none
How to enable mouse-over wheel scroll focus like with XP?

Question

• I have two screens and as a developer, I need to be able to scroll content without having to click and focus.

In XP, you could mouse over the window and your mousewheel would scroll content.

With vista, you have to actually click or otherwise bring in to focus a content box to get it to wheel scroll...even if it's an explorer instance and you're trying to scroll the folder view while the file view is focused.

I've no problem digging into the registry or patching files and I'm hoping that someone here will have the solution to this constant annoyance.

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the post. I suggest you first check the solution in the following link:

Trick to Enable X-Mouse(Windows Follow Mouse) Feature in Windows Vista

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/trick-to-enable-x-mousewindows-follow-mouse-feature-in-windows-vista/othersoftware

Based on my test, in this way, it brings the window to the foreground. If you want to make the window stay on the background, we may need to use certain third party theme application to achieve this.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, July 06, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Is this an adequate solution? It seems like a step backward was taken in UI design to disabled this feature that was already available in XP, not to mention is currently available in Mac OSX and in the default Ubuntu Linux Unity UI.

Is there an adequate solution available, or will it be fixed in an upcoming release?

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Victor - I absolutely concur - step backward. I "upgraded" to Window 7 Pro (from XP Pro) a couple months ago (no choice), and have regretted it since. Mouse-over-scrolling seems like a common sense user-interface function that would have "of course" forward to a "better" OS. Instead, I had to download a third-party application (WizMouse) to enable mouse-over scrolling (I found it after discovering many others unhappy about this). Its a small thing, but when MS ignores little annoyances like this, makes you wonder why, and what else am I going to discover eventually (such as WMV thumbnails - worked in XP, had to find a third party app), and other little things. I would have HAPPILY just paid the "upgrade" price to KEEP XP's user interface unchanged. There are some great Win 7 features, but I am so far disappointed with. XP was MS's best OS (regarding intuitive user interface, IMO). I am looking into Linux/Ubuntu with new dual boot.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:26 AM