none
Login credentials are incorrect

Question

• When I open the VM from Virtual machines explorer I am prompted with a "windows security" window that is asking for the login password of the PC tthat contains the VM. I enter the correct password and the response is "the login credentials are incorrect". When I click "cancel", the virtual machine starts up, I login to the VM and continue on my way.

What is this initial login for and why is it not accepting a valid login?

I suspect it has to do with enabling integration features. I installed the integration components after loading the OS in the VM. When I clicked Tools, enable integration features, I was prompted with this window titled "windows security" and my login was not accepted.

I did download and install windows virtual PC under my user account ( not admin ). I was guessing that was the problem somehow, so I restarted "windows virtual PC" with the "run as administrator" option.  But I still have this "login credentials are incorrect" error.

thanks,

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:30 PM

Answers

• That login is not a log in for the host, it's for the VM.  The integration features require it as you suspect, so you should key in your XP Mode user id and password, then the integration features will be enabled...  (by default the password cannot be blank, the integration features use RDP to communicate and by default policy, you must have a password.)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by Steve Richter Sunday, May 02, 2010 11:52 PM
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:53 PM

All replies

• That login is not a log in for the host, it's for the VM.  The integration features require it as you suspect, so you should key in your XP Mode user id and password, then the integration features will be enabled...  (by default the password cannot be blank, the integration features use RDP to communicate and by default policy, you must have a password.)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by Steve Richter Sunday, May 02, 2010 11:52 PM
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Where do I find my XP Mode username and password? I don't remember creating this. In fact, Virtual PC tells me the username/password is the same as my Windows 7 login credentials, and I can log in to Virtual PC [edit: it doesn't care what I type in], but it doesn't work on the XP client. Nothing I try works, including putting my domain and backslash before my username.

dhinged

• Edited by dhinged Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:53 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:52 PM
  • There is no login info needed for Virtual PC, its just an application, like Word or Excel.

You need to enter a password for XP Mode during your initial setup. This is the screen: http://smudj.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/caught-the-elusive-xp-mode-password-window/.  You can't complete the XP Mode installation without a password.

XP mode is a completely distinct Windows installation from Windows 7, they won't have the same password unless you set both the passwords the same.

You can fix your incorrect login info following this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2011/07/25/how-to-fix-incorrect-logon-information-for-windows-xp-mode.aspx

Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:19 PM