none
Bluescreen on Boot for Vista 32 Ultimate

Question

• I have a page fault in non paged area bluescreen,

it identifies win32k.sys as the problem.

at 9C8868F base 9C800000

I have tried svc .scannow, and scanfile=c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys

And it says the process is not allowed.

It will not boot in safe mode, (any of them)
    It will not boot in any option.
    It will not repair automatically

In safe mode the last dll to load is irsys then it hangs

___________-

The Pc is a Toshiba laptop with 2 gigs of ram, Nvidea 8500 video card, and fingerprint logon.

What does win32k.sys do?
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 1:31 AM

Answers

• Believe me, I can appreciate the difficulty.

From the repair console, command com, I can access the c: drive.  So I have been able to back up some of my data.

I have found several files in my system recovery folder.  However, the system recovery option only accesses one date Oct 4th at 3:48 am.  This despite having several backups to January 2008.  I am tempted to delete that entry, on the hopes that the recovery module will pick an earlier one to reinstate.  But don't want to screw somthing up worse than it is.

Windows is obviously attempting to launch, I think it fails just before login.  Safe mode hangs just after cplir.sys, which I take to be my finger print reader.

From the command line, regedit appears to open an empty registry.  Would that mean that the registry is repopulated as part of the boot process?

Windows resource protection doesn't appear to run.  SFC.exe /scannow returns "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

As it is the weekend customer support at Microsoft and Toshiba is unavailable to me, so I am reading and studying so I can be up on what ever solutions might work.

To me it feels like a registry corruption at issue.

Oh and the memory scan in the repair module reports nothing wrong.
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi

If the system is unbootable, it's difficult to advise you on how to proceed from here. Your options will depend on what recovery components were installed by Toshiba and how to access these components. These recovery options will vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer.

I would recommend contacting Toshiba Support and checking to see what recovery options you have on that system.

Toshiba Support - Homepage:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:14 PM

• Believe me, I can appreciate the difficulty.

From the repair console, command com, I can access the c: drive.  So I have been able to back up some of my data.

I have found several files in my system recovery folder.  However, the system recovery option only accesses one date Oct 4th at 3:48 am.  This despite having several backups to January 2008.  I am tempted to delete that entry, on the hopes that the recovery module will pick an earlier one to reinstate.  But don't want to screw somthing up worse than it is.

Windows is obviously attempting to launch, I think it fails just before login.  Safe mode hangs just after cplir.sys, which I take to be my finger print reader.

From the command line, regedit appears to open an empty registry.  Would that mean that the registry is repopulated as part of the boot process?

Windows resource protection doesn't appear to run.  SFC.exe /scannow returns "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

As it is the weekend customer support at Microsoft and Toshiba is unavailable to me, so I am reading and studying so I can be up on what ever solutions might work.

To me it feels like a registry corruption at issue.

Oh and the memory scan in the repair module reports nothing wrong.
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:51 PM