none
New EPG download problem in Media Center

Question

• I'm currently experiencing problems downloading the EPG guide in Windows 7 Media Center and Vista Media Center.  Over the last 2-3 weeks, the guide download has stopped working on all of my computers in Vista and 7.

The error code is 34 and this is caused when Media Center cannot establish an connection to the internet.

I have to connect to the internet via a proxy server/webcache.  I have contacted the network support people and they took network activity captures and

identified a problem with Media Center not respecting the proxy/webcache settings in Internet Explorer and hence it cannot download the guide. 

Previously, this process has worked perfectly on the network and I am told no changes have been around the time the problem started.

This only occurs on a wired network. For the same computer connected via wireless on the same proxy/webcache, the guide sucessfully downloaded and Media

Center respected the proxy settings.  There are multiple machines exhibiting this behaviour.

Is anyone aware of any changes Microsoft has made to the guide download process over in the last month or so which may have resulted in this sort of

behaviour as this appears to be a bug in Media Center.

Thanks

elyoh
    Friday, February 13, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

•  Hi,

If you connect to Internet via proxy, the connection settings in IE is only applied to IE. I suggest that you launch cmd as administrator and run the following command in it to set proxy for all programs.

netsh winhttp set proxy [proxyname]:[port]

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. Then check the result again.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Problem solved. Network support said:

The problem was an issue with the way that the web proxies handled Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD) requests.

There was an issue with Vista requesting a .dat file from the web proxy to correctly implement the pac file that is used to configure your outbound connections. It looks like the problem came down to a single line in packet sent back to Vista that didn't have a hostname entry and Vista needs it to authenticate the proxy.

Our current theory is that Microsoft are trying to move away from using the proxy set in Internet Explorer as the default for the whole system, or it might just be a mistake.

The above may be helpful to others experiencing similar issues behind a proxy. This issue was also causing problems with using Windows Update in Vista.

elyoh
    • Marked as answer by elyoh Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:17 PM
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:17 PM

All replies

• I am not getting any error code. However, It randomly stopped and i have not been able to download since. It has become very annoying. I have been trying to find this solution for about a month now. I get no error codes. It simply says "2/‎21/‎2009 12:09:45 AM - Windows Media Center Update Log Started" and that's all.0 The tray app does not respond when I click "Get Latest Listings" it does not grey out as it used to. Although, I can uncheck "Enable Guide Listing Downloads" so I know that the app is not frozen or crashing. It just simply will not download.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:13 AM
  • I just double checked and it didn't give an error code in Windows 7 but it said something in the log window.  I could get it to attempt a download and it lists various items in the log that it tries to fetch and then says that the connection failed.

As an aside, for Windows 7, I have just found that you can use the "over air guide listings" if they are available where you live.  Where I live, a TV guide is broadcast alongside the TV signals (although it only lasts for 7 days as opposed to microsoft's 14 days).

This can be set up by editing the channel listings.  In Media Center, go to Tasks, Settings, TV, Guide, Edit Channels.  Then select a channel and select Edit Listings from the left hand list of options.  There will then be an option on the left hand side which says "Enable Inband".  If you click this, it should then start to update the program guide with data from the over air EPG.

This is going to be very useful for computers with no internet connections or those with problems accessing microsoft data server.  Why this option can't be chosen when you initially set up media center is beyond me! It still doesn't answer why we cannot get the internet guide but it is a solution none the less.

elyoh
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:13 PM
  •  Hi,

If you connect to Internet via proxy, the connection settings in IE is only applied to IE. I suggest that you launch cmd as administrator and run the following command in it to set proxy for all programs.

netsh winhttp set proxy [proxyname]:[port]

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. Then check the result again.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Problem solved. Network support said:

The problem was an issue with the way that the web proxies handled Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD) requests.

There was an issue with Vista requesting a .dat file from the web proxy to correctly implement the pac file that is used to configure your outbound connections. It looks like the problem came down to a single line in packet sent back to Vista that didn't have a hostname entry and Vista needs it to authenticate the proxy.

Our current theory is that Microsoft are trying to move away from using the proxy set in Internet Explorer as the default for the whole system, or it might just be a mistake.

The above may be helpful to others experiencing similar issues behind a proxy. This issue was also causing problems with using Windows Update in Vista.

elyoh
    • Marked as answer by elyoh Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:17 PM
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Mate, there is no an option on the left hand side which says "Enable Inband". what you said is unavailable no . Any suggestions?

Mate,en select a channel and select Edit Listings from the left hand list of options.  There will then be an option on the left hand side which says "Enable Inband".  If you click this, it should then start to update the program guide with data from the over air EPG.

• Proposed as answer by robburgh Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:39 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 9:19 AM
  • My Windows 7 Media Center was unable to download electronic program guides for about a month and a half.  I search all the websites and tried all the fixes to no avail.  I have an always on internet connection.  Tested my connection within Media Center.  I tried to reconfigure my TV.  I tried alternate zip codes within my area.  Nothing worked.  First, I found that I had NRMBMCHandler.dll (9KB) missing from my ehome directory.  (C:/Windows/ehome/NRMBMCHandler.dll).  I replaced the file using a copy from another computer.

Then I found on the Microsoft Developers website instructions on Recovering a Corrupted Guide Data Store.

1. Close Windows Media Center

2. Open Task Scheduler (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Schedule Tasks)

3. In the console tree under Task Scheduler (Local), expand Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Media Center.

4.  In the console window under Name, right click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and then click Run.

After that action is complete, open Windows Media Center.  A message pops up telling you that the system has repaired guide listings and the listings will be downloaded.  Check your recording schedule as the repair may have interfered with scheduled recording. 

After that, problem with EPG was corrected.  No reinstall was necessary.  Hope this helps others.

Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:48 PM