none
Windows 7 64-bit installation

Question

• So, I recently obtained a motherboard that is compatible with 64-bit OS's. (Actually, my older one was compatible as well, but it is an older board, so I was waiting for my upgrade.)
    My current (and new) Mobo is a nVidia nForce XFX 680i LT SLI motherboard, and I made sure that it was confirmed to be 64-bit capable, by using CPU-Z and the Windows Experience Index report, as will as some Internet investigation.
    Also, my CPU is compatible too, so I know that my machine can run it.
    So, every time that I put my installation disk in, and try to boot from the disk (I.E: Restart the computer, hit Esc while the computer is posting, and then select to boot from the CD Rom), and unlike it should be doing, it doesn't boot from the disk, and brings me up to the window that asks if I want to go to Repair my problem with Windows, or start Windows normally.
    I was already aware that I would have to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, and already have all of my files backed up, and have my computer prepped.
    I've checked to make sure that all the needed files are on the disk, and everything checks out.
    The rest of my computers specs are as follows (if this helps at all):
    Mobo- XFX nForce 680i LT SLI MotherboardCPU-Intel Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz.
    RAM: Crucial, 2x 2 Gb Dual Channel
    Hard Drive: Serial ATA, 80 gig? (or 70)
    Video: XFX nVidia GeForce 9800 GT XXX edition
    Power Supply: Ultra 400-450? watts.
    (I'm unaware if my post is going to be in the right forum, I'm not getting ready for Windows 7, I'm just installing the 64-bit version instead.)
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 4:13 AM

All replies

• Did you ensure that the first bootable device is set as CD/DVD rom drive and is the jumper of the CD/DVD rom drive set accordingly?  Once you restart the comps and see something like "hit any key" just do as it's say
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Ok, I have done that.
    I believe that the problem is, is that it is not a bootable disk.
    I believe that there should be atleast an auto.exe file, in order for it to be a bootable disk.
    Though, I have explored both of my Windows 7 install disks, 32 and 64-bit, and noticed that all the needed files are there, though the 64-bit had one extra, which was a bootmgr EFI file, which my 32-bit did not have.
    I've done everything I believe I could do so far, but am unsure why this still isn't working.
    I'm going to attempt once more to see if it'll boot from the disk.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Ok, I have done that.
    I believe that the problem is, is that it is not a bootable disk.
    I believe that there should be atleast an auto.exe file, in order for it to be a bootable disk.
    Though, I have explored both of my Windows 7 install disks, 32 and 64-bit, and noticed that all the needed files are there, though the 64-bit had one extra, which was a bootmgr EFI file, which my 32-bit did not have.
    I've done everything I believe I could do so far, but am unsure why this still isn't working.
    I'm going to attempt once more to see if it'll boot from the disk.

A bootable disk is identical to the naked eye as one that would not be. It contains bootsector information which does not appear as a visible file when you browse the contents of the disk .
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 9:16 PM