none
Vista can't find its hardware drivers, Most usb devices won't install

Question

• Hi all, until last night everything was ok. After I'd cleaned the computer and plugged everything back in windows decides it can't find drivers for any of my usb devices (keyboard, mouse, camera, gamepad, joystick).

When it finds them it says new hardware found. with 3 choices:
    Locate and install driver
    Ask me again later
    Don't show this message again

So I click the first option, and it searches for drivers but...'Could not find driver software'. I then click 'Check online for a solution' with no luck.

These devices are so basic that the manufacturers don't supply drivers for the products; they should all be with the OS.

What can I do guys? I'm a keen photographer and not being able to upload my photos via the camera or card reader is a real issue for me.

By the way the above process happens for all the usb hardware I have except the printer, usb flash drive, mouse and keyboard (luckily!)
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 6:41 PM

All replies

• Unbelievable....I have the same sort of issue with my Vista Ultimate machine. New fresh install, but 99% of my USB devices will not work with the excuse of "Can’t find Drivers" Vista is meant to be a step forward from XP..All my USB devices work under XP!!!

I have read on other froums about copying driver files (usbstor.sys) from an XP machine and pointing the device at that but don’t see why I should need to go to this extent just to get my external HD working under Vista when it was and still is fine under XP.

If anyone has manager to work this out, please let me know.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:27 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I also have a similar problem.  All USB devices worked fine on the first install of Vista.

For one time, I removed the USB device and started up Vista.  That is when the problem started occuring for me.

On the next restart, when I connected the USB devices, it would not identify them as already installed.  Any new USB devices that I connect, it can not install anything at all.

Already installed USB devices are not identified and also the new ones ... it is really testing my patience.  I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed!

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:56 AM
  • When the search for driver page pop up, just point it to the \Windows\System32 folder for driver. It should be able to find the driver there. The same problem happened to me and that is how it finds all the drivers. All drivers for common USB devices should be there.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:06 PM
  • You would think that pointing it to C:\windows\system32...would work but know. It appears that you can take the usbstor.sys from Xp and get it in to Vista to solve this issue but I have not been that far yet. i will give it a go later this week and let you know how it goes....

Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:46 AM
  • Did it work ?

Sunday, August 05, 2007 3:44 PM
  • I wish.....Have tryed everything I can think of but no luck. Will keep working on it and let you know if I have any luck. Someone else has done an upgrade from XP to Vista and has no issues. I will have a look at the files on his machine

Monday, August 06, 2007 6:47 AM
  •  

I have the same issues... things like my MS mouse that never needed a driver in the first place all of a sudden Vista will say found new hard ware... search windows update then let you point it to Windows/System32 etc. and still not driver found.

Other things like my Logitech quick cam are doing the same thing even from a clean install no upgrade... it will work find for weeks and then new hardware is found but installed drivers are not.

I've been searching high and far for others with this problem but so what this is the most in one area. 

Thank gawd I can boot into Ubuntu for all my critical work.

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:47 AM
  • So did anyone find a fix for this?  I always have to point the installer to c:\windows each time I insert a usb device!!!

And to think I paid for this ***.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:45 AM
  • I'm having this exact same problem as well.  Tried pointing to the Windows/System folder, also tried pointing to the usbstor.inf file, and neither helped the stupid program find the driver for my iPod.  Also cannot install my camera, and had to take the laptop and the printer to the Tiger store tech guys just to be able to install and use the printer.  Don't want to have to do that every time I try to plug and play!!!!   I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't noticed and fixed this issue with Vista yet.  Hope to find an answer on this site or elsewhere soon.  Will share here if I do. 

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:48 PM
  • Ok, I hit F8 when booting up my laptop and it seemed to reset the computer and Vista to all of its original settings.  It deleted some recently installed programs and software updates, BUT this time, the new hardware wizard did find the drivers for my iPod after I chose the Browse My Computer for Software and pointed it to the Windows folder (including subdirectories).  I hope this helps some other folks.  I am off to merrily mess with my iPod which is syncing as I type. Yay!!!

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:05 AM
  • I've the same problem as it concerns USB PRINTERS. I've contacted HP and they gave me a non working solution (installing on LPT1 and then swap to DOT4 port - only that there is no DOT4 port to choose from).

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:14 AM
  • I am having the same problem with my lexmark 3470. Under the device manager it shows up as the printer name and as unknown device, so I have tried to no avail to install the usbprint.inf and yet that will not work either, it shows up as not the right driver and will not install it.

As your issue with HP, what the tech support are doing is having you install it backwards so that if you restart your computer it should find you have a usb printer and install the drivers accordingly. I would need your specific error to help you further with that issue. But usually it should go in as LPT1, and then switch it to usb00x depending on the usb port you connected to. However, if you do not have usbprint in the device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you have to update the driver and make it into usbprint which is found on your system by just finding it. I make a copy place it where I can easily access it and point it to load that driver. However, in my case it says it is not compatible for my system. Yet it is the 64 bit included inf. ?!?! Anyways, if you can give me what it is showing up as in your Device manager, I should be able to help you with your HP problem I worked for them for quite some time. I am taking it that you did not talk to the Canadian or American support team as they know perfectly well Dot4 will not work for your issue.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:56 AM
  • Thank you for the interest. Browsing the forums I've seen that there has to be hundrends of posts written by persons with the same problem (always Vista Home Premium).

HP (US staff) just gave up on my case (they even sent me the "evaluation report"). A close friend of mine had the same problem but he downloaded Vista Ultimate (illegal copy), installed it and now he finally can print. So it's officialy a Microsoft Home Premium problem.

That usb*.inf thing is a good idea. I've stopped typing and I've tried to "INSTALL A NEW PORT" since there are no USB or DOT4 ports on the printer dialog and I've used: usbport.inf, usbprint.inf, dot4port.inf, dot4print.inf but none of those worked. Some of them just returned me back to the PORT DIALOG without installing a thing an the rest of them asked for adobepdf.dll (bleep. does not compute! beetee beetee) even if I was trying to install a LOCAL PORT and not a pdf one.

The strange is that in the DEVICE MANAGER the printer shows up under IEEE 1284.4 device with a printer icon, full name of the printer and DOT4USB in parenthessis!

An old frienf of mine has a saying: "if it doesn't work from the very begining then it wont work". There has been 20 years since he first told me that. I think that now I am a believer!

I wonder, nowdays who (other than Microsoft) would try to build an OS that doesn't recognise USB devices! The very same printer works on the fly with UBUNTU and OSX.

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:01 PM
  • After a lot of consideration and remebering my training at HP I applied it to my own issues with Lexmark. First of all I removed everything to do with the printer.  You will need to contact HP and ask for the PID # of your printer to remove it from the Registry. Please before doing anything with your registry BACK IT UP!

Run-> regedit->Hkey_local_machine->Software-> Currentcontrolsetxxx (all of them to look for pid)->Enum->USB->and locate the PID number for your unit if there is one, remeber you have to look in all the current control sets to remove multiple instances.

Close the registry, uninstall all HP software and unplug the printer, then restart your computer.

Run the HP disk-> plug in unit when it asks. One of two things will happen, A either you will have a successful install or B it will all be found in your Device manager with bangs in it. (!)

In the regisitry if it hangs chances are you have the same issue I did, Vista did not install the proper usb functions for your computer.

This is what I did from here. I first took all the drivers from the disk for vista, or the vista download from the site and placed it all in a folder on C: drive as such C:/drivers/Lexmark34XX

Then I right clicked on the, for me 6 seperate instances of issues associated with the printer one by one and updated the driver and pointed it to C: only. From here it picked up USBprint.inf and 2 UMBUS Enumerators(which kept it from installing) and then the actual install began from the install program trying to find the Lexmark disk.

Chances are, is you too have issues with actual usb drivers not being installed on your computer, making it impossible to load usb dependant devices. Now I have my 1gb memorex stick working and it now accepts my camera card. I would say it is a vista issue for sure.

I am sure by now you know how to get into the device manager to see what is not installed correctly. if not right click on my computer and click on properties, from there on the left hand side you will see device manager. If you have more than just printer bangs (denoted by - in your device manager) just right click, update driver and point it to C: it will go through your c drive and find what it needs as it is all there in your system32 file, but does not always pick it up if you direct it to that find spot. C worked fine for me and after a while of headaches I can now print, scan and fax, in addition to saving things to my usb stick and looking at pictures on my card from my camera.

Again any issues just let me know, if you have specific bangs like your printer showing up as a number there is a seperate issue for that. Printer name usually means USBsupport.inf is not installing.

Take care and hope that helps

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:59 PM
  • OK guys the solution is here with the compliments of H.P. They didn't give me up after all!!!

I would like to thank HP technicians for helping me, for their time of
    course and for doing what Microsoft can't do (speaking of that: having the
    "worked in Microsoft" entry in your CV shouldn't say much).

I'm copying / pasting the solution:

We suggest you to steps below to resolve this issue:

1) Please right click on 'My Computer' icon and click on Properties.

2) Click 'Device Manager' button under the 'Hardware' tab.

3) Please right click on the LaserJet 1320 DOT4 entry under IEEE 1284.4 and
    click Update Driver.

4) In the Update Driver Wizard, Please select the 'Install from a List or
    Specific Location' and proceed.

Note: If you get the Windows Update window, please select 'No not at this
    time and click next.

5) In the next window, select 'Don't Search I will Choose the Driver to
    Install' option and click next.

6) Select 'USB Printing Support and proceed to complete the Wizard.

Note: If you get a Found New Hardware wizard after completing this wizard,
    please cancel it.

7) Click Start - Printers & faxes.

8) Right click on the Printer icon and select Properties - Ports.

9) Select the USB_001 and click Apply button.

10) Select the General tab in the Properties window and click Print Test
    Page to print a test page to verify that the issue has been resolved to your
    satisfaction.

And it words fine!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:11 PM
  • I recently started experiencing this problem.
    For a while my usb ports worked fine, with a usb hd, mouse, keyboard, and bluetooth dongle hooked in.
    I accidentally unplugged the ubs drive and after plugging it back it would not be recognized at all. After rebooting, my mouse and keyboard as well as the dongle weren't recognized either. I've tried deleting the inf file, reinstalling the drivers. nothing works.
    In Safe Mode however, all the usb ports and devices work fine.
    advice?

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:15 AM
  • thanks i coundn't believe how stupid vista and myself are sometimes. 

Friday, October 19, 2007 11:34 PM
  • When ask to look on your computer: feed in: Windows\System32\Driverstore\Repository - you may have to do this several times (Until the yellow caution sign in the Devise Manager goes off - right click properies and then re-install driver) for each different mfg. flash drive stick. I was going crazy but this worked for me now all my flash drives work (if that doesn't work they tell me you can try Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers - this did't work for me - Vista Home Premium)

I hope this works for you.

Terry

Monday, October 22, 2007 1:30 AM
  • So on a positive note, this post helped me solve a similar but different problem...thanks! 

I have an old printer that I had to buy a LPT1-USB printer adapter for and I got found new hardware EVERY time I booted, even after installing it and after using it with no problems. 

I right-clicked on the printer in device manager and clicked update software drivers and followed the prompts to pick a driver from the list of mfr's and devices.  The way this wizard works, it came up with a warning that it could not verify that the driver I was asking it to install was the right one.  I proceeded anyway and it updated and voila...no more found new hardware wizard every time I boot.

Thanks again for your post!

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Im having this exact problem. Everything was working fine. And all of a sudden I'd plug in my iPod touch and it Vista would give me three choices:

Ask me again later

Id obviously choose the first one, to no avail.

The same is happening with my keyboard and mouse.

Additionally i just bought a digital camera and installed the driver. However, when i plug my camera into the computer, the same three options pop up. Its soooo annoying. Anyone with any ideas as to how i can fix this? Im really clueless with computers so please take it easy with the jargon!. Cheers.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:06 PM
  •  

So i think ive found a tentative solution to this highly annoying problem.

When windows prompts you with the three options, click cancel.

Click on the start menu and right click on computer, and choose properties.

Go into the device manager. If there is an exclamation mark next to the hardware you have connected, right click and go to update the driver. Choose to update from a location on your computer...which is C:/Windows/System32. This should work. Reboot after successful installation. Worked with my digi cam and ipod.

Cheers

Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:47 PM
  • I am having this problem too with Vista Ultimate. If I move a USB device to a new port, or if I attempt to install a new USB device or if I remove a USB device in Device Manager and then try to reinstall it, Vista Ultimate correctly identifies the USB Hardware, but it can't find the drivers, EVER!! It used to work fine.

The temp fix, and for me this works EVERY time, was already posted here. When you plug in the USB device and Vista gives you those three options, Search, blah blah blah (I can't remember), just cancel it.

Then, go into Device Manager, and look for the device(s) that have a yellow symbol or are unknown. Right click on one of them, and select "Update Driver Software". Do NOT select the default "Searh Automatically" because that won't work. Instead select "Browse my computer for driver software" In the box below where is says "search for driver software in this location" type in C:\windows\system32 and make sure the check box next to "include subfolders" is checked. Then click on next. 

This works for me every time - if it doesn't work for you, try using just C:\ in the search box with the "include subfolders" box checked. This will be slower, but Vista will search your entire C drive for the driver.

I have found that once you install the driver for a device, that Vista often finds another part of that same hardware that also needs a driver. So, repeat the above. If you mess up and allow Vista to look for the driver, just wait until it fails to find it, then cancel when it asks you what you want to do, then follow the directions above. 

If you don't know how to get into device manager, there are several ways. Two simple ways are

1. Go into control panel and find it, they are listed alphabetically (view classic mode) or

2. Even simpler,  click on start, then type in Device Manger, in the box right below the "All Programs" option. Then look up above and you see a link.

With all of this said, This is a VERY poor solution. Microsoft needs to read this and come up with real solutions.

A couple more notes that might help someone..

I have found that if I unplugg a USB device and plug it into a different port, I have this problem, but if I plug it back into the port that used to work, then it's ok. This is a good thing, because I just installed a new keyboard and mouse. Try going into device manager and pointing to a new folder without a mouse or keyboard!!! ARGH. I tried using a PS2 mouse (without rebooting) and that didn't work. (It may have with a reboot). But when I plugged in my old USB optical mouse that had been working only minutes ago, into the same port where it had been before, then it worked. thank goodness.

Well, best of luck to all of you having this problem. The following are just some key words that may help someone find this thread.

System32 Vista Ultimate lost can't find drivers USB not working install re-install new hardware mouse printer monitor keyboard paulcalif mcduell

Monday, November 26, 2007 1:54 AM
  •  

Go here

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1254561&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=5 

Read the post by Troy - This pretty much covers all of the suggestions in the thread. Adding to the path in the registry fixed mine

Now why didn't Microsoft come up with that?

Hope this helps!!!

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:02 AM
  • try this one:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardware-devices/77722-usb-drivers-question.html

it solved my similiar problem like yours
    Saturday, December 08, 2007 12:53 PM
  • Hello everyone...

I've installed Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and I had the SAME problem with 99% of my USB drvices (External HDD, Camera, ...etc.) and I found a way to solve this issue (even though it's kind of hard way).

I tried pointing the wizard to "C:\windows", but it didn't work with all devices.

The ONLY way that windows identify your devices, is to be already connected while installing windows.

I tried this way (connect all your usb devices, and re-installed windows after formatting), and it works 100%.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 7:03 PM
  • WELLLL, i have gotten all of my USB devices to work when updating Windows via Windows updater, BUT everytime i do, it wont let me install ANYTHING that i have downloaded off the internet, i built my own computer, and had XP on it for a few months, everything worked fine, but VISTA just isnt working for me. my brothers works fine, mine, not so much.

Anyone found anything else to help us? i really REALLY dont want to go to the geek squad.

Friday, December 28, 2007 11:24 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I think I might have a fix for you, but don't quote me as I was not able to reproduce your problem.

I've had this problem with all my microsoft USB mice.

Here goes:

1. Plug your device in

2. Go into Device Manager

3. Right-Click on the device needing your attention (with the yellow warning sign)

4. Click Update Driver

5. Select the first option (to provide a path for the process to search a certain directory)

6. Then browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and select the directory that starts with usbstor.inf_XXXXX

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Marten

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:49 PM
  • I've got the same problem with my Canon EOS 20D. Vista can't find the camera and won't install the software from the CD. I downloaded everything Canon had for drivers and utility updates from the Canon site that said it was for Vista, but the computer won't see the camera. If I can't resolve this in another 48 hours, the computer goes back to the store for a refund.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Thank you Terry, your comments helped me a lot. - And it proves once more that MS sells us crappy products.

TChrist828 wrote:

When ask to look on your computer: feed in: Windows\System32\Driverstore\Repository - you may have to do this several times (Until the yellow caution sign in the Devise Manager goes off - right click properies and then re-install driver) for each different mfg. flash drive stick. I was going crazy but this worked for me now all my flash drives work (if that doesn't work they tell me you can try Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers - this did't work for me - Vista Home Premium)

I hope this works for you.

Terry

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:46 AM
  • @Oxigono.gr, who posted a solution from HP here, at Sep. 25th, 2007:

THANKS A LOT!

After 20 hours trying to make my Laserjet 1300 work via USB, your suggestion did the trick!

awehring

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:18 PM
  •  kamiltyebally wrote:

So i think ive found a tentative solution to this highly annoying problem.

When windows prompts you with the three options, click cancel.

Go into the device manager. If there is an exclamation mark next to the hardware you have connected, right click and go to update the driver. Choose to update from a location on your computer...which is C:/Windows/System32. This should work. Reboot after successful installation. Worked with my digi cam and ipod.

Cheers

I took your advise in this post and successfully located the proper driver for my mp3 player....Thanks!!
    Friday, March 21, 2008 11:53 PM
  • I've had a similar problem with Vista 64 bit. I've had an external hard drive that's been working fine. I decided to add a scanner and that's when the poroblem started. The device installed OK but when I went to use it Vista couldn't "communicate" with it. I removed the scanner and the hard drive and then plugged in only the scanner. It worked fine. Then I added the external drive which installed OK but then the scanner "Couldn't be found" again. I tried the same thing with a thumb drive-alone it works fine but not with anything else USB plugged in. This is not  a driver issue, it is a Windows Vista problem. It appears Vista can only handle one device at at time.

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:36 PM
  • Dear oxigono.gr,

Thanks very much for posting your solution, and
    many thanks also to the HP people who found it. This solution worked perfectly for me. I was having trouble getting my HP LaserJet 1320 to work with my new Vista Home Premium Edition, and couldn't find a straightforward answer. At one point I thought Vista wasn't even detecting it.
    Friday, July 04, 2008 12:10 AM
  •  

jhhhhhhhhhhhh

Friday, December 05, 2008 9:48 PM
  • enimal

Friday, December 05, 2008 9:50 PM
  • HP 1320 Driver Printer to work with my new Vista Home Premium Edition Software

Monday, May 31, 2010 8:12 PM
  • This worked for me...(It is the summation of several different posts below)

When windows prompts you with the three options,

Ask me again later

click cancel.

Go into the device manager. If there is an exclamation mark next to the hardware you have connected, right click and go to update the driver. Choose to update from a location on your computer...which is C:/Windows/System32   you may have to do this several times (Until the yellow caution sign in the Devise Manager goes off)

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:30 AM