none
System Manufacturer & Model display "To Be Filled By O.E.M"

Question

• Hi all, 2 questions regarding Windows Experience Index;

1) I bought Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, but when I run the WEI assessment, I expected the System Manufacturer & Model to be inserted with actual data. Rather it shows "To BE Filled By O.E.M"? Any ideas or reasoning to this?

2) It also shows Number of Processor Cores as 2 but the following link states my CPU has 4 cores http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447.

Any info on this would be appreciated...

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:00 AM

Answers

• HI Calminator, for your second questions, If you have a relatively new processor, it is very likely to be multi-core, the most common are those from 2 to 4 cores.

To make them the most in Windows 7 (and also Windows Vista), I recommend the following steps:

◦ Go at home and in the search box type msconfig. Then open the only result that is displayed.

◦ Contact Boot or boot tab, then advanced.

◦ Checks the "Number of processors" box and in the drop-down select the number of cores that have your processor.

◦ Accepts, apply and restart your computer before the changes take effect.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Hi Calminator,

Question#1-Well, if you purchased an OEM installation DVD, than you are the OEM that should complete the information.

If it was already installed, return to the vendor that built the computer.

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Question #1:  It's getting that information from the BIOS.  Most OEMs flash the board's BIOS with their own branded version.  Since you're lacking this information it simply means that the board still contains the stock BIOS, placed there by the board's manufacturer, not the system manufacturer.  Really, it's nothing to worry about and your computer should continue to function just fine.

Question #2: Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed for your board.  

Also make sure the BIOS is set properly for the number of cores.  This is usually done automatically, but if you or someone else has been messing around in there some settings may have been changed.

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:24 PM

All replies

• HI Calminator, for your second questions, If you have a relatively new processor, it is very likely to be multi-core, the most common are those from 2 to 4 cores.

To make them the most in Windows 7 (and also Windows Vista), I recommend the following steps:

◦ Go at home and in the search box type msconfig. Then open the only result that is displayed.

◦ Contact Boot or boot tab, then advanced.

◦ Checks the "Number of processors" box and in the drop-down select the number of cores that have your processor.

◦ Accepts, apply and restart your computer before the changes take effect.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Hi Calminator,

Question#1-Well, if you purchased an OEM installation DVD, than you are the OEM that should complete the information.

If it was already installed, return to the vendor that built the computer.

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Question #1:  It's getting that information from the BIOS.  Most OEMs flash the board's BIOS with their own branded version.  Since you're lacking this information it simply means that the board still contains the stock BIOS, placed there by the board's manufacturer, not the system manufacturer.  Really, it's nothing to worry about and your computer should continue to function just fine.

Question #2: Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed for your board.  

Also make sure the BIOS is set properly for the number of cores.  This is usually done automatically, but if you or someone else has been messing around in there some settings may have been changed.

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:24 PM