none
Can't print, spooler is not running

Question

• When I try to add printer I get "Windows cant open add printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I have tried everything I used the "Microsoft.fixit.printing.run" fixit tool and it did nothing. What I dont get is that everything was working fine then it just stopped. 
    Friday, February 17, 2012 12:50 PM

Answers

•  

Please try to start the print spooler service manually and check if this fixes the problem:

1. Click Start.

2. Type services.msc in the start search box and press enter.

3. Right click on print spooler and click on properties.

4. Check if the startup type is automatic. If it is not then change it to automatic.

5. Check if the service status is stopped.

6. If yes then click on the start button.

7. Try to add a printer and print a test page.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Add-or-remove-a-printer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Find-and-install-printer-drivers

how about the issue now?

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:41 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy the below lines and one blank line underneath and right click in the command prompt window and choose Paste). This will start the dependent services in the correct order. Then turn it on once started.
    sc start dcomlaunch 
    sc start RpcSs 
    sc config HTTP start= auto 
    sc start HTTP 
    sc config spooler start= auto 
    sc start spooler

--
    --
    "miamimikeg" wrote in message news:cfef494a-ef70-4546-87ce-f732d5337881...
    > When I try to add printer I get "Windows cant open add printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I have tried everything I used the "Microsoft.fixit.printing.run" fixit tool and it did nothing. What I dont get is that everything was working fine then it just stopped.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:41 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:03 AM

All replies