none
Windows 7 gadgets are not working anymore. Strange problem.

Question

• Hello

I'm having a strange problem with windows 7 Gadgets, I describe it as follows:

1. Drag and drop a gadget to any part of the windows 7 desktop.
    This problem happens with all the gadgets, so you can drag and drop the gadget you prefer.

2. Automatically, something weird happen. You will see TWO COPIES OF THE SAME GADGET PLACED IN THE DESKTOP! One of those copies, is showing the controls to close it, etc. the other copy, doesn't show any controls at all and it is glued to the desktop, you cannot move it.

3. This happens with all the gadgets you drag and drop to the desktop, all them are duplicated, appearing 2 times.

4. When you restart, windows 7 doesn't remember the gadget, so the gadget will not be there anymore and will disappear.

5. The Fix it 50617 and Fix it 50618 DON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

6. I did all these steps, and also don't solve the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515657

7. I tried other solution people is talking about in forums, registering the following DLL

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

ALSO DON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

8. Restoring the system to the last point, ALSO DONT WORK. The last point was created in November 16th, 2011 and I tried to restore the system to that point and also don't solve the problem.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

How may I solve this?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

Thanks

• Edited by MrMister Friday, November 18, 2011 11:00 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:57 AM

Answers

• SOLUTION FOUND

------------------------------------

This problem is caused by a certain gadget that is presenting incompatibility problems with Windows 7 gadgets, and it's affecting the behaviour of the other gadgets.

SOLUTION TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

1. Uninstall ALL, ALL gadgets in your windows 7, except those that comes by default with windows 7: Clock, Calendar, Money, Puzzle, Presentation (pictures), RSS News

2. To uninstall a gadget press with the right button of the mouse over the desktop, select in the menu Gadgets, then click over the gadget you want to uninstall to select it, then press with the right button of the mouse and select uninstall. Do this for all the gadgets, except those coming by default with windows 7

3. When the task be finished, restart your computer

4. Now you will see all the gadgets are behaving perfectly, and you can install also new gadgets without problems.

Try to avoid to install gadgets that could show a weird behaviour or incompatibility problems.

Thanks

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:05 PM

All replies

• SOLUTION FOUND

------------------------------------

This problem is caused by a certain gadget that is presenting incompatibility problems with Windows 7 gadgets, and it's affecting the behaviour of the other gadgets.

SOLUTION TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

1. Uninstall ALL, ALL gadgets in your windows 7, except those that comes by default with windows 7: Clock, Calendar, Money, Puzzle, Presentation (pictures), RSS News

2. To uninstall a gadget press with the right button of the mouse over the desktop, select in the menu Gadgets, then click over the gadget you want to uninstall to select it, then press with the right button of the mouse and select uninstall. Do this for all the gadgets, except those coming by default with windows 7

3. When the task be finished, restart your computer

4. Now you will see all the gadgets are behaving perfectly, and you can install also new gadgets without problems.

Try to avoid to install gadgets that could show a weird behaviour or incompatibility problems.

Thanks

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:05 PM
  • i was using the gadgets of calender , yesterday i close it, now when i try to reopen it , it is not showing any thing. nothing happen when i click in the gadgets. 
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem. Tried to uninstall a gadget but when I click on gadgets with right click on the desktop, it gives error that windows gagdets are not working properly and then nothing happens. Same message diaplayed when I try to uninstall using control panel->Appearance & Personalization.

Please suggest!

• Edited by HinaSohrab Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:08 AM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:08 AM
  • LOL -- The gadgets that AREN'T working are Calendar, CPU Meter, Clock... all that were installed as part of Win 7.
    Monday, December 31, 2012 12:23 AM
  • google:

Gadgets have been discontinued - Microsoft Windows    

Gadgets are no longer available on our website because the Windows Sidebar platform in Windows 7 and Windows Vista has serious vulnerabilities. Microsoft has retired the feature in newer releases of Windows. Gadgets could be exploited to harm your computer, access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. An attacker could even use a gadget to take complete control of your PC. If you're concerned about the safety of gadgets you’ve downloaded, find out more abut gadgets and steps you can take to protect your PC.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:11 PM
  • google:

Gadgets are no longer available on our website because the Windows Sidebar platform in Windows 7 and Windows Vista has serious vulnerabilities. Microsoft has retired the feature in newer releases of Windows. Gadgets could be exploited to harm your computer, access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. An attacker could even use a gadget to take complete control of your PC. If you're concerned about the safety of gadgets you’ve downloaded, find out more abut gadgets and steps you can take to protect your PC.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:11 PM
  • google:

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:12 PM
  • google:

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:12 PM