none
Problem upgrading Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit) to Vista Ultimate(32-bit) from MSDN

Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit, when I try to upgrade to 32-bit windows 7 Ultimate (debug vrsn) I get the following message, "you cannot upgrade from a non-staged build to a staged build windows". I have searched and found other users running into the problem where you cannot upgrade from a staged build to a non-staged build, not visa versa.  I have downloaded windows 7 upgrade advisor and am not receiving anything that would prevent windows 7 from installing. I have no idea how this can be solved, any help would be appreciated greatly.  I can not afford to purchase this program and cannot get a different version at this point in time.  Is there a way to fix this version so I can use it for school.  Thank you!
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:40 PM

All replies

• The Windows 7 Debug/Checked Build version can only be installed as a "clean install".  It cannot be used to upgrade from another Windows operating system.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I tried to do it as a clean install but it seems like it got stuck on the installation process and didn't move in progress after sitting there for over 1 hr.  I get through the 2nd section but on the 3 it seems like it just gets stuck.  If this is just the installation process and it take FOREVEr that is fine if I know.

Thanks for helping!

Erica Struggling student and single mom of 3
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:15 PM