none
Windows 8 will not shut down, with or without Fast Startup disabled

Question

• If the power button is pressed. it will go to the "Shutting Down..." screen but never shut down. If the Settings charm option is clicked, it will simply do nothing.

Heck, I can do "shutdown /s /f /t 00" and still, nothing happens.

Help!

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:55 PM

Answers

• We may need to capture a hang dump file duing the hang at "shutting down" for analyzing.

However, i think we can perform the following steps at first:

1. upgrade the hardware driver/firmware/BIOS to the newest version.

2. rebuilt the user profile.

3. remove the AV, disk encryption software it the server has.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:40 AM

All replies

• Try a clean boot and see if you can shut down.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

After updating my ATI graphics card drivers, my PC rebooted without issue. After following those instructions, it also rebooted without issue.

However, upon "clean" (re)boot, it would still not shut down. It seems my PC can restart, but not shut down.

EDIT: Today I tried to restart it, which didn't work. Seems my PC can do neither.
    • Edited by Andrea Faulds Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:25 PM more info
    Friday, February 15, 2013 9:49 PM
  • "shutdown /s /f /t 00" and still, nothing happens.

Try  Shift-Restart.   GUI method of  shutdown.exe  /r  /o

Something different should happen then.   ; )

---

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Anything in the event viewer that might give a clue?  Look for error and critical events.

Also check the shutdown performance logs.  This link details how to view the boot logs but the shutdown log information is in the same area:

http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what%e2%80%99s-taking-so-long-how-to-fight-slow-startup-times-in-windows-7/#more-2490

Jerry

Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:45 PM
  • I just did a normal restart (intending to then do Shift-Restart when it didn't work) and it worked fine.

I'm confused.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:21 PM
  • In the System log there are a bunch of "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." errors, which is to be expected (the only way to shut down my PC now is holding down the power button, if trying to restart doesn't work).

Under Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostics-Performance/Operational, there are a bunch of 20X events relating to shut down. Looking through them, some shutdowns were delayed by a few seconds because of various programs. However, no fatal errors, by the looks of it.

I'm going to try shutting down now and see if it works.

EDIT: Nope, I'm still here.

Now let's try a restart.

EDIT: Nope, I'm still here, again.

Now let's try Shift-Restart.

EDIT: I am still here, again.

Confused.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:33 PM
  • Hello, Andrea.  Here is a suggestion:

Open up an elevated command prompt and type in:

CHKDSK C: /r (there is a space between the : and the /)

Then answer Y to the question of scheduling a disk check.  Next reboot.  Allow the disk check to take place (this can take some time, it's a five-stage process).  When it comes up again, see if you are able to shut down properly.

All the best,

Don

Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Open Taskmgr and look if WinInit.exe causes a high CPU usage. If this happens, open regedit, go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

and remove everything from the value BootExecute except autocheck autochk *

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:52 AM
  • I did that, still can't shut down properly.
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:30 PM
  • I removed the first line, which was "autocheck autochk /m /f \Device\HarddiskVolume2".

Trying again now.

EDIT: Nope, I'm gonna put that line back.
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Do you have this high Wininit.exe CPU usage?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Of course.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 5:13 PM
  • provide the xperf file:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w8itproperf/thread/e7c4e2de-e1d0-43f2-a9a7-b555c5106bd5

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Sorry for taking so long, done: http://www.mediafire.com/?1cp8i2p7q1ps2sf

(note, I had to reopen chrome after starting shutdown so I could read those instructions, so I just want to warn you in case you thought it was causing shut down to fail)

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:49 PM
  • also have the same issue like the user in the topic I've linked. Run chkdsk /f and look if this helps if removing the autochk line doesn't solve it.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:11 AM
  • I already did a chkdsk on drive (C:) (my windows/boot drive), and I did a chkdsk on drive (D:) (my media drive, USB, external) just now and it came up clean.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:35 PM
  • By chance, your mobo have Intel Z77X chipset ?
    • Edited by haarp.net Friday, February 22, 2013 5:42 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:26 PM
  • if chkdsk doesn't fix it, removing the entries in BootExcecute is the only known fix.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Nope, sorry.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:23 AM
  • We may need to capture a hang dump file duing the hang at "shutting down" for analyzing.

However, i think we can perform the following steps at first:

1. upgrade the hardware driver/firmware/BIOS to the newest version.

2. rebuilt the user profile.

3. remove the AV, disk encryption software it the server has.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Just check if you have any updtes on this issue.

Friday, June 14, 2013 2:53 AM
  • If the power button is pressed. it will go to the "Shutting Down..." screen but never shut down. If the Settings charm option is clicked, it will simply do nothing.

Heck, I can do "shutdown /s /f /t 00" and still, nothing happens.

Help!

I am having the same problem now. Hope you have the solution. Please Help Me Out.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 3:15 AM