none
Media Center does not support dual tuners

General discussion

• When using a dual tuner under MCE it picks up both tuners.

however when recording one channel and attempting to change to another it says there is a conflict and shows that both tuners are recording. 
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:47 PM

All replies

• I have this problem with a Terratec 2400i DT card - have tried both their version 283 and their beta version 284 drivers..... no difference. Is this an issue for all dual tuners?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:19 PM
  • hmm. guess i'm glad i'm eating PCI slots with individual tuners... i dont have this issue
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:49 AM
  • My HTPC has a Pinnacle 7010ix with 2 DVB-S and 2 DVB-T tuners, I only use the two DVB-S tuners. 

I can record one channel and watch another or record two channels no problem. 

So its not a general problem with 7 Beta.

Brendon
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:10 AM
  • I have also Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT and recording two different channels simultaneously won't succeed.

If this is a problem with Cinergy 2400i DT, do you have any suggestions for working DVB-T cards?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I'm seeing this issue too using a DVB-T card with two onboard tuners.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:11 PM
    Answerer
  • I get a similar issue here, only one tuner(of the 2) is visable/usable. The error I get is: " All TV tuners are currently in use. To change the channel..." then gives an option to stop a recording- listing one program only. My error doesn't say both tuners are recording, only that all are in use- seeing one tuner only.
    Card is Hauppage WinTV Nova t-500(on pci). I have only the drivers installed, not the WinTV app.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:20 AM
  • I can confirm that the Pinnacle 7010ix card works fine with both of the dvb-s and dvb-t tuners in use at the same time.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I was successfully using the HDHomerun product in Vista x64, but when I upgraded to Windows 7 I get a no signal error in media center. I wenth through setup and media center recognized the ATSC antenna on tuner 0, and stated I have a ATSC antenna on tuner 1 connected to cable instead of QAM. The signal strengths is for the channels mediacenter does see, are indicated as full strength, but when I select live TV I get the no signal error. I tried selecting both tuners, or each tuner individually.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:01 AM
  • anttijj said:

I have also Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT and recording two different channels simultaneously won't succeed.

If this is a problem with Cinergy 2400i DT, do you have any suggestions for working DVB-T cards?

I also have this card, and the same error. When I launch the TV setup, Media Center says that only one tuner has a signal. But the 2400i has only 1 antenna plug, so the two tuners have exactly the same reception. I tried many drivers but it never worked. I forced Media Center to use the two tuners, but I have now the problem when I record a channel and want to switch to another : Media Center says it cannot change the channel because lal tuners are in use, and show tuner 1 and tuner 2 recording the same channel.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:09 PM
  • holidayboy said:

I can confirm that the Pinnacle 7010ix card works fine with both of the dvb-s and dvb-t tuners in use at the same time.

We have a problem when the card has two tuners for an identical signal : a card with two DVB-T tuners for example.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Hi -

There's been some issues identified by users on the green button (a media center dedicated forum) regarding use of dual tuners. It appears to only be an issue on some cards/drivers (I actually run an avermedia pcie dual tuner card - and I record on both tuners at same time).  Hopefully a QFE will be released for this one soon.

an excerpt from a thread started by someone from the media center team at Microsoft  :

(read the entire post from this post on the green button forums)

TV Tuner Issues

The following tuners have been reported as being unable to operate with two DVB-T channels concurrently (special thanks to those of you aggregating tuner info in various posts)

Other Tuners Not working:

• HD Home Run 1
    • ATI 650 usb combo tuners (only be able to setup one)
    • DViCO FusionHDTV5 RT Lite

read more from this post on the green button forums

rgds

Niall

Niall Ginsbourg - MVP Windows Media Center - Australia
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:44 PM
    Answerer
  •  Dual FloppyDTV Tuners from http://www.digital-everywhere.com will also not work. Only a single tuner at a time will work...both were working fine in Vista MCE.

Many user have also reported this on the Digital-Everywhere & GreenButton Forums.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Spence [MVP] said:

When using a dual tuner under MCE it picks up both tuners.

however when recording one channel and attempting to change to another it says there is a conflict and shows that both tuners are recording. 

I had this problem with having a Dvico fusionHTDV5 RT gold and FusionHDTV7 Dual Express cards in the same machine. It was a driver issue on the FusionHDTV7 Dual Express.

I sent the FusionHDTV7 Dual Express card back and got a hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (dual tuner) ,and it works like a charm!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

same issue with a Cinergy DT USB XS Diversity.

Regards,
    Skandy
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:24 PM
  • No problems here running a Hauppauge HVR-2250 dual hybrid tuner.  I'm able to record two channels simultaneously and everything seems to work fine using their 4.7 CD drivers, which were the latest ones last time I checked.  The complete functionality of this card under Windows 7 is actually the primary reason why I initially installed this beta OS, after having issues in Vista with the device.  (now resolved)

I am running both tuners using ATSC if that makes a difference.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Compro VideoMate E700 does not work for me either

we need this fixed, seriously.. i paid good money for my W7 beta !
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Spence [MVP] said:

When using a dual tuner under MCE it picks up both tuners.

spence you never mentioned what type of tuner?

Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Hauppauge 2250 also did not work for me using the Jan beta driver ..."attempting to change to another it says there is a conflict").  Have not tried the Feb beta driver.
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Work around fix

I have seen the same issues on a machine with an internal ATI theatre pro 650 and external hauppauge wintv usb-pvr2. It seems to have some kind of allocation problem especially when I'm switching back and forth from MythTV to Win7. I see the same error as you guys, and have found a work around.

At the start of each viewing session I test both tuners by putting one on record and trying to watch tv on the other. Because my ATI is attached to an external box with different guide info, I can usually determine which one is acting up, but it is not significant in fixing it.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE ALREADY RECORDING!

Simply go into the tasks, settings, tv, set up tv signal, it will ask you at this point if you wish to continue as this will disrupt any recordings going on, say yes, then use Back and head for the main menu, both tuners should now be available.

Unfortunatly, this cannot be used when recording :)

Anybody that trys this, please report back on your experience for the rest of the gang here.

cheers
    Jeff
    • Edited by ellodrith Friday, March 06, 2009 4:50 PM spelling
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Edit: not the same problem at all.  Sorry.  My E700 doesn't work at all.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Has any one found a work around or solution to using a FusionHDTV DVT-B Dual Express tuner with Mecia Centre. I would use the software that came with it but the sound is all choppy although the picture is found. I can't seem to get through the setup in media centre it fails at the install play ready stage with error  0x80070490
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:33 AM
  • A small bump from this old subject to confirm.

I have the issue reported, even after applying the hotfix linked below :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981129

My Config :

Terratec 2400 DTi

Pentium Q6600

Asus P5Q-E

Windows 7 64bits

8GB memory

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:30 PM