windows cannot connect to the printer.error 0x0000000d

Question

• hi when i do a point and print from a windows vista im getting an error

"windows cannot connect to the printer.operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

can some one tell me why this error comes

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I've seen this problem with a few printers now, not consistantly between any particular makes or models. However, I have found a consistant fix to connect to any network printer from vista:

Run a command prompt and type the following:

net use LPT2: \\servername\printer

This sets up a behind-the-scenes connection to the printer.

Then go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer, and choose port LPT2... It will probably ask for a printer driver, and you can just choose whatever XP driver you might have been using before. The printer is then installed without any errors, and works just fine.

From poking around, it seems when the error appears that the driver is actually installed, but something between it being installed and it actually being added to vista's list of printers breaks. Doing the above just works though.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi!
    I get the same Error message when trying to add a network Printer to Windows Vista (Business).
    Finding the printer works fine, but adding it creates the error.

The printer is a HP Deskjet 5652 connected (parallel) to a PC (Windows XP SP2) on the same network (just a switch between). No problems connecting to that PC otherwise.

I'd be gratefull for any hints on this.

regards.
    Monday, January 15, 2007 10:09 PM
  • Ok, I solved my problem.
    All I needed was a driver update for the printer on my printserver (the XP machine). Even though hp had no vista drivers ready, the newest version of the XP drivers did the job.
    The error description could be a bit more descriptive though...

feroz_ahmed, maybe this helps you too.

regards.
    Monday, January 15, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

I've seen this problem with a few printers now, not consistantly between any particular makes or models. However, I have found a consistant fix to connect to any network printer from vista:

Then go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer, and choose port LPT2... It will probably ask for a printer driver, and you can just choose whatever XP driver you might have been using before. The printer is then installed without any errors, and works just fine.

From poking around, it seems when the error appears that the driver is actually installed, but something between it being installed and it actually being added to vista's list of printers breaks. Doing the above just works though.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Thanks for the help but my spooler crashes as soon as I click add printer. I upgraded from Win XP SP2 to Vista Business a couple of days ago and I have read similar issues happening.

Any clues how to fix this?

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:55 PM
  • I get the 0x0000000d error code as well .. i did a clean install of vista biz few days ago .. i've tried everything suggested above, and none helped ... my vista client can see/access everthing on the print server, ie. shared folders/files from my other xp/vista client .. the only thing is that just from my vista clients, i cannot connect to the printer .. can see it, just not connect to it . got the 0x0000000d error code when i tried .. i had logged into the vista clients as admin as well .. any other  sugestions?
    Saturday, February 03, 2007 1:28 AM
  • I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER

Problem: Cannot connect to shared printer attached to a computer with an older operating system using Vista.  Get errors like “0x00000866 … cannot connect to the printer… “ or “0x00000057 … printer settings could not be saved …”

There are a bunch of strange solutions I found out there, but this is the proper way to do it.  Apparently, Vista considers the connection “Local” now.

“Vista has deprecated making connections to non-RPC machines

I found my answer here:

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/er-connect-er-windows-95-workstation-ftopict17937.html

Here is the solution:

Create a local printer using a Local Port with the name

\\machine\printshare

For me this was:

\\HpPav\\Brother_1240   

For the Brother 1240 shared printer on my HP Pavilion ME machine.  Note that the shared name was already there for me to select – I just chose it. 

Monday, February 05, 2007 7:22 AM
  • Thanks for that!

I had already mapped one of the printer but my problem was more that the spooler crashed apun startup. I found the following guide to help clear the printers from the registry etc. with then let me add the mapped printer.

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Spooler-Crashes-Startup-Network-er-Install-ftopict10684.html

Hope that will help someone out there.

Regards,

David

Monday, February 05, 2007 11:18 AM
  • i nessary help for error 0x00000866
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  grossgeister wrote:
    Hi!
    I get the same Error message when trying to add a network Printer to Windows Vista (Business).

The printer is a HP Deskjet 5652 connected (parallel) to a PC (Windows XP SP2) on the same network (just a switch between). No problems connecting to that PC otherwise.

regards.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:39 PM
  •  grossgeister wrote:
    Hi!

regards.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Have you tried mapping the network printer to a local port and added it that way?
    Monday, March 12, 2007 8:05 PM
  • I am having the same sort of problem. I have mapped it to a local port but the printer is showing up offline. I can print from an XP laptop to this xp desktop shared printer... Any suggestions?

Thanks a million

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:14 PM
  • This is just the answer I was looking for.  It worked like a charm.

Thanks a bunch.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:26 AM
  • window should have this one their vista home page for solutions to printer problems!!!!  Thank you!!!!  Now if I could just access the shared files from my xp machine, funny thing is I can see just about every file one the computer except the ones that i have marked share...hmm?

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Thanks for the help.  I wonder if trying to install the network printer creates the local printer or is it there because it can be seen by Vista
    Monday, March 26, 2007 9:08 AM
  • Vista has added a bunch of file permissions stuff.  Make sure the users accessing the share folder have rights to it (are member of the group that has rights).  You can do a test by creating an everyone group with full permissions.  If that works, then go ahead and limit permissions how you want them.  Also, you should have the user accounts on both machines.  If you do not want to be asked for a password, then be logged into both machines as the same user with the same password.  I assume that you have already verified that your firewall is not blocking you.  It's always a good test to turn off the firewall on both computers and see if you are still blocked (unplug the internet connection first for safety).

IF YOU ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY WITH IN A MULTIUSER ENVIRONMENT ACCESSING A FILE AT THE SAME TIME, do not continue to pull your hair out over it.  Vista has a major bug dealing with shared files.  Let me know if this is the case bacause I have a workaround from Microsoft for this problem.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:07 AM
  • A WORKING SOLUTION

Okay, everyone.  I have finally found something that works.  I actually found it on this forum under a different thread.  I can't image this is how Mr. Gates imagined users would have to set up a networked printer, so this is a workaround until they get their act together.

From a DOS prompt (Type command in the "start search" section of the start menu) type this:

net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes

for me this was

LPT1 \\hppav\BROTHER_1240 / persistent:yes

substituting for #, server, and printer as appropriate for your network.

Then add your printer locally using the LPT# port.  I used LPT1 because my laptop has no parallel cable and I don't think I'll use LPT1 for anything else.

This works and the pritner does NOT go offline permenantly if you turn off the computer.

This is were I found the posting:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=924536&SiteID=17

Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:00 AM
  •  

BigSlick2007

You Rock!

Thank you so much for this solution...  I will never understand why Vista doesn't have this information in their help files.

Friday, April 06, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  

Another solution:

Recently, I've the same problems with my Lexmark X8350.

I have one desktop computer with Lexmark X8350 (XP Pro) and a new Laptop (Vista).

I wanted to share the XP desktop printer via my wireless router (Edimax) through my Vista laptop.

The nightmare begun (cannot connect... 0x0000000d and much more) !!!

Only direct connect to the laptop via a USB cable worked.

The opposite way (Lexmark connected to Vista laptop and net printing via the XP desktop) worked !!!

After some uninstalling the proper drivers for each computer and installing, Net printing via XP desktop stopped working !

After a lot of hours a workaround was found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also: I believe that there are some bugs with the printer drivers (vista and xp) !!

The workaround:

The share name should be exactly the same as the printer name (the name within printers folder)

For example if the printer name is "Lexmark 8300 Series" use share name as  "Lexmark 8300 Series"  only !

Not "Lexmark X8350" or "My Printer". Share name should be identical to Printer name - for me "Lexmark 8300 Series".

Monday, April 09, 2007 7:24 AM
  • SOLUTION

I thought I posted this before, but all of my threads seem to be erased.  Perhaps MS does not like my sarcasm.  Anyway, here it is again:

Okay, everyone.  I have finally found something that works.  I actually found it on this forum under a different thread.  I can't image this is how Mr. Gates imagined users would have to set up a networked printer, so this is a workaround until they get their act together.

From a DOS prompt (Type command in the "start search" section of the start menu) type this:

net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes

for me this was

LPT1 \\hppav\BROTHER_1240 / persistent:yes

substituting for #, server, and printer as appropriate for your network.

Then add your printer locally using the LPT# port.  I used LPT1 because my laptop has no parallel cable and I don't think I'll use LPT1 for anything else.

This works and the pritner does NOT go offline permenantly if you turn off the computer.

This is were I found the posting:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=924536&SiteID=17

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Same problem using an HP officejet x40vi - followed procedure at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm - worked really well!
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:18 PM
  • I've been trying to print from Vista to printers shared by Win95 & 98 boxes. Can set 'em up, and they work fine as long as I can keep the computer running but they then permanently lose connection after reboot. Only way to get 'em back is to re-install 'em. The "net use" fix doesn't work for my setup, even when I got it to be accepted (watch those "spaces"--syntax has got to be perfect).

If your time is worth anything at all (I imagine we've all spent tons of time on this), throw a little money at it and get one of those tiny, in-line print servers--USB on one end, RJ45 on the other and a slim, 2-3 inch square footprint. They serve the printer directly to your network, bypassing having to share it from any computer at all. It's the only thing that's worked for me. The connection is now persistent after a reboot. And these are "legacy" printers--still work just fine but are no longer "supported" by the manufacturer (an "out" used even by MS techs)--however, MS ships drivers for them in the Vista package.

I bought an IOGear USB unit for under $60 (w/ shipping, etc.) from one of the better on-line retailers. I am waiting for an HP JetDirect card to arrive for another printer but am pretty sure it will work since the methodology is the same. Units similar to the IOGear server are also available for parallel ports but I opted for the JetDirect card because the ones I saw are fitted with the old, large connector and my printer uses a small connector more like a mini SCSI.

Try it! Your wives will love you again when your hair grows back.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:36 PM
  •  

YET ANOTHER SOLUTION

I had the same problem with a Dell AIO 964 Printer. I tryied everithing I could find on this forum or the rest of the web and nothing worked, I finally made it work after installing the Windows Vista driver on the XP Machine as well as on the Vista Machine.

Pablo

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:34 AM
  • Doron (and anyone else!)

I have a similar setup - Home PC running XP with a Lexmark x7350 connected via USB 2.0 and a new Vista laptop. After reading some of the threads, I did the following:

1. Disconnected the x7350 from the XP machine.
    2. Uninstalled the printer from the XP machine.
    3. Restarted the XP maxchine.
    4. Installed the VISTA driver for the x7350 straight from the Lexmark website
    5. Connected x7350 to the XP machine via USB. (from Lexmark installation program)
    6. Enabled network sharing.  (from Lexmark installation program)
    7. Ran test print (you gotta know if it works!)
    8. Ran add a printer wizard on the Vista laptop
    9. Added printer on Vista Laptop
    10. Ran a test print and test scan on Vista laptop.
    11. Strutted around office and got tennis elbow patting self on back.

Hope that helps.

Walt Peycha

Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so, so much!!!!.

It works!!!. thank you!!!.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:08 PM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU!  I have been trying to print from my new vista laptop to a printer connected to an XP PC with no luck.  The only way I could print was to physically unplug the printer from PC and plug it into the laptop.  Oddly enough I could print over the network from the PC to the printer connected to the laptop but not vice versa...until I followed your advice and set up local printer on laptop.  Thanks again!

Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Thanks Walt peycha I had the same thing and done what you said to do and now I have tennis elbow too. Now I can print from the the lap top (VISTA) to the Home pc(XP) Works great

Thanks for your hard work I put two days in befor I found your post.

Ron W

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:58 AM
  •  

I tryed what said and it work for me laptop with Vista desktop with XP and the same printer.

Thank you  for you post hear it did help me now I can print from the laptop to the printer.

Ron W

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:03 AM
  • I am having a similiar problem, but I am getting error 0x000003ee when I try to install a printer.
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Me too. I have a windows vista business x64 and it gives me the 0x000003ee error whenever I try to install any printer drivers. What can be the problem?
    ghorvath
    Monday, November 05, 2007 3:27 PM
  •  

Gracias, Buenas Respuesta, funciona perfecto
    Monday, November 05, 2007 9:58 PM
  •  

A BREAK THROUGH...  for myself only; or for ppl that uses the same Printer and OS versions like me.

Like some other ppl here I want to add, that this is not a critical error on Vista but a comunication bug created by the custom properties of the printer´ drivers.

I am using:

- a wireless Vista based (Home Premium) OS laptop.

- Sitecom WL 183 wireless router.(I assume this is installed correct and with all the features working good, as also the firewalls on both computers)

- a desktop XP Media Center sp2.

- a Lexmark P707 printer.

The printer is connected to the XP via USB Virtual port.

1° There I just had to uninstall all the old printer drivers and delete the printer itself (also the previously created ports)

2° Then I´ve created a clean install with the VISTA DRIVERS ON THE XP MACHINE.

3° After everything was OK, restarted the PC and ADD Local Printer. The wizards do everything(assuming that other make´ Vista Printer Installer will work on XP).

- Few things to add before you work on Vista:

-  Disable Simple sharing on the folder options and enable File and Printer sharing wizard

- On both computers you should have same User account and same password.

- Create and enable shares on both computers

- The router is installed correctly if you´ll be able to browse through those shares.

Vista Laptop will work like this.

The laptop can see now the shares on XP pc and also the shared printer from the XP machine.

Just right-click on the shared printer... Connect. Now a pop-up will say : If you want to use the shared printer on \\Desktop.\Printer you have to install the drivers for this printer. Click install drivers.

After the installing of drivers go on your Vista printers folder and you should find your printer overthere. Make it default.

The PROBLEM now is that the spooler on the XP won´t accept (or maybe it does but with me crashed continuously) the jobs directed from the Vista. In this matter I´ve done 2 things. On Xp I´ve shared the C:/Windows/system32/spool/PRINTERS, and on the Vista, right click, Properties, Sharing tab, Cheked the Render print jobs on client computers.

And it finally worked after 2 WEEKS of trying to work it arround like other ppl tried, and 2 weeks of annoying my wife by staying continuously on those plastic deavils.

So bubye error 0x0000000d, i have to make it up with my wife.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:30 PM
  • BigSlick2007:  Thank you for this information!  It worked and saved my a LOT of hassle.

Best,

Copecabra

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:50 PM
  • Monday, November 26, 2007 10:50 PM
  • I have the same problem - and been working on it for hours.  I don't understand what you mean by mapping or creating another local printer.  I am so lost and frustrated!  I went to the link you suggested - but I got lost there.

I hate VISTA!!!!

Can you help me?  Error 0x0000000d   The printer appears when I look - but I can't connect.  I have downloaded the latest drivers.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:56 AM
  •  AHarsent wrote:

Hi,

This worked fine 4 me with a netgear router, and a windows vista buisness dell laptop, a windows 98SE computer directly connected to the router and an epson stylus c40 plus. One thing though NetBIOS must be enabled.
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 12:10 PM
  • How about a XP Home edition machine.  I'm doing an XP home to another XP home pc via a wireless router and want to use the printer that's not connected to my machine. 

I keep getting error:  "Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specific printer has lost its connection the the server."

Well, first off, the printer is connected to its PC, and it is marked "shared"   and I did type in the correct printer name ....

hplaserj  as it appears on that PC.   Do I have to put the full path name, like this....\\workgroup name\pcname\printer name\    

or what is proper syntax of the printer name...just hplaserj?

thanks you

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Bigslick2007 you are awesome.  I have been trying for 6 months to attach my Vista laptop to my XP home office computer printer. 

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Result! thanks for the clear instructions, it works!

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:43 AM
  • I am getting the same error while trying to print to a newly installed Dell Photo 926 All-in-One Fax/Scanner/Copier/Printer.  I am using Vista home.  Unfortunately I am not as computer savvy are a lot of you seem to be; so, I'm in desperate need of help!  I can copy, fax, and scan just fine, but no printing...  Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:16 AM
  •  

Create a local printer using a Local Port with the name

\\machine\printshare

For me this was:

\\HpPav\\Brother_1240   

For the Brother 1240 shared printer on my HP Pavilion ME machine.  Note that the shared name was already there for me to select – I just chose it. 

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:03 AM
  • I have to thank whoever posted this about using the Vista driver on the XP machine.

I have to confirm this is the answer to about 8 hours of frustration trying to print from my Vista 64 bit laptop to a printer connected to a desktop running XP. I kept getting "Windows cannot connect..." I just uninstalled the XP driver, rebooted, installed the Vista driver for my Lexmark x7170 from their website on the XP machine and VOILA! It worked fine. Now I can print from both NP5790 & 5793 Sager laptops running Vista 64 bit.
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 2:28 AM
  • hi when i do a point and print from a windows vista im getting an error "windows cannot connect to the printer.operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)" can some one tell me why this error comes
     feroz_ahmed wrote:

hi when i do a point and print from a windows vista im getting an error

"windows cannot connect to the printer.operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

when i system restore at back date the printer work proberly..

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:32 AM
  •  feroz_ahmed wrote:

hi when i do a point and print from a windows vista im getting an error

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:18 AM
  • If you got passed this problem, could you kindly give me a step by step approach to fixing it ..

I have a brand new laptop with vista..

tx

J

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:38 PM
  •  

I did the same thing for a 4300 and got bad results, had to go back to the the original software for the xp, and still either way on the laptop vista sees the printer but cannot connect because it cant communicate....

The xp machine lost contact and had critical errors with vista level drivers from lexmark for that printer.

My dad lives about 160 miles one way from me, with advanced ms, he cant get around well, and having had major reconstructive surgery from cancer myself, it is not easy for me to travel that far very often.

I am good with computers, even with lousy OS design, I know all versions of windows very very well, and this is basically an issue with vista, making it hard even for hardware providers to design working drivers. The work around works for some but not everyone. This is clearly an issue of a product not ready for release.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:10 PM
  • I tried to do this and I still get the error.  Did you put a Vista driver on the XP machine?  I have tried everything to get this to work and I keep getting the 0x0000000d error.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:35 PM
  • This worked for me too!
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:34 PM
  • OMG, im having the same problem... pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Same error here, BUT...

2 Vista machines, with new canon mp240, vista drivers installed, printer attached usb on one, other getting error

Guest account added to printer on host, pps off, matched drivers on both, etc

ALL file-sharing working fine, ftp, etc etc

Vista update needed?

-Pent
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Answered my own problem

Turned off "Render Print Jobs On Client Computers" under the host share

error went away on client and added fine

User Updated
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:01 AM
  • hi and thanks its worked like a charm
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:40 PM

• I have attempted the above but was a little confused about which computer to apply the net use command to.  Should the net use command be applied to the coputer with the printer (using Windows XP) or the computer I am trying to connect (using Vista x64).  I have another computer using Vista x32 and this machine connects and prints sucessfully.

The computer with the USB printer attached is using Windows XP.  The computer I am trying to connect is using Vista x64.  The computers are connected over a wireless home network.  I get the 0x000000d error when trying to add the printer.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Thank you Walt Peycha!
    I tried the other proposed solutions in this thread from top to bottom and only yours worked for me. None of the local port tricks worked.

Similar to you, I have a Home PC running XP home SP3 sharing a Lexmark x8350 connected via USB. I also have a new laptop running OEM Win 7 home Premium 64-bit.

1. Disconnected the x8350 from the XP machine.
    2. Connected it to the Win 7 Laptop via USB and installed the Vista 64-bit driver (important)
    3. Uninstalled the printer from the XP machine.
    4. Restarted the XP maxchine.
    5. Installed th e Vista 32-bit driver for the x8350 straight from the Lexmark website
    6. Connected x8350 to the XP machine via USB. (prompted from Lexmark installation program)
    7. Enabled network sharing.  (prompted from Lexmark installation program)
    8. Ran test print (you gotta know if it works!)
    9. Ran add a printer wizard on the Win 7 laptop
    10. Added network printer on Win 7 Laptop
    11. Ran a test print on Win 7 laptop.
    Thanks again Walt Peycha. Even the Lexmark Support Techs were stumped !
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Thanks B_Fop. I tried your steps, and I get the following:

If I install the printer as a network printer, I get the exception 0x0000000d
    If I install the printer as a local port, everything works fine until it gets to the "Installing Printer" step where it starts running ad infinitum. I tried leaving it running for the night, and the next morning it was still on the same step. Obviously frozen.

Any help?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:57 AM
  • ·                         I've seen this problem with a few printers now, not consistantly between any particular makes or models. However, I have found a consistant fix to connect to any network printer from vista or even Win 7: Also got it to work with XP Pro

net use LPT2: \\servername\printer (u have to know the servernane (usually the computer the printer is attached to & printer name you are trying to use on your network or local printer)

Then go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer, and choose port LPT2... It will probably ask for a printer driver, and you can just choose whatever XP driver (I even used a win 98 driver on win 7 & it worked) you might have been using before. The printer is then installed without any errors, and works just fine.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:10 AM
  •                I've seen this problem with a few printers now, not consistantly between any particular makes or models. However, I have found a consistant fix to connect to any network printer from vista or even Win 7: Also got it to work with XP Pro

net use LPT2: \\servername\printer (u have to know the servernane (usually the computer the printer is attached to & printer name you are trying to use on your network or local printer)

Then go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer, and choose port LPT2... It will probably ask for a printer driver, and you can just choose whatever XP driver (I even used a win 98 driver on win 7 & it worked) you might have been using before. The printer is then installed without any errors, and works just fine.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Thank You for the fix. I expanded on your answer since I found out it works on Win XP Pro, Vista & Win7.  Great find... Thanks again
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:16 AM
  • I was receiving this same error when trying to add my Canon MP250 to my laptop through my wireless network. I tried all of the suggestions on here and then some. I even tried adding the user but could only get my host computers local location. It occurred to me since I too could see the printer from my laptop and just couldn't connect to it, that something was blocking that connection. I turned off Windows Firewall on my host computer, tried adding the printer again on my wireless laptop... success. I didn't even add an exception and for some reason when I turned the firewall back on it still connects now. Gotta love Vista!
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:29 PM
  • I spent several days on this.

I have a Lexmark x7170 that is connected via USB to my Windows XP computer. The ONLY way to enable printing from my Vista laptop was to:

1. unplug printer from XP computer (very important otherwise drivers won't uninstall properly)
    2. uninstall xp lexmark printer drivers
    3. reboot
    4. reinstall lexmark vista drivers from website (cjr7100EN.exe) onto xp computer
    5. follow instructions to add printer
    6. share printer (via the lexmark driver installation)
    7. i used the share name same as the printer name (Lexmark 7100 Series) but not sure if this is necessary
    8. test print page from xp computer (it works!)
    9. on vista laptop add printer
    10. select network printer
    11. select the Lexmark 7100 Series share
    12. complete and test print page

I tried all the other options suggested above, ie. adding it on vista computer as local port \\my xp computer name\Lexmark 7100 Series, but that didn't work, printer added fine, but when I went to print, the Lexmark driver would say there was problem communicating to printer. Similarly, mapping LPT2 to the network printer share didn't work either, I think this is because this printer is a host based printer (ie. the computer connected to it does all the work).

Thanks to everyone above... i had just almost given up on this.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:41 AM
  • I have spent many days on getting mine to print as well.
    I've tried all suggestions.
    No luck!
    My setup is a Lexmark X6170 connected to a desktop PC running Windows XP. I cannot access the printer over my home network from a laptop running Windows 7. I can see the printer on the network but cannot connect to it. Keep getting "0x0000000d" error code.
    I would consider buying a new printer if that woould make a difference.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:22 PM
  • This did not work for me.  Printer is HP OfficeJet 5610, connected to a Window XP machine by USB.  There are two Windows 7 machines on my LAN, both connected wirelessly, and both can access each other as well as the XP machine just fine.  The Sony laptop added the printer with no problems.  The brand new Dell laptop fails with an 0x00000057 error when I try to add the printer over the network, and after adding the printer's share name via

"net use LPT1 \\hostname\printersharename /persistent:yes"

it also fails when I try to add the printer as local.

I updated to all the latest Windows 7 HP printer drivers, reinstalled chipset, BIOS, network drivers as well, all to no avail.   The frustration level is enormous.  Help would be much appreciated.  Please contact me directly, djemkitso (at) verizon (dot) net.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hello,

Printer Driver software download, All Printer Models

Good Luck

Sunday, June 06, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I found this thread when googling my problem. I have a Readynas pro print server, so I couldn't just install vista drivers on it. Adding a network share worked all the time on XP but not on my 7 64bit machine. I did "net use LPT1 \\server\printer /persistent:yes" and it worked perfect. I added the local port printer via LPT1 and worked like a charm. My printer share also shows up as a network connected device in network manager. I wish I could have got it to work directly, but this was the only work around that works for me now.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:52 AM
  • how do you do that?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:52 PM