none
Windows 7 taskbar missing icons

Question

• I have Windows 7 installed and after two days the launch icons of Internet explorer, Media Player and Explorer are missing, i have a empty taskbar.
    Anyone with the same problem?
    Thanks.
    James From Barcelona Spain.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:03 PM

Answers

•  Try to reinstall windows 7 or restore it to a previous state. Maybe that fix the problem. It seems that something is corrupt.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• Try to pin some items into the taskbar. (Right Click on program than choose "Pin to Taskbar")

Does that solve your problem?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:22 PM
  • No, I tray with right clic to an exe program,  but doesn't add anything to the taskbar.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:41 PM
  • What happened if you drag a exe program into the taskbar?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:42 PM
  • I think what you're describing is a small problem I've had a couple times now. A restart might get them back, the other solution that I've found is to unlock the taskbar (right-click it and make sure 'lock the taskbar' is unchecked) and then hover on the edge til you get the double sided arrow to resize, then resize it a little, and that's worked for me a few times now to bring everything back.
    • Proposed as answer by dleiftah Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Nothing, I,ll try to drag an exe file with the same result. But I noticed that when I pin a exe file to taskbar and try for a second time with the same program, the pin option is disabled and only appear unpin from taskbar.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:27 PM
  •  I try,  resize the taskbar and  neither worked for mi. All the other characteristics of Windows 7 are working perfect.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:34 PM
  •  Try to reinstall windows 7 or restore it to a previous state. Maybe that fix the problem. It seems that something is corrupt.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:36 PM
  • I have the same problem. After restart all icons and the clock/date at the right are invisible. Only the Start Button is activ.
    If i change the windows theme all icons are in place.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I restored to a previous point and that solve the problem. However I think the problem was because I used a patch to remove watermark and change my user 32.dll library.
    Thanks a lot everyone for your interest.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

for all others who won't or can't make a restore, two things:
    start windows performance index test, by starting the first direct 3d test, the taskbar icons will reappear, then you can cancel the benchmark
    go to resolution, advanced and set the frequency form 59 to 60 hz and ok,
    the icons reappear.

seems to me like a graphic problem
    maybe its an nvidia problem? i have 8800Gt's
    • Proposed as answer by mechtild Sunday, February 08, 2009 12:22 PM
    Sunday, February 08, 2009 12:22 PM
  • I have the same problem. After about 3 days after loading the icons in Taskbar are invisible everytime when I log on. They are there because if I click where they should be, IE or Media Player open.

So far I can only fix it by right clicking task bar, selecting properties, and either entering a check or removing it from the "Use small Icons" box. then they reapper and stay there the rest of my log-in, But log out and log back on and poof they are invisible again. Will try Restore if no one has a better solution. But will this just come back?
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hi-
    I had a very similar problem- the icons for some apps pinned to the taskbar were wrong. Installing the latest nVidia drivers for Windows 7 fixed it, but I still don't understand why. What was strange was that the icons were okay for most machine users but not for all. Uninstalling/reinstalling- including searching the registry for all remaining traces and removing them- made no difference. I thought maybe it was related to the icon cache, so I resized the screen which usually causes a rebuild of the cache, but no happiness. The only thing that worked was the video driver upgrade.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:08 AM
  • $319 for Windows 7 Ultimate, Vista's just a couple years out, right?, ...I've got the exact 'bug' and no workaround, like we should have to find one, for three hundred and nineteen US dollars. One MVP suggests reinstalling your OS or PC Restore, and that's about it. It's a buggy OS and has been since Windows 2000, and is still buggy. Too much so to charge it's buying customers 319 dollars, even $199. They've gotten so wrapped up in figuring out the price, or what they'll charge for what features to have overlooked simple bugs like this one, or many more that come up before you do have to reinstall because of some more serious reason(s). For the MVP, uninstalls right and don't look back, stand behind your product and fix this garbage before rushing to place it on the shelves for sale. I personally feel only way for the OS to ship, as free upgrade to Vista. Not one red cent, totally free, Windows 7 is what Microsoft conceived 'Vista' to be all along, then, once they've felt confident in a product already for sale, they rename it seven for NT's 6.1 version, that's a no-brainer, and sell it as a separate OS/"product" altogether, it's a product alright, a 'bi-product' of what should of been. Some icons turn up the old windows 'default' icon on the taskbar or gone missing altogether, I can no longer right click a folder stack on the taskbar and choose "Minimize Group", only close now, they left that out, if I've got a lot of windows open, got to minimize them one at a time too. I think that the MVP gave the most sound advice here, reinstall your OS because of some GUI bugs on your taskbar.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:30 AM
  • I'm reinstalling Windows 7 right after I get off this website, I just spent the last week installing and configuring, what's another week, thank you for such sound advice, I guess that's why your the MVP!
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:37 AM
  • I fixed this by right clicking Taskbar > Properties > Taskbar buttons and then changing "Always Combine" to "Combine when taskbar is full". This does change the taskbar behavior and appearance somewhat, but the broken icon problem is (was!) more annoying.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 4:53 AM
  • I fixed this by right clicking Taskbar > Properties > Taskbar buttons and then changing "Always Combine" to "Combine when taskbar is full". This does change the taskbar behavior and appearance somewhat, but the broken icon problem is (was!) more annoying.
    I had this problem but only with one icon - utorrent icon. The above fix worked for me but I wasn't happy with changing the way the taskbar worked. However it occured to me that most of the fixes mentioned (apart from reintstalling windows---sledgehammer/nut anyone) revovlved around icon size. Anyway my fix for this was to replace the utorrent icon with a different one. Not sure if I used a bigger or smaller icon because the original icon was packaged in the exe, but I replaced it with a 48x48 icon using IcoFX. Worked a charm for me - Hope this helps.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Put pointer on the top left of screen, then right click. A list should come up. Make sure the MENU is checked off.

Sharon Hulton

Silver Spring, MD USA

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:27 PM