none
configuring updates stage 3 of 3

Question

• Time for me to chime in here. I too have the same reboot problem where it gives the "configuring updates stage 3 of 3"
    then reboots ad infinitum. I am unsure as to what to do, because entering safe mode gives the same screen (but larger, of course due to limited video drivers). But further more, I have no restore points saved apparently, so going back to a known previous good config is no good either! Does anyone have a last ditch solution?! I hate to reformat the damned thing, but I feel as if the tripods are fast approaching the town and there is little else to do but to hide in the basement until the germs take back the planet!  My rig is an HP pavillion DV9000, btw. Thanks.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 6:27 AM

Answers

• I was having the same problem.  I called the PC Safety help line as I saw in another post here, and they transferred me to Vista support with no charge due to the fact that the issue was related to an update/security update.

With tech support, the following resolved the issue: I suspect the same general steps would resolve any update issue.

1.  Boot from Vista DVD (e.g. ensure BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD).  Note: before the reboot from DVD, they requested that I disconnect attached peripherals: the printer and the wireless kb/mouse. Plugged in wired kb/mouse.

2. Select Repair link from the main menu

3. Select to restore to a previous time

4.  Restore to a point prior to the offending update

5. Restart normally

6. Launch windows update in vista.  Check for updates.  Note the important update that needs to be installed (In this case it was a cumulative update to Vista Home Premium/Media Center edition)  Note the KB# of the update.

In this case it was KB947172: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947172

7. Go back to the main windows update screen.

8. Select settings > Turn off automatic updates:  Choose "Check for updates but let me decide when to download/install)

9.  Locate and manually download the update based upon the KB# of the update (in this case KB947172)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947172

10.  Turn off virus protection, etc.  I have Microsoft Live OneCare.  I disabled virus/spyware.

11. Manually install the downloaded update.

12.  The update required a reboot.  The now familiary "Step 3 of 3" screen came up, completed and then loaded the login screen normally (without the never-ending reboot issue)

13. After desktop loaded normally,

-- Checked Windows update for any important updates (none)

--Enabled automatic updates

--Re-enabled security software (e.g. virus/spyware)

Problem resolved:

This is the text sent by MS Tech support following the incident:

Action:

John, you tried to install the update KB947172.

Result:

John, after installing Windows update KB947172 your computer was not booting to desktop and it was restarting again and again.

Cause:

Since the Windows registry was corrupted thus windows update application was not installing the updates automatically.

Resolution:

We downloaded and installed the update KB947172 manually and after that your computer was upto date.

Hope this helps someone

J

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Windows Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us

A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software feature

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287/en-us

Saturday, May 31, 2008 1:26 AM

All replies

• got exactly the same problem, see http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2849549&SiteID=17

annoying thing.

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:58 PM
  • I was having the same problem.  I called the PC Safety help line as I saw in another post here, and they transferred me to Vista support with no charge due to the fact that the issue was related to an update/security update.

With tech support, the following resolved the issue: I suspect the same general steps would resolve any update issue.

1.  Boot from Vista DVD (e.g. ensure BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD).  Note: before the reboot from DVD, they requested that I disconnect attached peripherals: the printer and the wireless kb/mouse. Plugged in wired kb/mouse.

2. Select Repair link from the main menu

3. Select to restore to a previous time

4.  Restore to a point prior to the offending update

5. Restart normally

6. Launch windows update in vista.  Check for updates.  Note the important update that needs to be installed (In this case it was a cumulative update to Vista Home Premium/Media Center edition)  Note the KB# of the update.

In this case it was KB947172: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947172

7. Go back to the main windows update screen.

8. Select settings > Turn off automatic updates:  Choose "Check for updates but let me decide when to download/install)

9.  Locate and manually download the update based upon the KB# of the update (in this case KB947172)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947172

10.  Turn off virus protection, etc.  I have Microsoft Live OneCare.  I disabled virus/spyware.

11. Manually install the downloaded update.

12.  The update required a reboot.  The now familiary "Step 3 of 3" screen came up, completed and then loaded the login screen normally (without the never-ending reboot issue)

13. After desktop loaded normally,

-- Checked Windows update for any important updates (none)

--Enabled automatic updates

--Re-enabled security software (e.g. virus/spyware)

Problem resolved:

This is the text sent by MS Tech support following the incident:

Action:

John, you tried to install the update KB947172.

Result:

John, after installing Windows update KB947172 your computer was not booting to desktop and it was restarting again and again.

Cause:

Since the Windows registry was corrupted thus windows update application was not installing the updates automatically.

Resolution:

We downloaded and installed the update KB947172 manually and after that your computer was upto date.

Hope this helps someone

J

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Thanks indefinitely for the help. 
    Unfortunately I don't have my Vista DVD with me,
    but when I have a chance to try this I will. 
    Has anyone else tried this?  and did it work??
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:40 PM

• as i read through the forums, the "quick fix" requires the vista boot disk,
    and i'm afraid i don't have one. vista came pre-instaled on my laptop,
    when i bought it from fry's.
    it's a sony vaio cr-240 with vista home basic on it.
    when someone knows how to completely fix
    it, can they e-mail me or post it on
    the forum i have? i'll still be
    checking this one too.

Crazyathalo@gmail.com

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2856301&SiteID=1
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Hi, I hope this makes sense and helps, someone may want to rewrite in computer speak, but I'm trying, I learned this today.  I came here for help too, then I called HP as we've only had the laptop a couple of weeks, he said he'd helped 2 people this morning.  We did an imporoper shutdown and at reboot picked restore to the last proper start settings (sorry, not exactly what the screen said, but that was basically it).  That apparently worked for the others, but when it did not work for my system (still went to the loading infinitum page) he said, that's all we can try, do a full recovery back to the factory settings.  I asked couldn't we go in and pick a restore point to set to, he said no.  I didn't want the recovery and said I'll play around a bit, bye.  Trials with f8 and f11 got me into system recovery, where you need to pick 'custom' to get into system restore. It says you have to exit recovery to do a restore, do so and wait, restore will open after awhile.

Pick a restore point from the list (a date) before the update loaded.  It took me 2 tries, the first date hit an error and I had to try again with an earlier date.  It was hard because the first time (I booted with f11, I think, could have been f8) and picked 'directory services boot logging' down the list) and after it did not work, I could not get into recovery again through it, but later picked recovery from the safe mode list, and got back in.  So keep trying the restore point, hopefully eventually it takes.

I'm not really computer savy, obviously, and I hope this make sense, someone may want to rewrite this in easier to understand cpu speak!

Once restored I changed my windows update settings to ask me before downloading or updating.  I don't know if that's best, but it's working for me.

It's fixable, if I can get it, you can!!  Kelly

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:50 PM
  • I had the same problem but soon found out how to solve it.

When your computer is rebooting after saying Configuring Update Stage 3 of 3 quickly press and hol down F8. Then advanced options should come up click on repair computer, i cant really remember what happened but it was something like it loaded our files and wot not. The windows vista will come up ask for your Country, click united kingdom..or wherever you are from then next it will then ask u to put in your usual log in details for when you turn on your pc normally click from the drop down menu your username or Administor then type in password, if u have no log in details i think you just click adminstator then next, it will then come up as System Recovery Options, click the second one down System Restore. It will now ask you what date you would like to restore back too, i would recommened a couple of days depends on how long you have had the problem, i restored mine back to 14th Feb 08 and i fixed mine 17th so i could recommened a couple of days, select which programs you would like to restore i just did my pc make eg, Acer
    Your files will now restore this may take around 10-15 minutes depending on how much you have on ur pc, once the restore is complete retsart the pc and allow ur pc to fire up normally, you should then be able to carry on as normal. To prevent this from happpening again go on Windows Updates and either turn off ur updates and you can decide when you install/download them so it doesnt do it automatically.

Hope this helped, reply if u need more help

xx
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Hi

I have tried system restore but it tells me that I have no restore points. Do these have to be taken manually? If I use the vista disc(which was never provided to me when i purchased my laptop) will it have restore points?

Can someone please help me if they have any information on this as I really dont want to format my computer. I purchased it with vista and am dual booting with vista which took me ages to figure out how to get working, not to mention reinstallation of all programs, purchasing an external hard drive to backup information before formatting etc etc. There must be a fix for this. Anyone? Microsoft????

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:03 AM
  • My wife had the same problem, also with a DV9000 HP laptop.  I am curious, did most of the computers having this problem upgrade to Vista, or was Vista already installed.  Our laptop was advertised as Vista Capable, and even included the free upgrade disks when they became available the following month.

The problem that confounded us both (and we are both relatively tech-savvy) is that we could not boot from the CD/DVD drive at all (yes, I checked the BIOS, and option 1 was missing while option 2 was the CD/DVD drive).  F8 (or F11) did not open any additional screens.  Attempts to start in (any) safe mode resulted in a loading of the drivers, then a return to the Stage 3 of 3 Reboot Cycle from Hell.  My wife warned against the 22lb sledgehammer solution I wanted.

HP claimed to have a solution (but I have heard from a few posts that they don't seem to) that can be worked through over the phone for a charge of $59.00 (if you can understand the Indian accent, which I barely could).  I told them I would work on the problem a bit more and get back to them if need be.  The laptop is barely over a year old.  Add insult to injury, a new motherboard and HD was installed by Best Buy (under warranty), AKA Geek Squad, less than three months ago.

Any ideas?  I delivered the laptop to Geek Squad so that they may run a diagnostic, but would rather pick it back up and solve this myself.

My HP desktop successfully installed KB947172 update with no problem.  Is this issue more common with laptops?

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:17 AM
  • Hello there, I too have a dv9000 notebook. NO restore points, no luck booting to repair function using hard drive, or dvd or f8, etc. LUCKILY, I was able to use the file backup wizzard thingy that is featured when you hit f 10 or 12 or insert the restore disk or whatever. So what I did was rather than try to undo this madness, is to put a jump drive in and just back up the files one type at a time (you can check boxes for pix, files, etc.) THEN I backed the stuff up and simply reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows (something i do bi yearly anyway) kinda sucks, b/c what if i had some super important stuff on there that could not be backed up! They should have tested it more before releasing this. Hope this helps.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 7:39 AM
  • I have found a way of getting out of the updates,

if you press F11 or F9 whilst the computer is starting up then it will exit the updates and you will be able to log on to your computer.  You can then restart your computer and it will finish the updates.  

Daniel

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:24 PM
  • This is a good post, but I would like to add a bit of clarification for this and the others below it.

If you have a retail copy of Windows  Vista (brought the CD form a store) you will need to boot to the CD to get to the repair options, as Eljay mentions in step 1 and 2,

If you have an OEM copy of Windows Vista (came pre-installed on your computer) its easier and faster to restart your computer and press F8 as it's starting back up. 

In the Boot Menu options click "Repair your computer."

This will take you into the Windwos Recovery environment, where you can then choose 'System Restore"

Also, What I have been seeing with this,

Once system restore has been selected its been taking up to a full minute for the system restore window to open and some people are getting the impression that its not responding.  Just be patient it will come up

Once in System restore choose a restore point and comtinue with the rest of the instructions in eljays post

Thank You

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Over six thousand people have the same problem that have visited this thread.  All of us need help yet Microsoft refuses to respond to this thread,. And address the problem. Calling their support 3 times getting Indians that can barely speak English and have little regard for fixing the problem.  Only adds to the frustration. Anyone want to join a class action lawsuit against Microsoft ?

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:46 AM
  •  

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Windows Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us

A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software feature

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287/en-us

Saturday, May 31, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Well, I too having the same problem. But it has got nothing to do with Indians being able to speak English or not. Its Microsoft's issue. Please refarin from writing about any specific Country people or religion/cast as this problem has got nothing todo with external issues.

Thanks,
    Subhadip
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Thank you this was extremely helpful, and worked first time
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:15 PM
  • You wouldn't even need to do a roll back of the sytem. Here is what you need to do.

1. Boot the computer into the “Safe Mode” options by pressing F8 prior the Windows Logo. 
    2. Select the option “Repair Your Computer” 
    Note: If you do not have this option, you will need the client’s Windows Disc. Once you have that disc, boot into it as if you were to install windows and after you select the language you will get the “Repair Your Computer” option. 
    3. Now you can get into Command Prompt 
    4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder 
    5. Then type: rename pending.xml to pending.old.xml 
    6. Now reboot the PC, you might still see the configuring updates, but this time it will go away. 

And walaa, there you go, problem fixed.

Thank You
    • Proposed as answer by azo zaza Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Thanks Stitcheryisme. My 12-year-old son can now get back on MSN. He is happy, and he thanks you too!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 12:53 AM
  • OK even as this forum is really old, still i found it very useful even if the nature of my problem wasn't that of the so "dreaded" update.

Well, so the first sing i got that something was not ok was that when i used windows update on windows vista home premium, i got this error message the three times i tried to update, since i usually use xp pro sp3 im a bit used to the error messages on updates and thought it was nothing.
    Hours later when i restarted my Sony vaio Vgn Cr116E, i had the same "configuring updates 3 - 3 0%" message and the reboot loop from *** issue and tried to make it go into windows in every possible way, safe mode and everything and it would always display the configuring updates message so i pretty much lost my hope, when i found out that no recovery disc had been provided to my sister from best buy when she bought the computer y really went into cracking the problem.
    I tried all of the so called f8, f9, f10 ,f11 and stuff, none of them showing me the "repair" dialog i was looking for, and almost gave up on having to ship that thing to someplace where it could be repaired when i was playing with the f8 and f11 and im sorry i can't explain what i did (actually i had to do that again as im writing this thing since the reboot happened again after restarting the system, guess i'll have to deactivate auto updates, but the thing is that when you press the f8 key during the time the "vaio, intel" logo apears you'll go to the boot menu or whatever its called and i really don't know what did i pressed but i can remember reading the recovery menu for :vaio recovery center (i played with the f8, f10 and f11 keys try that out) and that menu will only show you the safe mode, debbuging, recovery for directories and windows normal settings options, so you gotta press the esc button so that you go to the boot manager that will display either "windows vista and windows memory analizer as a tool" or "vaio recovery center [ems enabled] and windows memory analizer as a tool" again im sorry i cannot describe you how i did it  because i really don't know which key did the trick, so you boot up in the vaio recovery center and the rest is piece of cake, one thing, since the problem still happened when i selected a recovery point after the windows update install, i would recommend selecting a restore point before the latest windows update just in case so that the reboot from *** won't come back and haunt you until you get a windows vista cd, right know im just booting up my system and there's no trace of the reboot loop
    for all the vaio users since the hp didn' help me that much apart from getting me to play with the f8 f9 f10 f11 keys
    hope this helps other people that have the same issue, i don't think it was the same update that caused the mass reboot loop, but i was windows update nonetheless, so hope it helps

Kurkotain
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:17 AM
  • Nader, I love you!!!! Thanks a lot! You saved my life! xxxxxxxxx
    Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:21 PM
  •  December 25th - yep Christmas day - thanks Microsoft for your stinky update which got me caught in your stinking configuring updates 3 of 3 never ending loop with nothing seemiongt to work t get out of it on my daughters new laptop- so much for Skyping relatives at Chrsitmas then!

Eventually got out of it - shut down - restart constantly pressing F5, then highlight repair computer (takes some minutes to reset), then system restore at least a few days.

That did it.

T

Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:06 PM
  • One of my clients has the same problem except this is not in the "shutdown loop" issue. This is every time the computer boots up it hits the splash screen before login and this same "configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0 complete do not turn off computer" shows up. First time it just hung there for about an hour while I was working on another machine. I hard reset as there was nothing else to do and it rebooted with same thing except it sits there at the configuring updates screen for about 30 seconds then goes to user login screen. So I am able to log in but every restart I do it keeps coming up configuring updates stage 3 of 3 and slows down the boot process. I have done about 15 restarts like this.

This is a computer that is backed up every day and quickbooks is backed up online. Recovery disk in hand...However, I can't just easily restore to yesterday and things will be fine when there is quickbooks and loads of other things that havn't been backed up in the last 24 hours. 

Can anybody verify that using the command prompt and renaming the .xml file to old will fix this issue? I can boot into windows fine(vista) at least for now..Is there a registry key that needs to be deleted or something?

Thanks ahead for any help.

Nathan
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:05 AM
  • know you posted this a long time ago but i have just had the same problem and followed your instructions and computers working again.thanks for this help.Michelle.x
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:54 AM
  • configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete

Hi,

Customer unable to boot to desktop. Tried Safe Mode, LKGC, System restore, Start up Repair from win RE still unable to Boot.

Try  to perform a Manual System Restore to fix the issue.

·         Boot from Vista DVD

·         Get in to WINRE

·         Open command prompt

·         Enter the following commands to create a Manual System Restore to fix the issue.

C:

cd windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config>ren default default.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren sam sam.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren security security.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren software software.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren system system.old

C:\windows\system32\config>cd regback

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy default c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy sam c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy security c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy software c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy system c:\windows\system32\config

Thanks .

Arun.

Arun
    • Proposed as answer by Mike_jane Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:39 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:04 AM
  • I've also encountered the "configuring updates stage 3 of 3" infinite reboot problem after manually uninstalling IE8 since the IE8 uninstall info was missing.  But I found the cause, my brother improperly shut down the Dell laptop (he quickly close the laptop lid after choosing the Shut Down option from the Start menu, barely a big nono) and CHKDSK was launched to fix disk errors.  Doing that resulted in missing or corrupted Vista files like the URLMON.DLL file.  Had no other way to restoring that file and other missing Vista system files but to re-install the Vista Home Basic OS and IE8.

I have to remind my brother not to improperly shut down the laptop to avoid future occurrence with this problem
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:47 PM
  • if all else fails, (in which 90% of the solutions all over the net did) go into 'user accounts' in 'control panel' turn OFF UAC (user account control) and reboot. My sons computer had to put up with the 'Intalling service pack: stage 3 of 3' endless ____ and at shut down the 'Configuring Updates' loop when shutting down ALL THE TIME even after windows had updated other updates, until UAC was turned OFF. Apparently it seems that even though he's the only user with admin access Vista refuses to believe this.

Rot in ____ MS. leave it to you to have an update that screws up your own update process.

All in all if it weren't for Linux being a very good game friendly OS I would drop MS in a heartbeat. I'm just waiting for the day I can play all my games in Linux, then MS can kiss my rosey red ____.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I tried numerous different things from system restore and repair to last known good config,etc.  I had reached a point where I was ready to toss in the towel and re-format my drive and loose all my data... But I gave your solution a try as a last ditch effort and you were absolutely correct...walaaa!!!!  Thanks a million Nader!!!!!!
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:40 AM
  • 4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder
    5. Then type: rename pending.xml to pending.old.xml     <---

THIS WORKS 100%./ Try this before anything else and it will work. Thumbs up Nader
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Help!
    Thank you all for the rename and regedit solutions... sure they work
    BUT I CANNOT GET TO A COMMAND PROMPT!!!!

As many, I am stuck in an endless Vista loop "upgrades 3 out of 3 - 83%" then shuts down and reboots on my Vaio GLX XLS302. I am stuck for 5 days now. I found how to solve it:
    1/ go to a command prompt
    2/ rename pending.xml into pending.old
    3/ go into regedit and delete a couple of files
    THE PROBLEM IS I CANNOT GET TO THE COMMAND PROMT !!!!
    F8 gets me safe modes +... but then switches to windows & vista
    F10 gets me into a reinstallation procedure which i fear makes me lose all data
    F2 gets into BIOS but then what from there?
    WHAT IS THE KEY TO GO TO COMMAND PROMPT
    Please help! Thank you!
    Cos

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:20 PM
  • This is not a Vista-only issue. The same issue occurs in Windows Server 2008.
    Life Is...
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:01 AM

• i have finally encounted this problem as of today... a total reformat is out of the question since it my girls computer and has all her stuff for school (teacher)... i have TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD FIND ON THE NET and NOTHING has worked.... i have gotten to a command prompt but it tells me invalid file name or path or somthing like that....
     as for being or not being MS problem ........... ITS A 110% MS PROBLEM !! why do you think there are vehicle recalls ?
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 3:06 AM
  • I would jion you in a lawsuit, this has rendered my laptop useless, microsoft wants 139.00 to put me with someone who can fix it but I don't feel I should have to pay since it is a microsoft glitch, I have tried all the remadies to fix this with no luck, so my "new" laptop is shot.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:24 PM
  • the update KB947172 been installed since buy of the computer 2008 jun 26 since. the auto-update auto-changed to 'never check for updates' this 2009 oct 10 since.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Ultimately, Microsoft support SHOULD cover this FREE as it is a Windows Update issue, if you call them and they try to charge you, ask to speak to a manager or supervisor.  

Nader Zaveri has the answer above! AMAZING that it is NOT in the English Microsoft KB link here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en 
    BUT... it is in the Finnish link to the same KB article here: : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/fi.

In the Finnish article, there is a 3rd Method listed (translated by Google Translate):

Method 3: Rename the file Pending.xml again, and then edit the registry
    Read the comments on the following important notes before this diagnostic method used.
    This method lets you solve the problem of symptoms described in the section on re-boot the problem so that you can back up data before reinstalling Windows.
    Use this troubleshooting method only if you plan to back up your data and reinstall Windows.
    Use this method only after you have tried other ways.

Note: If your computer is not configured to boot from a CD or DVD drive, look for jatkamisohjeet the documentation that came with your computer.
    Use this method only if you do not have restore points, or if you can not start the computer at the point where System Restore is available.
    After you use this method, the following occurs before the Windows re-installation:
    Updates is not installed correctly.
    Windows Update will not work correctly.
    The installation process may not be able to stop during patch installation.
    Certain optional Windows features on or remove from use may not be possible.
    Some of the optional Windows features may not work correctly.
    The computer may be in an unprotected mode.
    If you want to rename Pending.xml file, and edit the registry, follow these steps.

Start Windows Vista and go to the System Recovery Options:
    Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then restart the computer.
    When prompted to restart from the disc, press any key.
    When prompted, specify the language you want to install, Time and currency format and keyboard layout or input method options. Then click Next.
    Click the Windows Setup page, Repair your computer.
    Select the correct Windows Vista version of System Recovery Options page, then click Next.
    Pending.xml the name of the file again and system restore settings to edit the registry:
    In the System Recovery Options page in the Command Prompt.
    Type cd c: \ windows \ winsxs, and then press ENTER.
    Write ren pending.xml pending.old and then press ENTER.
    Type regedit and then press ENTER.
    Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    From the File menu, click Load Hive.
    Locate the following folder:
    C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ config \ components
    When you are prompted for the name, type Offline_Components.
    Find and delete the following registry subkey in the Registry:
    HLKM \ Offline Components \ AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    HKLM \ Offline Components \ PendingXmlIdentifier
    Close the Registry Editor:
    Close the Registry Editor by typing the command exit.
    Press the ENTER key.
    Click Restart.

What an oversight on Microsoft's part, to not include this fix in the English version of the KB!!!!
    Monday, December 28, 2009 11:20 AM
  • My friend had this problem and I followed the advice to the letter and it worked a treat thank you Eljay67.

Jaritosy
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I have also this problem. I done all methods, the safe mode, the safe mode with networking, and the safe mode with command prompt. Thus, it continues to occur. I dont have installation cd. My computer is HP COMPAQ Presario V3000. My computer contains very important files and i haven't back-up these files. anyone possible solution except reformatting? 

Thanks,
    Dan 
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:13 AM
  • I have also this problem. I done all methods, the safe mode, the safe mode with networking, and the safe mode with command prompt. Thus, it continues to occur. I dont have installation cd. My computer is HP COMPAQ Presario V3000. My computer contains very important files and i haven't back-up these files. And it destructs my concentration on creating applications. Anyone possible solution except reformatting? 

Thanks,
    Dan 

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Dan, what OS are you using? If you don't have the original CD, and the HP came with the OS preinstalled, you may be able to contact HP support and ask them to provide the installation media as part of the repair process (they won't charge you for it if under warranty). You could then try the repair options listed above. If you can't get the installation CD any other way, torrent it, but be careful to select one that isn't a virus or worse. You could also slave out the drive and pull the data off it.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:25 PM
  • I am using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic. Ok thanks for that.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:27 AM
  • I was stucked in this problem for about 1 week.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:53 AM
  • so this is an old post , but many ppl still have the problem including me I'll tell you something easy to do , and this works for everyone in the world , no exceptions . first you need a flash memory formatted with Linux Ubounto on it that has been configured to be used as a USB hard disk just insert the flash memory in your PC and press F9 , and choose USB hard disk and from Ubounto , you can easily take your files in a hard disk and then safely format your PC and voila , ur good !
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Unfortunately, I have misplaced the Vista DVD that came with my Sony Notebook.

Can I use another users Vista DVD?  

If my OS is Vista Home, will another users Vista "spring series" work too?

Thanks in advance.

LT

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I cannot get anything to work. Command prompt never came on. I tried several times. Anything I try seems to start doing whatever I wish, but then Windows Vista HP goes right back in that looping.

I have worked with a complete turn-off of laptop. Then I hit F8 and it puts in all the correct information as to what to do, but the problem is it can't do anything. No problems are found (?), nothing seems to be wrong. I also get a list of what I want to do: diagnostics of several types, etc. Even though it acts as if it's getting what I want such as the command prompt, it goes into looping.

Why didn't MS take care of this long ago? I bought my laptop long after the problem was known. I wonder how many people have spent hundreds of dollars on the problem. I can't. I don't have the funds to do it. Maybe in a matter of months or a year. I'm older and have only SS income, but I must have the Internet on the laptop in case I decide to reopen my copy editing job or my financial counseling job here in my home. I've been recovering from several surgeries and a nasty falll or two.

I am using my Dell (1999) to try to fix this problem. No CD was given at time of vuying the laptop. I requested it stating everyone gets a CD. He said to get it from HP (I thought I had purchased it from HP, but someone had a way of putting in their sheet for checking what I wanted. Great deal, but without the disk I'm in trouble. I have Recovery disks but I fear those might really mess up things.

I need to know how to get the laptop to do as I choose on the lists of choices we have rather than stopping just short of it starting and then returning to the looping. Oh, I did get into a program Vista has in it that runs all manner of tests plus trying to fix the problem. At the end (takes a long time to do this) it flips back to the looping and #3 of the configuration (1, 2 are okay).

If I can't get into that computer I'm sunk. I cannot pay someone to fix it. Here online I did all my input like here only even more carefully (I'm now tired out and my brain is half aslssp) and after all that explaining I got a message it would cost $129 for ONE problem (having named it free just before I wrote a note to that company). I hate being misled. I need someone who enjoys this sort of challenge and will just be Mr. or Ms. Nice Guy and help like it used to be some time ago. I could always get help free. For something NOT my fault, I should not have to pay. MS needs to help us out. Thanks.

Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:12 AM
  • This assumes one can get the commands to work. I cannot get to anything. I can't get a listing of what's on the computer. I cannot get ONE thing to work that would allow me to do just a tiny thing. No Safe Mode in anything. Just not there. It just goes back into the looping.

And why, after ALL this time MS has never warned anyone? I saw a note whizzing by a while ago stating the problem of the looping had been fixed by MS. But they don't say what to do now that they KNOW it didn't work. It's over two years right about here, and had I known one thing beforehand I could have avoided this mess. I'm using my old old PC. Thank goodness I thought to keep it going in my home LAN!!!

If anyone finds this and knows how to fix the problem when no commands or fixes or restores or go back to best date and so on, I'd love to know what to do.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Thanks a lot Nader!

It worked for me. Have had the problem for a couple of weeks. But now I'm in!

It just took some time to figure out how to open the winsxs and how to type in the renaming command. It had to be like this: ren pending.xml pending.old.xml not 'renAME' and without 'to' in our case.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 12:07 AM
  • You wouldn't even need to do a roll back of the sytem. Here is what you need to do.

1. Boot the computer into the “Safe Mode” options by pressing F8 prior the Windows Logo. 
    2. Select the option “Repair Your Computer” 
    Note: If you do not have this option, you will need the client’s Windows Disc. Once you have that disc, boot into it as if you were to install windows and after you select the language you will get the “Repair Your Computer” option. 
    3. Now you can get into Command Prompt 
    4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder 
    5. Then type: rename pending.xml to pending.old.xml 
    6. Now reboot the PC, you might still see the configuring updates, but this time it will go away. 

And walaa, there you go, problem fixed.

Thank You

Well renaming pending.xml to pending.old.xml  did work.

But I had this problem in Windows Server 2008 which did the same thing when I boot to to safe mode. Windows 2008 server does not give 'Repair' option too. Luckily I had a Vista repair disk. I booted to it. used the commnd prompt, went to C:\Windows\winsxs folder  and renamed pending.xml to pending.old.xml.

I restarted and the issue disappeared.

Thanks Nader.

Hari.

Hari Subu

• Proposed as answer by Harisubu Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:14 PM
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:13 PM
  • oh dear me, Im still at this moment trying all this out, Im not very techno minded, so its difficult to follow, but being on with Virgin Media today whom I took out a monthly payment plan to only solve this issue for me, which they couldnt do, so I cancelled it.

I will give this way a try now, I have my disc,but can you tell me just how long it will eventually take to get rid of that darn annoying sign 'Configuring Updates stages 3 of 3 Please?

My laptop has been like this for months I just put it away as I have a tower PC that I prefer to use, but though I get it out to sell if I can remedy the problem that is.

Thanking you

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:49 PM
  • I dont have 'A Repair Link' option on my screen when trying to reboot.

I do have PC Support though, I will give them a ring as other ways have failed, I did have it up and running just the once last night, but it returned again.

Will try again later when Ive more time to sit at it, unfortunately a woman's work is never done :-)

Maureen.

Lordbless

I also have my disc from when I purchased my laptop and a restore system disc, so will try these also.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:59 AM
  • oh Kelly

your so my kind of person, Im not into all this pc lingo either, Im so not good with it all, so I really do thank you for putting it into terms that I too can understand.

I will try your way, later, as us females have many other tasks to perform, more so during daytime, and my kids are all reared by the way.

Thanking you greatly, I will let you know later on how it goes, if that's okay.

My laptop is way older, but I did get it going last night, but didnt get to change the settings you mentioned to prevent them downloads happening, as it always did updating every time it was closed down, Im guessing this is how this update happened in the first place.

Thank you again.

Lordbless you too.

Maureen

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Snap,

I too cannot boot the disc to load, it just keeps repeatedly installing all the drivers when I go into F8,F11 or F12 and choose options from there, and still to my annoyance that darn thing shows up again...'Configuring stages 3 0f 3 0% complete' I like your remedy though of the 22lb sledgehammer solution that brought a welcoming smile to me, as this is enough to drive one nutty.

My laptop has been like this for months now, I put it away about 6 months ago, as I just kept waiting on it installation being completed, which of course was never going to happen.

Now I have been trying for days, on and off as I have to walk away from it after each hour of trial, or the hammer job would be a temptation.

Did you ever get yours sorted back to working order.

My laptop isnt new, its a few years old perhaps 3 now, but wasnt used much as I use this tower more?

Lordbless

Maureen

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Forgot to say, I did manage to get it sorted one time, but began to look at the photos I hadnt seen for ages, instead of changing the settings on it, then the laptop just went off itself and of course the menace returned forthwith.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Tell me please, how do you format the drive, I do not have anything on my laptop that I mind loosing, except for my photos but I can live with that, loosing them if I have to.

I do have the disc that came with it, so can return it to factory settings if I can only get to be able to do that without that so infuriating stages 3 of 3 appearing?

Lordbless

Maureen

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:26 PM
  • Surely Daniel

A choice must be made when F9 or F11 is selected, it just wont automatically exit the updates itself, so how come please?

Lordbless

Maureen

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:28 PM
  • I do not have the 'repair your computer' option after pressing the F8 button.

So cant follow this train of solving :( if only....

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:31 PM
  • Amen, were and when?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:31 PM
  • azozaza

I dont get an option to do anything else after I select 'Repair your Computer' it just keeps installing all the drivers again and still coming up with that same old slogan 'Configuring stages 3 of 3' I think im going to loose the plot over this, Ive been at this for days with no results.

Lordbless

Maureen

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:38 PM