none
Starting excel file with task scheduler

Question

• I have excel 2007 and would like to schedule a task (windows 7) to open an excel file every day. I have tried to schedule it but the file is not a program. How can I schedule to open an excel file with the task scheduler? What is the action?

Thanks,

MBalmas

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:58 AM

Answers

• This should work.

Go to Task Scheduler, on the right click on "Create Basic Task...". Give the task a name and click next. Select a trigger (Daily in the case you mentioned here) and click next. Set the time and recurrence period and click next. In the Action, select "Start a program" and click next. In the Program/script text box browse for your Excel file and click next (leave the other text boxes empty). Click on Finish. I just tried this on my PC now, and it works.

Please revert back here if you face any issues. Hope this helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    • Marked as answer by MBalmas Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MBalmas Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by MBalmas Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:25 PM

All replies

• This should work.

Go to Task Scheduler, on the right click on "Create Basic Task...". Give the task a name and click next. Select a trigger (Daily in the case you mentioned here) and click next. Set the time and recurrence period and click next. In the Action, select "Start a program" and click next. In the Program/script text box browse for your Excel file and click next (leave the other text boxes empty). Click on Finish. I just tried this on my PC now, and it works.

Please revert back here if you face any issues. Hope this helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    • Marked as answer by MBalmas Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MBalmas Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by MBalmas Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Thanks. It appears to have worked. It is the same process I followed the first time and it did not work then. Hopefully there was just something I did not do correctly the first time.

Thanks again

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:50 AM
  • I have just installed office 2013 on windows 7 and the task scheduler won't open an excel doc.  I've followed the instructions above, but no luck.

What could be preventing this from working.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:19 AM
  • Create script.bat file somewhere on your PC. Insert next text inside:

"%path-to-your-Word-application" "%path-to-your-word-document"

Example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" "C:\Users\owner\Documents\worddocument.docx"

Go to Task Scheduler, and create Basic Task. In the Program/script text box browse for your script.bat file.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:56 PM