none
Windows Mobile Device Center on Windows 7?

Question

• I have just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RTM (via my MSDN subscription), from Vista Ultimate 64. Before upgrading, it advised me to uninstall Windows Mobile Device Center, which I did. After upgrading, and despite the suggestion at this thread, plugging in my phone did not either bring up or automatically install WMDC. So I installed version 6.1 manually.

However, with WMDC installed... it doesn't actually do anything. Plugging in my phone does not trigger a sync. Opening WMDC shows my phone name (that it has evidently remembered from before the upgrade) with the legend "Not Connected". The settings page is set up to allow USB connections, and it is connected (and charging) via USB.

The propaganda suggests that Windows 7 is just like Vista but better, with better compatibility. Not so far! Can anyone suggest how I can get my phone synchronising with Windows 7? It's an HTC Touch HD running Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional. Any help greatly appreciated!
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:39 PM

Answers

• Try removing WMDC, then open Device Manager and find the network device.
    Remove it from there, and make sure it uninstalls the driver.
    Then reboot.

After rebooting, connect the phone - now it should detect it, and download WMDC to get the driver.
    Thats what it did for me back in the RC build, so maybe it fixes it for you too.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Aha - interesting... so obviously while trying to solve this problem, I've been plugging/unplugging my phone repeatedly. And as it turns out, when I came to follow the first bit of advice - delete the network adapter - the phone was unplugged. So the phone didn't show up. :-)

Trying it again, this time with the phone plugged in, and deleting it, seems to have resolved the issue... the resultant sync is VERY slow but that might be something else, this problem appears to be solved. Many, many thanks!

Well...I've got the same problem, I removed WMDC via control panel, removed the device (showed up under remote devices) but still have the WMDC control panel app, when I run it, it shows the device connected, but then nothing more.  If I close the control panel app, then try to reopen it, it won't open again until a reboot.

Is there a reinstall option possible?    Meaning, is there a download for WMDC for Win 7 (professional x64) that can be run as a standalone install?

Or, can I do a re-install of win 7 (repair really) and get it to go from there?

--------------added in edit-------
    And there you go, one MUST read the original posting first.    I removed the NETWORK device also, rebooted, plugged the mobile device back in....and this time, it DID  reinstall WMDC.    It's showing an error, but at least I've not got the software reinstalled.

It's an HTC device (xv6900) and I've seen other messages about issues with them an win7, so I'll track that down, but just wanted to let all know....if you actually RTFM and follow the instructions here...things work MUCH better.

You removed the device from Device Manager?

From what I know, there is no section in there called Remote Devices - so are you sure you removed it from there? :-)
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:48 AM

All replies

• Try removing WMDC, then open Device Manager and find the network device.
    Remove it from there, and make sure it uninstalls the driver.
    Then reboot.

After rebooting, connect the phone - now it should detect it, and download WMDC to get the driver.
    Thats what it did for me back in the RC build, so maybe it fixes it for you too.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:50 PM
  • I have the same problem with Windows 7 RC... (HTC HD) Any help ?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Yes, do as I suggested - remove the device from device manager and select to uninstall the driver, uninstall wmdc, reboot, plugin the phone, let it install, reboot again and start wmdc.

It's a bit complicated, but the trick is to remove every trace of both the driver and wmdc, and then get it installed in the right order (which Windows sometimes messes up).
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Easier said than done!

Windows Mobile Device Center has been removed via Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program. However, it still exists as a shortcut from the Start Menu and I can still run it! (To no effect of course).

Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update still exists in the Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program list, and remains there no matter how often I uninstall it.

The network device does not appear to exist at all in Device Manager (unless I'm missing something?), so I can't delete it from there.

And, plugging in the phone still does nothing!

So, no help I'm afraid, though thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps it could work... if only uninstalling something actually uninstalled it! Any further thoughts?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Okay, did you remove it from Device Manager and uninstalled the driver?
    If you did, it puzzles me why it doesn't reinstall the device correctly next time you connect it to your pc.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:53 PM
  • As I say, there appears to be no network device representing my phone at all in Device Manager. Unless I am missing something? Can you be more specific about where in Device Manager you would expect it to be? Thanks!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Could you try and upload a screenshot of device manager with USB Devices and Network Adapters expanded (not sure of the english names for those nodes, I'm currently sitting at a Danish installation).

There should be some device representing it in there.

If not, try and unplug it, open device manager, and then plug it in.
    If the tree refreshes, it exist somewhere in the tree :-)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:34 AM
  • OK, I will do that when I get home - though I can say it's definitely not in Network Adapters, there was only the network port on my motherboard in there. I looked in USB devices, but perhaps I missed it so will check again and post a screenshot. Thanks again.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Aha - interesting... so obviously while trying to solve this problem, I've been plugging/unplugging my phone repeatedly. And as it turns out, when I came to follow the first bit of advice - delete the network adapter - the phone was unplugged. So the phone didn't show up. :-)

Trying it again, this time with the phone plugged in, and deleting it, seems to have resolved the issue... the resultant sync is VERY slow but that might be something else, this problem appears to be solved. Many, many thanks!
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:09 AM

Well...I've got the same problem, I removed WMDC via control panel, removed the device (showed up under remote devices) but still have the WMDC control panel app, when I run it, it shows the device connected, but then nothing more.  If I close the control panel app, then try to reopen it, it won't open again until a reboot.

Is there a reinstall option possible?    Meaning, is there a download for WMDC for Win 7 (professional x64) that can be run as a standalone install?

And there you go, one MUST read the original posting first.    I removed the NETWORK device also, rebooted, plugged the mobile device back in....and this time, it DID  reinstall WMDC.    It's showing an error, but at least I've not got the software reinstalled.

It's an HTC device (xv6900) and I've seen other messages about issues with them an win7, so I'll track that down, but just wanted to let all know....if you actually RTFM and follow the instructions here...things work MUCH better.

Friday, August 28, 2009 3:26 PM

You removed the device from Device Manager?

From what I know, there is no section in there called Remote Devices - so are you sure you removed it from there? :-)
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for this - I found it under "Portable Devices"
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:29 PM
  • It didn't work for me. I needed to hard reset the phone and after that worked.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:03 PM
  • I had the same problem and tried all what have been said and did not work for me...

One really worked with me... Although I included the connection from ESET 4.2 Smart Security firewall settings, it did not work untill I disabled the firewall alltogether...

And now it works fine..

Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Easier said than done!

Windows Mobile Device Center has been removed via Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program. However, it still exists as a shortcut from the Start Menu and I can still run it! (To no effect of course).

Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update still exists in the Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program list, and remains there no matter how often I uninstall it.

You are lucky! I have no entry in Control Panel, so I can't remove it - unless someone knows better?

-- Nigel M

• Edited by Nigel M Friday, April 27, 2012 6:13 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 6:12 PM
  • I have been trying to do this also, with no success.  First I was confused by what you mean by "the network device."  When I open the Device Manager (and then plug the HTC phone in!!!), I see the attached.  When I select any one of these 6 lines, click "properties," and go the the driver tab, however, Disabling or uninstalling is NOT possible.  Everything EXCEPT for the "Driver Details" buttons is greyed out.  See second attached pic.  Every one of the 6 lines allows ONLY "Driver Details" as shown in the second picture below, not just the first Android Phone device shown below.

Android Phone Properties pic 1Android Device properties greyed out - pic 2

• Edited by whatever222 Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:43 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:42 AM