How do I unblock downloaded files?

Question

• When downloading .exe or .msi files Windows 8 allows me to run them but I have to do a specific "run anyway" action on the warning message I get when running the files.

In Windows 7 I could unblock files on the properties panel for a file, this option is removed in Windows 8. How do I unblock downloaded files that are not .exe files?

Specifically I have downloaded zip-files that includes dll-files that I can not use within Visual Studio as they are blocked as "downloaded from the internet".

Per Salmi, Software Developer .NET Technologies PerSalmi.NET

• Edited by Per Salmi Friday, March 16, 2012 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:33 PM

Answers

• Ok, I found the answer.

To unblock a downloaded file, run the Unblock-File PowerShell 3.0 commandlet!

Like this:

Unblock-File .\php_manual_en.chm

But please, put the Unblock button back in the properties dialog for files that are blocked! 

• Edited by Per Salmi Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Per Salmi Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:56 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:56 AM

All replies

Like this:

But please, put the Unblock button back in the properties dialog for files that are blocked! 

• Edited by Per Salmi Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Per Salmi Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:56 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:56 AM

nice find!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:53 PM
    Answerer
  • That works but replacing such a high use/importance GUI button with PowerShell cmdlet?? Have they gone bonkers? Do you expect joe average to unblock all downloaded files this way??
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:23 AM
  • No, if it is an .exe or .msi file you get a prompt warning about the unsecure contents and option to "run it anyway" but in this case it was a .zip archive with executable files as contents and then you need to remove the internet zone blocking flag for the files before or after extracting the files to be able to execute the code.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Well, a great thing is that the unblock button is back in the Properties UI in the Release Preview version of Windows 8.

• Edited by Per Salmi Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:27 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Yes, I also saw this.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:54 AM
    Answerer
  • Alas if only they listened to what their users want and brought back ALL the other unnecessarily and randomly removed features from here and there.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:56 AM