none
Excel 2003/2007/2010 randomly hangs / not responding on Windows 7 for upto 15 minutes!

Question

• I have several clients with SBS 2008 network environments, running Windows 7 on the desktop, and various versions of Office 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010

è Every workstation has issues where excel stalls while opening/closing/saving an excel file…

è They get the famous “Not responding” with the hourglass (Win7 circle-timer) -- can last upto 15 minutes of complete grey screen.

è It can sometimes even affect Windows Explorer.

è It can sometimes happen with Word, whether the file is opened locally or from a share.

Please tell me you have seen this before, as it is very hard to recreate the issue, it seems to be random.

At first I suspected NOD32 antivirus, but even machines without it have the same issues.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Office related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows 7 specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Office forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Please ask if there is any update for Office. Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, on the operation system side, it is suggested to obtain the latest windows update.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 08, 2010 9:39 AM

All replies

• I already had this issue in the following scenario:
    There was a template on network (let say \\network1\share\template) and documents/spreadsheets were created based on this template.
    Later the server was removed, but Excel/Word always tried to locate the original template.
    If this is the case, go to registry -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\(version)\Excel\Options and create a new DWORD parameter called UseTimeoutForAttachedTemplateLoad  and as value put a number of seconds to wait.

There might be also some damaged/incompatible add-on - on Excel 2010 go to File -> Options -> Addons and check/try to disable addons or run excel with /s parameter.

Fot general issues with Excel this article might be useful, too: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280504

• Proposed as answer by MStoppl Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:06 PM
  • it's not from a template.

50 of the 100 computers affected are brand new.

and it happens only on Win7 computers.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Windows 7 IS compatible with Office... Would you check:

1) group policy, event logs
    2) the remaining ideas, that I have mentioned?

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:55 PM
  • i tried adding a reg key for the timeout, but its still happening.

there is nothing noted in the event logs

there are 0 add-ons (excel 2000)

they are not using a template

there is no reference to an old server, these are new stations in a new domain (1 year old now, and problem with excel from the start)

is there any other reg keys i could add for network share timeout?
    some users are using mapped drives, others are using UNC with same results....

Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Office related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows 7 specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Office forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Please ask if there is any update for Office. Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, on the operation system side, it is suggested to obtain the latest windows update.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 08, 2010 9:39 AM
  • well its a win7 issue, but since you want me to go restart my post in the office group i will give it a try.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:05 AM