none
Windows 7 logon screen: How can we logon to "Local Computer" OR "Domain"

Question

•  

Hi there, thanks for reading this.

On a Windows XP logon screen our users are prompted with an “Options” button that displays a drop-down list where they can choose to logon to the Domain or Local PC.

Our Windows 7 users do not have this option and have to use COMPUTERNAME\username.

Q1) Is there any way to give our Windows 7 users the choice of logging on to either the Local Computer or a Domain?

Q2) Our Windows 7 PC’s do appear to be logging into to the domain correctly (which is called “internal”) using JOHNSPC\john.  However, I always thought that to logon to a domain you enter \domainname\username and not COMPUTERNAME\username (e.g. I thought it should be INTERNAL\john).

We have added each computer to the domain via Server 2008 "Active Directory users and Computers" and then added each computer to the domian via the Win PC.  Like I say, this does seem like it's working.  I can see that users are getting IP addresses in DHCP and they can access the server but it just seems to me that entering COMPUTERNAME\username should log them into the local computer rather than the domain (which is why I thought it should be DOMAINNAME\username).

Hope someone can educate me a bit - Thanks in advance

Monday, November 22, 2010 11:36 AM

Answers

• To answer your questions:

Q1) Is there any way to give our Windows 7 users the choice of logging on to either the Local Computer or a Domain?

No way. This is by design.

Q2) Our Windows 7 PC’s do appear to be logging into to the domain correctly (which is called “internal”) using JOHNSPC\john.  However, I always thought that to logon to a domain you enter \domainname\username and not COMPUTERNAME\username (e.g. I thought it should be INTERNAL\john).

The computer is already joined in domain. However you can still log on with both local and domain accounts. Logging on with local account on a domain client computer does not mean that the local account is domain member. You will find that domain policies are not updated when you log on with local accounts. Also the local accounts does not have the same credential with the domain accounts.

Anyway, logon with  DOMAINNAME\username and logon with COMPUTERNAME\username are actually different.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• To answer your questions:

Q1) Is there any way to give our Windows 7 users the choice of logging on to either the Local Computer or a Domain?

No way. This is by design.

Q2) Our Windows 7 PC’s do appear to be logging into to the domain correctly (which is called “internal”) using JOHNSPC\john.  However, I always thought that to logon to a domain you enter \domainname\username and not COMPUTERNAME\username (e.g. I thought it should be INTERNAL\john).

The computer is already joined in domain. However you can still log on with both local and domain accounts. Logging on with local account on a domain client computer does not mean that the local account is domain member. You will find that domain policies are not updated when you log on with local accounts. Also the local accounts does not have the same credential with the domain accounts.

Anyway, logon with  DOMAINNAME\username and logon with COMPUTERNAME\username are actually different.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:35 AM
  • You can use .\username to logon locally if you don't know the computername but know a local user account.  You need to use domainname\username or username@domainnameUNP to logon to the domain...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Thanks for the help. Worked great!!!!
    Monday, December 20, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Exactly the answer I needed!  Thanks.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:50 PM