none
winrnr.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error

Question

• I've been running Windows Vista Ultimate on a Dell XPS M1330 laptop for weeks with no problem. Suddenly I start getting this pop-up error:

C:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Before the error, I hadn't installed any new programs in nine days. I checked the registry and nothing had been changed. I just booted up one day like normal and got the error message.

It's not just for one program - it seems to be related to any program that requires communication with the Internet. I can get it to go away if I hit OK for a while, but it always comes back. Any suggestions?

Saturday, November 03, 2007 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi lweavernc,

Thank you for the post.

I suggest trying the following suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

Suggestion 1 Clean Boot

======================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Suggestion 2 System File Checker

======================

1. If we have Windows Vista installation DVD disc, Please put it in the DVD/CD-ROM, if not, Please perform step 3 directly.

2. Click "Exit" if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

What’s the result?

Suggestion 3 Create a New User Account

======================

1. Click Start Menu, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage Use Accounts.

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

Does the issue also occur in the new account?

If the issue persists, please let me know running what programs will cause this error to occur and send me the following information for further research:

Screenshot

=============

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

System Information

=============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Event Logs

=============

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click save.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. There will be two saved log files on the Desktop

Please send above files to WCVDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2360946&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Note: We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi lweavernc,

Thank you for the post.

I suggest trying the following suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

Suggestion 1 Clean Boot

======================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Suggestion 2 System File Checker

======================

1. If we have Windows Vista installation DVD disc, Please put it in the DVD/CD-ROM, if not, Please perform step 3 directly.

2. Click "Exit" if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

What’s the result?

Suggestion 3 Create a New User Account

======================

1. Click Start Menu, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage Use Accounts.

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

Does the issue also occur in the new account?

If the issue persists, please let me know running what programs will cause this error to occur and send me the following information for further research:

Screenshot

=============

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

System Information

=============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Event Logs

=============

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click save.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. There will be two saved log files on the Desktop

Please send above files to WCVDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2360946&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Note: We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  

Hi lweavernc,  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

I'm facing the same problem as the above. I even tried doing all you said, but for no help. I'm running XP Home Premium Edition. In my case, the problem started by an improper shutdown my machine went through. Now I'm unable to run Microsoft office(It tries to install it again!), Norton Internet Security and many other applications. Also, mozilla firefox is unable to run internet now.

I tried starting the system with only the microsoft services, but the problem was still there. Also, it remains as it is when I create a new User with Admin rights.

When i ran the Scannow utility, it gave the message that there were problems and it couldn't resolve all of them.

I'm sending the files to the address given, so that you can analyze the data. Please help !! I'm helpless without MS Office !

Thanks,

Piyush Soni

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:28 AM
  •  

I tried sending the files to the email address given above, but the mail was returned back. What should I do ?
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:40 AM
  •  

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for the post.

I understand that you have tried all the suggestions in my initial post but the issue persists.

As this issue began after an improper shut down, I suggest restoring the system before that time. System Restore can be accessed from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools.

Please also test the issue in Safe Mode and let me know the result.

You can also run System File Checker in Safe Mode again to test the issue.

If the issue persists, please send me the files I requested in my initial post to WCVDATA@microsoft.com. You can compress them before sending. If it fails again, please try to use another email account to send the files.

Thank you for your effort and cooperation.

I am standing by for your reply

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:52 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thanks for quick response. I had already tried restoring my system to a previous state, but it could not do that. There is some problem in the file system I suppose.

(Also, please read Windows 'Vista Home Premium' instead of XP Home Premium I mistakingly wrote)

I have also tried sending the error files by Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail, it is giving the same error with all saying "User Unknown". Are you sure the email address is correct ?

I tried sending the files separately as well as in a zip format - The extensions of the files contained in the zip file are : .evtx and .nfo

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:20 PM
  •  

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for the reply.

There may be some issues between your account and our email server.

Now I have created a FTP site and you can upload the files to me from the following the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=6612bae3-e26f-4406-b3fb-bae90fff7f22

Password: 0_J^fo-bWTz9q7

Thanks for your patience and effort.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:52 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks, I have uploaded the error log files. I hope they'll be of some help.

Regards,

Piyush Soni

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:15 PM
  •  

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for sending me the files.

From the files, I noticed that many third-party programs are still running at startup.

Based on the current situation, I suggest testing the issue in Safe Mode.

If the error does not appear in Safe Mode, please try a Clean Boot again.

What’s the result in the Clean Boot state?

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:10 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I'm sorry, I think last time I had only disabled all start up services and not startup programs, but now i tried disabling everything you mentioned from the startup - including the services and startup programs but the problem is still there.

To be doubly sure, I also tried starting my system in safe mode - but to my relief and distress both, the problem is as it is. (Relief because it means my start up programs are not bad). The Microsoft office applications like word outlook etc. were still not working in the safe mode and numerous applications were giving the same error message- Bad Image, winrnr.dll is not registered and blah blah...

Even the files I'm saving by downloading from my e-mail boxes are not getting saved!

What do I do?

Thanks,

Piyush

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for the response.

As the issue also occurs in Safe Mode, we can infer the issue is probably caused by corrupt system files.

Now I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1.    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories.

2.    Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

3.    Type “Regsvr32 winrnr.dll” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

If the issue persists, let’s perform an In-place Upgrade to repair the system.

In-place Upgrade

================

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

What’s the result now?

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 03, 2007 6:04 AM
  • I have the same problem. I cant open firefox and some other programs. The following is message is given when i try to open them: "c:\program files\mozilla firefox\xui.dll is either not described to run on windows or it contains an error." I tried your suggestion 2 system file checker and i got the following result in the command prompt:

C:\windows\system32\SFC /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beggining verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 99% complete.  windows resource protection found corrupt files but
    was unable to fix some them.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I dont know if you are still dealing with this issue but i would really be greatful if you could give me some feedback on my problems.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Alex

Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:08 AM
  • i have tried what u said Tim an still having issues.  Am trying to send you info requested.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:35 PM