none
Windows 7 - clear cached credentials?

Question

• As administrator of a workgroup of two dozen win 7 pro machines I access some network share during system installation/configuration/setup, e.g. \\system\folder, authenticating on that server, which works fine.

When new person starts using machine, that network share \\system\folder does not ask for authentication - I suppose because it has cached credentials.

I would like for that network share (and all network shares) ask for authentication.

I've tried asking this another way and gotten several partial answers, so I'm trying again, hopefully in clearer way!

None of this has worked to attempt to clear credentials.

• Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Disconnect Network Drive (it doesn't work because there is no mapped network drive to disconnect).
    • From command prompt (run as administrator): rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr -- Then select any network share to clear credentials for, then click delete button. (no network shares listed).
    • From command prompt (run as administrator): net use * /delete /yes
    • From command prompt (run as administrator): control userpasswords2 - Go to advanced tab; click on manage passwords. This brings up the credential manager (can also get to credential manager directly from control panel). Find credentials to delete (windows, certificate-based, or generic) - there are currently none listed, though there had been earlier, and all were deleted.
    • From command prompt (run as administrator): secpol.msc - security settings -> local policies -> security options -> Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication. Enable it. Exit and reboot.
    • in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon set CachedLogonsCount to 0.
    • in gpedit.msc - enabled Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

Someone recommended that I find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList in regedit, then clear it, and clear all local user profiles. This one I am hesitant about - clear the reg entries? clear the actual profiles on disk? I think that that would be overkill.

Should I perhaps be doing something on the other end, on the server \\server?

LuYang

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• You can remove the authenticated credentials from

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

click the username 

1. To the left you will see Manage your credentials.  From that select the share name and remove

Once the above is done, delete using net use
    2. Start > Run > cmd > net use * /DELETE

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

If a post solved your problem, click “Mark as Answer” on the post.
    If a post helped you, click "Vote As Helpful" on the left side of post.

• Proposed as answer by Ashok JP Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:11 PM
    • Edited by Ashok JP Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by LuYangX Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:09 PM

All replies

• You can remove the authenticated credentials from

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

click the username 

1. To the left you will see Manage your credentials.  From that select the share name and remove

Once the above is done, delete using net use
    2. Start > Run > cmd > net use * /DELETE

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

• Proposed as answer by Ashok JP Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Dear Ashok J Prakash

As far as I can tell, you are proposing that I use the credential manager for any particular user, then NET USE * /DELETE.

I have tried both of those, if you will see in the above list, though it may not be obvious in the case of the first one about credential manager. See, here it was in my previous list: From command prompt (run as administrator): control userpasswords2 - Go to advanced tab; click on manage passwords. This brings up the credential manager (can also get to credential manager directly from control panel). Find credentials to delete (windows, certificate-based, or generic) - there are currently none listed, though there had been earlier, and all were deleted.

The new thing that you have added is doing the NET USE command after clearing credentials in the credential manager.

I will try combining these, in that order. I'll report back in a bit. Thank you!

LuYang

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Dear LuYang,

I understand that these were steps you already tried. Infact I did go through your posts twice before posting this reply.

One of the users in another forum had a similar issue issue that he cached wrong credentials. Infact he too tried most of these steps, but when he removed the credentials from the control panel and then when he used net use delete command, he was able to reenter the correct Logins.

Hope the above steps resolve your concern.

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

• Unmarked as answer by LuYangX Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Any update ? Did this work for you ?

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

• Edited by Ashok JP Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Dear Ashok J Prakash - I believe that this is working. Thank you so very much!

-- LuYang
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Glad to know that it worked for you :)

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash | My Blog

• Edited by Ashok JP Friday, March 16, 2012 6:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:12 PM