none
Re-use product key for Windows 7 Home Premium on Professional

Question

• Hi,

I recently bought a new laptop with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled. However, I have a friend with a copy of Windows 7 Professional, but he already used his product key. Would it be possible to use my product key and his DVD to upgrade my laptop from Home Premium to Professional, or is the product key tied to my specific version?

Thanks!

Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if you want upgrade, you must buy it....:)

Yes, you can use your DVD and your product key. After instalation you must call Microsoft Activation line and it will may activate your copy of Windows 7. BUT > it is not licensed properly...

What version you have? OEM or Retail? What version is Professional? OEM or Retail..?

OEM > one instalation to one hardware < you are not able to change hardware (Motherboard)

RETAIL > one instalation in one time. You can delete this version from one computer and then install to anotherone

• Proposed as answer by Jiří Janata Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Platypus Man Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:24 PM
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

Professional version is higher than Home Premium (Active Directory support, etc). Your scenario is illegal/not right. One copy = one instalation in one time. You can only buy Windows Upgrade throught Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU). Here is no other way.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if you want upgrade, you must buy it....:)

Yes, you can use your DVD and your product key. After instalation you must call Microsoft Activation line and it will may activate your copy of Windows 7. BUT > it is not licensed properly...

What version you have? OEM or Retail? What version is Professional? OEM or Retail..?

OEM > one instalation to one hardware < you are not able to change hardware (Motherboard)

RETAIL > one instalation in one time. You can delete this version from one computer and then install to anotherone

• Proposed as answer by Jiří Janata Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:42 PM
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:27 PM
  • I would assume that both versions would be the retail versions, as each has its unique product key. However, if I replace Home Premium with Professional, I won't be using the Home Premium product key, so I was hoping I could use it to upgrade to Professional.

Just so I'm clear, by "upgrade," I don't mean that I'll be using Microsoft's built-in upgrade utility or anything like that. I was planning on using the DVD to simply reinstall Windows 7 Professional on the computer that had Home Premium, using the same product key.

I wasn't trying to do anything illegal or against the rules, but I figured that as long as I was only using the product key for one version of Windows at a time, it would be alright. I wouldn't want to activate the copy just to find out that it being "not licensed properly" would screw me up down the line.

It's fine if it's not possible. There aren't that many differences between Home Premium and Professional, but I was hoping to do that if possible.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

Professional version is higher than Home Premium (Active Directory support, etc). Your scenario is illegal/not right. One copy = one instalation in one time. You can only buy Windows Upgrade throught Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU). Here is no other way.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:42 PM
  • OK, thanks!
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:23 PM
  • How about the other way round: I bought an upgrade of Windows 7 Professional, but dont want to have to download the whole ISO as I already have a copy downloaded but its Windows 7 Home Premium What will happen if I use the Pro key with Home Premium CD? Is this allowed? Do I need to reinstall using Pro CD I need to download? Thanks
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:54 AM