was installed.  From the recovery Command Prompt, typically c: is mapped to the SYSTEM RESERVED partition (small 100Mb) and d: is the actual Windows partition.

Thus, your DISM command would be something as follows:

> dism /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions /scratchdir:e:\

In this example, e: is a separate partition with adequate space for the operation.

Joe Leong
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:36 PM
  • I googled the issue and tried all posted solutions none of which worked, including the registry hack (the key listed did not appear in my registry).

I eventually found one which involved booting to the recovery console and copying the backup copy of the registry over the current one. This fixed it for me. Just meant reinstalling a few recent apps.

The location I think is C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack

Crude but quick and effective.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Hey Justa.User, firstly, thank you so much to yourself and all the others here that have delved so deep into this Error C000009a, I thought my system was gone after initially attempting to install Windows 7 SP1.

The following worked a treat for me,  my install was on D: so as it states in previous threads, if C: doesnt work, try locating your install DIR accordingly, ( DISM.Exe /Image:<windrive:\> /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions), I too left the switch for scratchdir off, my machine advised it may need, it though ultimately did not.

the DISM command took about 5 seconds to run, I restarted to the Service Pack UNinstall screen. This took about 10 minutes. Restarted again to my normal setup.

I ran LPKSETUP, ticked all the language packs to UNinstall. This took about 35 mins for all of the language packs to unistall. Restarted again.

I disabled the Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled the Microsoft Firewall.

I then went to my automatic updates, selected the Service Pack 1, and it installed in about 30 mins, went to another system screen, applied the update. Auto Restarted to my normal environment with the new SP1.

my system is:

Windows 7 Enterprise 7600

Mozilla Firefox 4 Beta

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t BE

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H rev2 MB

RipJaws F3-12800CL9D-*GBRL 2x4GB

Fractal Design R3 Titanium Case

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

I am so happy! thank you all you propeller heads, geeks, techies alike!!

DISM.Exe /Image:<windrive:\> /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Window7 ultimate got this same error C000009A applying update Windows7 SP1.

After waiting overnight for it to finish , followed by a couple of reboots, I took the option to recover from an earlier restore point.

Fortunately Windows7 survived the recovery from SP1 and the desktop is back, i haven't had a chance yet to make additional restore points or reboot but i will do that after work hours.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Just wanted to let people know that it is possible to actually get a clean install of Win7 SP1.  I just did it today (March 24th) via WSUS on a Dell Precision workstartion running Win7 x64.  Maybe I just got lucky or maybe Microsoft has fixed the issue.  Seeing that the last post was dated March 17th, perhaps they have fixed the issue here a week later.  I am hoping it is fixed because I want to roll it out to my entire office via WSUS and having 30 systems crash after the update would be disastrous.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:47 PM
  • maybe Microsoft has fixed the issue

There hasn't been a new SP1 release, or SP1-related hotfixes since, so the status is the same, you'd better run the Windows system readiness tool before to make sure, and check that your users don't have any language pack installed, or rather too many of them. Since it's an enterprise or organization environment, I doubt users have customized their computers with video drivers clean-up tools or installed tens of language packs, so you're most likely safe even without these checks.

Even if it fails on one specific machine, System Restore or DISM would reset it to its previous status, the probability that anything happens is extremely low, there hasn't been a large public outcry about SP1, only these few threads. Most of it (but not all) has now been identified to either too many language packs (an issue that exists since Vista and not just related to Service Packs) or to using driver cleanup tools created by developers who apparently have no idea what they are doing and deleted Windows core files, not just third-party driver files.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:22 PM
  • @ Justa.User, @ KeyserSozegr  and @ Mog and others on this page......

Thank you SOOOO Much, between all of y'all, (each person's information and contribution) I was able to figure out how to fix my grandmother's computer!!!  She thinks I'm her hero, but the credit should go to all of you.  THANK YOU!!!!!

I had same issues, with the hang at the C000009A Error. Used Justa's and Mog's escape plan to reset, using the DISM (without the scratchdir (probably should of, but had enough room (lucky)). I did not try the restore points (only two listed and other people in the forum had issues- I didn't want to press my luck) and previous points had been erased :( . Rebooted twice (both - no problems) Then used Keyser's step 3 - 7.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Version 6.1 Build 7600), Intel core 2 duo cpu t6400 @ 2.00ghz, 4.0 GB RAM, Dell Laptop, Symantec Endpoint Protection

Now: (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) Yay!!! :)

2011 April 3

Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:33 AM

This is the exact thing I had to finally resort to as well. None of the other solutions in here or in any other thread helped except this one. I removed the Language Packs, uninstalled the antiviral, etc. Only after doing the In-Place Upgrade Install did the SP1 take properly.

Make sure you have a full boot disk backup image before attempting the SP1 installation.

Yousuf Khan
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:35 PM