none
HowTo uninstall Snipping Tool in Windows7

Question

• Hi,

up front:

this is my first post here. That is why i welcome any (off topic) hints towards the HowTos of this plattform. Please forgive my spelling mistakes :).

the Problem:

i cant figure out how to uninstall the "snipping tool" from the "Windows 7 Professional 64bit" clients i would like to distribute to my users.

What i tried:

1. Looking for it in the installed programms and functions. couldnt find it there.

2. I uninstalled the "Tablet PC Components" from the windows functions. This was suggested in some other forum for Vista PCs. But it didint uninstall the snipping Tool.

Why i need this:

I am administrating a domain for a company. the security of our data is a very big issuey, since we handle a lot of personal data. For the old Windows XP Clients we used a selfwritten screenshot tool, that prevents users from taking screesnhots. I can block the Programm from beeing opend in varios ways, but i would realy feel better,w hen i could just uninstall it.

Thanks upfront for any feedback!

Envirement: a single Domain

Clients: Windows 7 Professional | 64bit | SP1  on Dell Optiplex 780/790

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

You can disable the snipping tool feature via group policy.

1.Click Start, type gpedit.msc, press Enter to open Local Group Policy Editor.

2.Navigate to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Tablet PC->Accessories->double click Do not allow Snipping Tool to run .

3.Select enabled, click OK.

If you enable this policy setting, the Snipping Tool will not run.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:38 AM

All replies

• Not sure if this would do it, but you could just change the %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe to %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.old as it should disable it.  Hope that helps!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Hi ,

You can disable the snipping tool feature via group policy.

1.Click Start, type gpedit.msc, press Enter to open Local Group Policy Editor.

2.Navigate to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Tablet PC->Accessories->double click Do not allow Snipping Tool to run .

3.Select enabled, click OK.

If you enable this policy setting, the Snipping Tool will not run.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:38 AM
  • Thanks alot. this solved it. :)

--------------- Johannes Ole Schulenburg your friendly neighberhood admin

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:46 AM