none
Speedtouch 330 Modem on windows 7

Question

• Hi there,

I have a problem using a speedtouch 330 modem on windows 7 x64, the problem goes like this...
    I've downloaded the lastest version of the driver from thomson website, driver that works very nice on vista business x64, I manage to instal the driver on windows 7 with compatibility mode, but when I have to enter my usename and password the wizard collapses. I create the connection manually and I connect to the internet, I can activate my windows copy, browse the net, everything's ok until here.
    After I restart the computer several times before displaying the desktop I get a blue screen, IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, i don't have the exact erorr code right now. I supose that there is a hardware conflict with the USB wireless receiver from my Logitech Wave keyboard.

My pc specs are

Intel E8400, Oc-ed at 4.05Ghz (450x9)
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R
    4Gb DDR2 at 900 Mhz (Mushkin, 5-5-5-12)
    Western Digital 320AAKS Sata drive
    and a wireless Logitech wave set

Thank you in advance for your answers
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:22 AM

Answers

• Please try to find a Windows 7 compatible driver (through Windows update) , as the driver you are using cannot work if it gives you that error.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:44 PM

All replies

• Same problem here dude, i dont think its your keyboard, its the speedtouch drivers trying to access an illegal part of memory on startup of windows, the only real cure, is to swap your modem for a wireless router and connect via ethernet. A quick fix, to get you going tho, is to go into safe mode and delete the speedtouch driver from the device manager(its in the usb device section). Then, reboot to normal windows, and reinstall the driver for a one time use, you got to repeat this process everytime im afraid, hope this helps...

• Proposed as answer by Mazuul Monday, May 25, 2009 11:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Adam M MCP Monday, May 25, 2009 2:42 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Please try to find a Windows 7 compatible driver (through Windows update) , as the driver you are using cannot work if it gives you that error.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:44 PM
  • I´ve the same problem but I make a improve solution. The problems appear in the windows startup loading when windows use modem´s drivers. So...

Install the drivers for vista and every time when you turn on your computer disconnect the modem from your pc and when windows finish the startup loading and you are in the desktop reconnect the modem. You will not have any errors and you dont have to reinstall the drivers every time you use your pc. Every time when you shut down or restart your computer remember disconnect the modem.
    Is the only way that I dont have any blue screen at the windows start up.

I hope be clear because i dont use to speak in english.
    • Proposed as answer by olalaaa Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:50 PM
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:39 AM
    could you please explain how exactly to make Windows update if he cannot connect his computer to internet ??? This is not workable, as time as we don't take the computer to a neighbor where the internet is connected through a different way. ( I don't know a lot of people that have 2 internet subscriptions in their home )... I think best way is to use the workaround with removing the usb modem until windows started entirely. I'm going to check it right now and will let you know if its successful.
    • Proposed as answer by Killerwolf Monday, September 21, 2009 10:41 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:49 PM
  • this link have a driver to windows 7 ;)http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/Vista/ST330_VistaSetup_v0.3.exe
    Monday, September 21, 2009 10:41 AM
  • The link above is not a Windows 7 release, it's for Vista. It does work but will still give you BSOD everytime you reboot. However I have the solution to this problem.

The BSOD is caused by having 4GB or more of memory. You need to use less than 4GB. You can fool Windows into thinking it's less has less by doing the following:

- Start the 'System Configuration' program
    - Go to the Boot tab and click 'Advanced options'
    - Check 'Maximum memory and set it to 4095
    - Click 'Ok'
    - Reboot.

Now you can reboot to your hearts content with the modem still plugged in. Use the driver installer in the previous post.

Of course, this is far from an ideal solution as Windows will now think you have 3GB of memory. But it's better than the BSOD.

I found this because it's a fix for another problem I was having with a Hauppage TV card. It seems that some old hardware can't handle Windows having 4GB or more of memory. I hope Microsoft can do something about it as the various hardware manufactures probably won't (they want you to buy new hardware).
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

I cant even finish the Vista driver installation. Can someone be connected on internet with the speedtouch? Any step-by-step procedure will be really welcomed!!!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Every time i start win 7 i must unpluged my 330 modem. If i dont unpluged, then i get BSOD...When Win 7 starts, then i pray lord when i plugin in modem to not get BSOD.
    Ofc in 10 time i get 5 times BSOD and its terrible....i cant belive that no1 is doing nothign about this issue. I hope that some1 will help!

catcathy...remove all your modem drivers, unpluged modem and reset comp...
    run ST330_VistaSetup_v0.3.exe and install the driver ,
     when it freez searching the device go to the device manager ,
    update the driver , search automatically for the driver , that's it !
    i hope that u get it...but you will get BSOD allmost everytime...so when u start comp, unpluged everytime modem and after win 7 starts, run some programs and then pluged modem
    if u r lucky u will not get BSOD
    This modem needs update As Soon As Possible cos Win 7 without internet is USELES

Friday, October 30, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Got the same error - random BSOD after installing drivers. Need MS patch for resolve or new drivers for modem.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 11:13 AM
  • Here is the solution for the Speedtouch 330 Modem driver on windows 7:
    http://www.guruht.com/2009/08/thomson-speedtouch-330-driver-win7.html
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:08 AM
  • i did encounter the same problem with my speedtouch 330 modem, (which used to work with my windows xp before), but failed to work when installed to windows 7 x64 computer.  a work-around solution is made by installing a virtual pc (i.e., windows xp mode installer) and install the speedtouch driver in this virtual machine.  it works!!!  in fact this is what i am using now.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:17 PM
  • I'm having a very similar problem with Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the silver speedtouch modem. I've downloaded the Win 7 drivers from quruht. com. The installation works until after plugging in the modem after adding my account name and password for my ISP. Then the error message appears that the installer has met a problem and needs to close. Whilst the green Leds are on the modem, when I try to connect to the internet I get an error message saying modem not detected. But in System / Devices my modem is listed with drivers apparently working OK. My PC has 1.5Gb memory and I only get the blue screen of death if I unplug the modem whilst Win 7 is running.

The Vista drivers do not work with Win 7. The 330 modem works fine with Win XP. I look forward to a working solution if anyone has one.
    • Proposed as answer by NJNSoldier Friday, March 12, 2010 11:28 AM
    Monday, March 08, 2010 10:40 PM
  • How about getting a router instead of the modem?
    Certainly with it, you'll get Internet :D

It's just a thought...
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:30 AM
  • create a file for vista drivers on your desktop.

disconnect your modem

completely delete all old or new modem drivers from your hard drive

reboot

install vista drivers and re-connect usb cable when prompted to then  fill in the same id and password info as used with xp 

reboot enjoy  it worked for me.

However i have since then installed windows 7 and now i am unable to find a driver for my 330 usb modem so beware   

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:12 PM