none
stuck on starting windows screen

Question

• when upgrading from windows vista to windows 7 ultimate 32-bit ,It loads the files then gather all the files  and settings and then expand files up to 22%, then reboot. I get the "Starting windows" screen that stops after disk.sys. It does not crash, does not return any message anything just is stuck after disk.sys
    i need some help please .

Am runing a

DELL E520 with vista home basic SP2  
    proce intel pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 3.00GHz
    RAM 4.00GB
    System type 32-bit
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• Did you run some disk partitioning utility for extending system partition before you ran upgrade to Windows 7?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Hello,

Most of these problems are caused by the BIOS or chipset which is not fully compatible with windows 7. In DELL website, I could only find the Vista drivers for your PC. You can try to install the latest bios and chipset update:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_E520&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

If the issue persists, I recommend you perform a clean installation of win7.

Thomas77
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:52 AM
  • hi Les ,

no i didn`t, and i don`t know how to do that !! i thought it will easy just like all the old Windows versions .
    is there any info`s on how to do it ?? thanks for ur reply
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Hi Thomas ,

thanks for your reply, before i got to this page i did the clean installation but still had the same problem
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I have checked my BIOS it is the same version that i have on my computer .
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi Nart78,
    Have you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first? Get it here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

You should uninstall any anti-virus programs. Save your key, download a Windows 7 version and you can activate your subscription with that key.
    Uninstall Windows Mail. backup or export any mail you want to save. You will need an email client in Windows 7. One is not included.
    These two items will reduce the upgrade time and increase the chances for a succesful upgrade.

Do anything that the upgrade advisor reports as critical.

Then try starting the upgrade process by booting to the Win 7 DVD.
    1. If the computer is on insert the DVD
    2. If it auto starts cancel it.
    3. If the autorun box appears and with the option to select setup.exe or view files, cancel it. Do nothing
    4. Leave the disk in the drive and restart the computer.
    5. When it asks "press any key to boot from DVD" press a key
    6. Select language
    7. Select upgrade
    Allow 2 hours or more for the upgrade. If it takes less time, good for you.

What's the result?
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Hi Nano ,

i did run the advisor and had no criticals in the report .
    i did uninstal my norton antivirus 2010 , and the windows mail .

i followed your steps but i still have the same problem still getting stuck on the (starting Windows) screen.

i still don`t know what to do God i never had any problems with upgrading since windows 2000 was invinted  .
    i don`t know why am having it now !!!

any steps or feedback is much appreciated .

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Nano Wrap ,

do i have to uninstall the windows security center too ???

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:07 AM
  • no, you do not have to uninstall windows security center.

try this symantec uninstaller tool. sometimes they leave folder and files behind.
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Ok, was the computer factory configured as RAID? Are there two physical HDD's and they appear as one in My Computer? 
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Have you disconnected all peripherals except keyboard, mouse, and monitor?

Is there a backup usb drive or something connected?

You connect and install your peripherals after the upgrade.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:23 AM
  • When the upgrade fails, is it performing a rollback to Vista or just failing?

There is a log we can locate from Vista to determine the cause.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:30 AM
  • i am using the removal tools now ,

my computer originaly with one HDD that appears as two in My Computer, one as OS and the other one is Recovery ,and i added another HDD .

Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:50 AM
  • it does not do a rollback or anything it just restart half way through the expanting files on the installation screen and then it gets stuck on the black ( Starting Windows ) screen , i have left it at that screen all night with no change. then i restart it the computer and i get two option the first is install windows and the seconed windows vista`s option, when i choose windows vista`s option it just start as if nothing happend and gives me a message that the previous windows version was recoverd.

where would that log be ???

am going to use removal tools, disconnect anything connected to the computer other than mouse and k.board and see what happen, even on the upgrade advisor`s report all looks very good with no criticals at all .

i think my computer is configured as RAID ( what ever that is ) .
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:59 AM
  • The log file would be found here: C:\$Windows~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log. when you are in Vista.
    If you find it, upload it to your public folder in skydrive and provide the link to your skydrive here. Look for it before you upgrade, as it will tell us the source of the problem.
    Your public folder is here: http://home.live.com/   sign in with the same as used for this forum, under the more heading, Skydrive

About the second drive. Did you add it in Vista or for the Win 7 install?
    How does the second drive appear in My Computer?

If it is another letter drive, I would disconnect it tempoarily for the upgrade.

Most likely, if the computer only had one drive from the factory, than you don't have raid. 
    If you didn't configure RAID after installing the second drive, than you don't have it.

Yes, the computer has the ability to support RAID, but it is not configured from what you told me. 
    • Edited by Nano Warp Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:29 AM added windows live info
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:25 AM
  • i got the seconed hard drive for Vista , it works fine and it is under the name Backup(E:).

i`look for the log now
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:40 PM
  • i have uploaded photos of whats been hapening with it .

your help is much appreciated Nano
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hi Nart78,

Is the SATA mode set to default in the BIOS?

SATA Operation

(RAID Autodetect/ATA default) Identifies and defines the SATA controller settings for RAID. You can set the SATA controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA or RAID On

Download and install the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager in Vista for the P965 chipset and then try the upgrade. 

You want RAID Autodetect/ATA. 

The screenshot appears if a RAID was configured and broken when you added another drive. You don't want RAID, correct?

Also, is your Win 7 disk retail, OEM, or RTM from TechNet or MSDN?

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:06 AM
  • Hi Nano,

i don`t know what the RAID for to be honest with you,

i have Win 7 OEM 32-bit

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:34 PM
  • i cant open the intel download page or any site with the intell storage manager on to download , it keeps going to this page cannot be displayed .
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Turn on the computer. Hit F2 after it beeps. Use the keyboard to navigate the menus. Find the SATA Operation and set to RAID autodetect/ATA. Hit F10 and save and exit. Then try the upgrade. That sets it for no RAID.

Don't worry about the download from Intel. They must be performing server maintenance today. Win 7 has what you need.

You could also disconnect drive 1 (second drive) until the install of Win 7 is complete.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Nano ,

i tried the above steps and disconnected my second drive but still the same , get stuck for ever on the starting windows screen .

Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:33 AM
  • is it a common problem to have this problem with Installing or upgrading to Win 7 , or is it just DELL`s bad computers ,

my computer have ( lets say) one hard drive originaly, but it came with too partition one is the OS (C) and the other one is Recovery (D) with 9.99GB which 5.88GB is free space left on it .

this recovery drive has the following folders :

DELL , Program Files , Saources ,Tools ,Users and Windows .

would the space of this drive or the files in it be preventing me from doing the upgrade ?

i used too many computers in my life and i installed too many Windows versions with out any problem at all untill Win 7 is out and now i can`t upgrade to use it .

sorry am just frustrated .

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Hi Nart78,

First the HDD partitions are 1. OS-where Vista is installed 2. Recovery-used to restore the computer to it's factory state 3. a small partititon with a diagnostic tool. None of that would prevent, and is not stopping the process.

It does not appear that you having are any issues with the upgrade process finding the HDD's and using drivers for those.(setupp.log)

Check in device Manager for the type of cd\dvd drive that you have and look on Dell support here for a firmware update. Apply that if you have not. While booted in Vista.

Then try this Vista FixIt for removing upper and lower filters for the optical drive, while booted in Vista.

One or more of the disk utilities and apps that you have installed may have changed the settings on the CD\DVD drive and that is why you are getting a disk.sys error. They have made it inaccessible for the Win 7 setup disk.

I scanned your setup.log file and it appears to have completed the upgrade\ migration process and made it to a restart in about 78 minutes.

The full upgrade process can take 2-3 hours 

The network adapter driver (ethernet) Intel Pro 10\100 drivers are a problem. You'll have to complete the upgrade to determine if Win 7 will add drivers.

Do you have a bluetooth device connected to the computer? Like a keyboard or mouse with the adapter connected to usb. You'll need to find a Win 7 driver\software for that. The setuperr.log identifies a bthport error. The other 10 errors are related to the network adapter.

I suggest uninstalling the WD external storage software and reinstalling it after the upgrade with a Win 7 version.

After booting from the installation dvd, you should not "press any key to boot from cd\dvd" again. Just let it restart.

I believe that the process is stopping because of the optical drive and possibly the WD external drive software.

I can understand you frustration. This is time consuming. Try the optical drive fixes and the update one more time. 

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:14 PM
  • assuming your drive doesn't have errors or bad sectors... you can try this

if all else fails make sure you have your oem vista disks or can install vista again from anyother source than you recovery partition

startup computer go into bios ..... change all settings back to default... then make sure your dvd drive is the 1st boot device(very important) and that bios can see your hard drive/drives and what order you want them in if there are two

insert win 7 disk..... from install when it asks you what hard drive to install too  delete all partitions even that recovery one because it will be useless when going to win7.... now there should be one area that says unalocated space..... click new... win7 should then make two partitions one should be

system reserved(100mb)

the other should be the OS install aka C; drive( the rest of your drive)

make sure you highlight the biggest partition and click next

this should work

my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:52 PM
  • oh yes only have your monitor, corded mouse, and corded keyboard attached to the computer nothing else.
    my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:54 PM
  • assuming your drive doesn't have errors or bad sectors... you can try this

if all else fails make sure you have your oem vista disks or can install vista again from anyother source than you recovery partition

startup computer go into bios ..... change all settings back to default... then make sure your dvd drive is the 1st boot device(very important) and that bios can see your hard drive/drives and what order you want them in if there are two

insert win 7 disk..... from install when it asks you what hard drive to install too  delete all partitions even that recovery one because it will be useless when going to win7.... now there should be one area that says unalocated space..... click new... win7 should then make two partitions one should be

system reserved(100mb)

the other should be the OS install aka C; drive( the rest of your drive)

make sure you highlight the biggest partition and click next

this should work

Jackal696,

How does he preserve his applications and data? Wiping the restore partition is not a good idea either. The install media is not typically included. If he would like to sell the computer, the restore partiton and the COA add value as there is a valid OS and the computer can be returned to factory state. The diagnostic partition is useful also. Both of those use very little disk space. If you had read the posts, an upgrade is what he would like to accomplish.

This is a jackal like response, destroying a working computer instead of offering a solution. Your disclaimer says it all.

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Hi Nano ,

is there a specific way or steps to uninstall the Windows mail in vista because there is no uninstall file .or it does not matter if its there ? the upgrade advisor does not included as critical,

and the website says i have to contact a microsoft tech for this matter.

BTW ,

thanks for your quick reply back to Jackal696 .

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Nart78,

The Win 7 upgrade will not migrate the Windows Mail Application.  Your setupact.log shows this.

If there are emails that you would like to preserve for both users, export them to storage off of the main drive. 

No action is required by you.

However, you will need a email client in Windows 7.  

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:28 AM
  • lol destroy a working computer... vista working ......anyway

any OS upgrade to a different OS should be clean install

the recovery partition ...wasted space

windows mail for vista .... install windows live mail transfer your mail to that (MS FREE download)

back up nessary files that you want ... burn to disc or external hard drive

after install to win7...... reinstall your applications *shakes head*

yeah someones going to buy a vista computer nowadays ....ok

not a hard thing to do he probably would be typing back in windows 7 by now ... but sure do it the hard way do a migration and have issues later

and you don't have to get nasty about my opinion on how to get him to win7.... i have upgraded tons without headaches..... all clean installs... you figured ppl would have learned when it was xp migration to vista... but hey what do i know

but you don't seem to want my help so go ahead i'll just watch this play out

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:21 PM
  • lol destroy a working computer... vista working ......anyway

any OS upgrade to a different OS should be clean install

upgrade is what i explained ..... you should say migration

and i said make sure you have your vista disks..... hmmm short sightedness on your part

the recovery partition ...wasted space

windows mail for vista .... install windows live mail transfer your mail to that (MS FREE download)

back up nessary files that you want ... burn to disc or external hard drive

after install to win7...... reinstall your applications *shakes head*

yeah someones going to buy a vista computer nowadays ....ok

not a hard thing to do he probably would be typing back in windows 7 by now ... but sure do it the hard way do a migration and have issues later

and you don't have to get nasty about my opinion on how to get him to win7.... i have upgraded tons without headaches..... all clean installs... you figured ppl would have learned when it was xp migration to vista... but hey what do i know

but you don't seem to want my help so go ahead i'll just watch this play out

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Hi jackal,

All users do not have the knowledge or the time and patience needed for a clean install and migration. Where are the keys and disks for my software, I don't have disks, what do I need to install, where do I get the drivers, what's a driver, etc.

You overlooked the need to add the Intel storage drivers for this computer during the installation process for a clean install. A clean install is not an upgrade. Just an OS install. Then you migrate files and settings. You may find this helpful in using the correct terminology Upgrade and Migration

Did you review the setupact.log on the Skydrive link? What do you think is the problem?  

Just help the posters on the forum solve the problem and not do what you would like to do. Your helpful assistance is always welcome.

Monday, March 22, 2010 6:17 PM
  • oh ok some times there are reasons the problem exists and it's best to start from scratch 

But i'm sorry if you don't have disks or keys or know what a driver is ..... why are you doing it yourself... take to your local computer shop ... and i don't mean the big box stores.

seriously dude you attack what i say, then you just say "your helpful assistance is always welcome"

Nart78 is probably better off finding someone else to help him than you!

I'm outta here

but before i go Nart78 when you do the install and it hangs on the starting windows screen did you try hitting the reset button (warm boot) on the computer and let it restart? that may work

or did you just shut it down? and I hope you are installing it to the same partition as the vista install or an upgrade will not work.... it's hard for ppl to know what your doing unless you give exact blow by blow details, like how long is forever?5 mins? 30 mins? it is a p4 lol

if you know someone with a oem disk you should try to install your vista on the new harddrive and upgrade on that one ... removing your orginal harddrive from the system

anyways hope you figure it out NARTO .....Laterz

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Hi Nart78,

First the HDD partitions are 1. OS-where Vista is installed 2. Recovery-used to restore the computer to it's factory state 3. a small partititon with a diagnostic tool. None of that would prevent, and is not stopping the process.

It does not appear that you having are any issues with the upgrade process finding the HDD's and using drivers for those.(setupp.log)

Check in device Manager for the type of cd\dvd drive that you have and look on Dell support here for a firmware update. Apply that if you have not. While booted in Vista.

Then try this Vista FixIt for removing upper and lower filters for the optical drive, while booted in Vista.

One or more of the disk utilities and apps that you have installed may have changed the settings on the CD\DVD drive and that is why you are getting a disk.sys error. They have made it inaccessible for the Win 7 setup disk.

I scanned your setup.log file and it appears to have completed the upgrade\ migration process and made it to a restart in about 78 minutes.

The full upgrade process can take 2-3 hours 

The network adapter driver (ethernet) Intel Pro 10\100 drivers are a problem. You'll have to complete the upgrade to determine if Win 7 will add drivers.

Do you have a bluetooth device connected to the computer? Like a keyboard or mouse with the adapter connected to usb. You'll need to find a Win 7 driver\software for that. The setuperr.log identifies a bthport error. The other 10 errors are related to the network adapter.

I suggest uninstalling the WD external storage software and reinstalling it after the upgrade with a Win 7 version.

After booting from the installation dvd, you should not "press any key to boot from cd\dvd" again. Just let it restart.

I believe that the process is stopping because of the optical drive and possibly the WD external drive software.

I can understand you frustration. This is time consuming. Try the optical drive fixes and the update one more time. 

Nano ,

i followed all the above steps and i acutaly uninstalled few programs and softwares too .

but still with no luck i got the same problem .

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Nano i added some photos of whats happening with me, and here is the explanation :

after i run the Win7 cd and start the upgrade process all works fine till the expanding windows files gets stuck on 21% and then restarts the computer ( photo 1 ) .

when it restarts i got the two options ( photo 2 ) if choose vista`s option it starts it with no problem but i gives me the warning msg see (photo 4).

and if i let the computer select the windows setup option (photo 2) it goes to the black ( starting windows ) screen with nothing moving (photo 3) .

and it gets stuck like overnight over 15 hours on that black screen (Photo 3).

i also uploaded the setup log from todays try, i hope you can find something in it .

http://cid-1e1c37acfffb552a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:32 AM
  • post the recent setuperr.log also.

Is your Win 7 disk 32-bit? You can't in-place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Done ,

http://cid-1e1c37acfffb552a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

the Disk is Win Ult 32-bit OEM, even though my computer is 64-bit capable i didn`t buy coz i`ll have to do a clean install which mean loss of files and folders as you know .so i got the 32-bit

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:40 AM
  • At this point, I would like to see what I am working with.

1.Click start

2. Type msinfo32 and select it from the programs

3. click on a heading to populate it

4. select file, save , file type .nfo,  give it a name, a note were it is saved

5. post that report to your skydrive, public

Then I should be to determine what is stopping this upgrade. Do you have an Intel Pro\1000 network adapter installed? Upgrade is identifying a network adapter as that device. That's the reference in the setuperr.log

Is your time sychronizing correctly?

There are some other items to look at, but I would like to see the msinfo report.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Nano ,

my Network adaptor hardware IDs below :

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104C&SUBSYS_01DD1028&REV_02
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104C&SUBSYS_01DD1028
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104C&CC_020000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104C&CC_0200

the bluetooth that i have i believe it`s  infineon bluethooth USB , but i took it off but maybe forgot to uninstall the software .

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Nano ,

on the msinfo32 steps ,

could you please explain step 3 because i dont the heading to populate option.

Intel(R) 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection
     my network adaptor

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:09 AM
  • http://cid-1e1c37acfffb552a.skydrive.live.com/home.aspx

i hope that this is the report that you are after in the system info .i added the report file on skydrive

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Nart,

As long as it is disconnected, that's ok. The drivers may not migrate.

OK. It's the onboard network adapter. You'll have to see if Win 7 finds a driver. I don't believe it is supported, but Win 7 may apply some compatible drivers.

Just save the report and post it. I want to look at the details of the computer.

Now for the answer. First, I apologise for not asking you about how you were booting to the dvd. On the Dell computers, you must use the F12 key after you hear the post beep. Similar to entering the BIOS. This allows the computer to boot to a different device than the hard drive. The screen shot where you see setup and Vista is the temp folder for setup and it is trying to boot from the hard drive. Not time for that yet. This tells me it is not booting to the install dvd, hence the connot find driver file path errors in the setuperr.log and the hang. Setup is trying to get those off of the disk. That's what I get for assuming you knew that.

So,

1. Place the Windows 7 installation dvd in the drive.

2. restart the computer

3. hit the F12 key when you hear the post beep

4. select the cd\dvd drive from the menu, number something, and hit enter

5. The setup\upgrade process should continue.

Post the msinfo and try the above. What happened this time. 

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Nano,

i have done that in both F2 and F12 and went to the Bios setup and in the boot menu i have choosen to boot from CD first but i still ended up in the same senario,

my sync time on the computer is  time.windows.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:42 AM
  • am gonna do it again now just incase i 4got a step or something and i`ll be back shortly i hope , thanks for your understanding, i do know about computers and i worked in technichal support company for 3 years but that was in the good old days about 10 years ago.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:45 AM
  • i have tried it again Nano and it still getting stuck on the Starting Windows screen . no luck at al
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:15 PM
  • i did post the report in skydrive public

http://cid-1e1c37acfffb552a.skydrive.live.com/home.aspx.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:16 PM
  • i also added the win7 advisor report on skydrive public maybe it is handy for you too
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Ok,

Thanks for the msinfo. The Radeon X1300 is not officially supported By ATI\AMD for Win 7. They have a driver here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English 

use the driver only.

For the upgrade, I suggest that you revert to the onboard display adapter and deal with the incompatiblity of the x1300 after the upgrade.

Here is the driver for the onboard: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18231&lang=eng

Change it in the BIOS. under video. select onboard, reboot to Vista and install the Intel driver

For the network adapter, try this driver 15.1.1 (Vista and Win 7 the same)from Intel:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+82562+Fast+Ethernet+Controllers&ProdId=998&LineId=976&FamilyId=2280

Download and install that driver in Vista.

Those are the two hardware devices causings problems. You may want to uninstall the bluetooth adapter software also as the presence of the driver is causing an error.(last item is setuperr.log)

Cleaning these up will help. I am continuing to look for other reasons, but the setuperr.log points to these items.  

• Edited by Nano Warp Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:50 PM corrected reference link
    • Proposed as answer by Jackal696 Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:48 PM
  • When the advisor says compatible device it doesn't guarantee that you'll really have drivers or it won't take some work to get it running.

Another try, leave the disk out and select the setup from the boot screen after the changes that I suggested.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:05 PM
  • opps definantly the wrong button ...lol early morning

ok i have watched this go on long enough Narto you have 32 bit ult OEM you can not do an inplace upgrade at all. why this other guy is making you uninstall software from your vista install is beyond imagination.....because you wont be using any drivers or programs from that install at all. just files

you mentioned you installed a second HHD... so once again i would assume it's bigger and newwer than the drive your vista is on.

so use that second HHD as your win7 OS system disk.... what i mean is install to that drive but before you do pull that Vista HHD or disconnect it. if you have SATA HHD's make sure your system drive is in SATA_0 on your mobo. if it's an IDE drive make sure you have Cable select and put it at the end of the ribbon cable comming from your mobo.

set your bios to default, then still in bios make sure your DVD drive is #1 to boot then the system(or what will be your system drive) is set to boot 2nd... the others may be disabled if you wish.

now while still in bios put in your dvd disk of win7 32bit OEM which is once again not an upgrade.

disconnect the network cable from the computer it will not be used til you go into win7 anyway ..now this step should have been done before you started the machine.... but now worries because you read this whole procedure before you started right????

so when you get to the place where it says where do you want to install windows you should see that new HHD and you should wipe that drive and use "new" this will make two partitions one is 100mb system reserve and the other will be where you install win7

try it man..... if it don't work you can always put in or hook the other drive and still go on with nano nonsence

windows 7 should and probably will find you net driver because it's a pretty common adapter, update after that and it will find your X1300 card

ppl want to make going to win 7 harder than it is ...... you can ask me any questions if your confused about something. and yes you will have to install all your programs from scratch no getting around that one.... if you wanted to keep them all you should have purchased a win7 retail upgrade..... also it is illeagal for you to install an OEM on a old machine they are meant for new builds

by the way your welcome

• Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:43 PM
  • by the way if you believe your DVD drive is the fault you can also install win7 from a usb thumb drive if your mobo can support it (to make one google it), try a friends DVD drive or an external.and next time you should be telling ppl exactly what software and hardware you have and not telling little peices here and there or it may cause misinformation getting to you, not your fault cause probably you didn't realize.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:54 PM
  • ok i have watched this go on long enough Narto you have 32 bit ult OEM you can not do an inplace upgrade at all. why this other guy is making you uninstall software from your vista install is beyond imagination.....because you wont be using any drivers or programs from that install at all. just files

Jackal696,

Thanks for this. Simply stating that the OEM disk cannot be used for an upgrade in your first post would have saved a lot of time. As I stated earlier, your helpful assistance is always appreciated.

I confirmed that fact here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

excerpt and quote from Carey Frisch, MVP, Moderator

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Carey Frisch

=========================================================================================================

Nart,

Good News: You now know the reason it stops. Bad News: You need to prepare to migrate your data, clean install, and reinstall all of your applications, or purchase a RETAIL upgrade disk.

Thanks again Jackal696. :-) I have never attempted an upgrade from an OEM disk, always clean installs. Didn't know that. But, not illegal to install OEM on any machine. The installer must provide support. http://oem.microsoft.com/script/ContentPage.aspx?pageid=552846#faq3

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Quote "Thanks for this. Simply stating that the OEM disk cannot be used for an upgrade in your first post would have saved a lot of time. As I stated earlier, your helpful assistance is always appreciated." Unquote

once again you have a very poor attitude.... and old narto didn't say it was a OEM version until later in his posts... seems you don't read so well either.... maybe thats also something to be said for your arrogance towards anyone with a different idea than you en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrogance

Many readers tell me they bought that software and installed it on their own new (or old) PC, happily saving a significant chunk of change in the process. According to Microsoft, they are violating the terms of the OEM System Builder license agreement, which says, in convoluted language, that you must install the software using the OEM Preinstallation Kit and then resell the PC to a third party. If you install that software on your own PC, you don’t have a “genuine” copy of Windows.

above taken from this website http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561

Sorry but mods don't know everthing either.... and i don't either

not to say you can't do what you like behind closed doors... thats not my problem.... you just have to deal with MS about any issues arising.

if your a system builder and refurb an old pc sure you can install an OEM then sell it to yer customer

below taken from the website you gave:

Q. Can a system builder install Microsoft OEM software on a refurbished computer system, which may include branded PCs (e.g., Hewlett-Packard, Compaq, etc.)?

A. Yes, as long as the system builder complies with the OEM System Builder License requirements for preinstallation and distribution of the OEM Microsoft software licenses, and the customer accepts the End User Software License Terms. Get more information about the OEM System Builder License.

but sorry he's not selling the pc to someone else and he's not a system builder either

one more thing ... these online stores or whereever regular joes are buying these OEM's, really it's not the average joe's fault because the stores shouldn't be selling them to anyone who isn't a system builder in the first place.

really unless you call MS yourself, ppl are going to make suggestions about what is legal or not

just try to be more open to others ideas, because if you were he would be playing on his win7 right now... probably.... maybe?? lmao!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:37 PM
  • so that is a big change ??? but i do recall that i mentioned that i have the OEM from before .

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:34 PMNart78 Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

You cannot vote on your own post

Hi Nano,

i don`t know what the RAID for to be honest with you,

i have Win 7 OEM 32-bit.

but am not blaming anyone for anything, do you guys suggest that i need to return the WIN7 ?? because i don`t think they will return it back .. bugger

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:13 AM
  • guys this is the website that i purchased it from and i think that they are missleading customers by false advertising , don`t you guys agree

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

i have sent them an email statint that and asking for a swap or a refund .

so the version that i have to buy is the Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit retail ? is that right ?

i realy appreciate your help both Nano and Jackal

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Nart,

I was not aware of the fact that an OEM disk wouldn't perform an upgrade. After Jackal's comment, I researched it, and 99% confirmed it. I am not MSFT. 

You will need the drivers for the network adapter and have to deal with the X1300, but the computer will upgrade.  

You can use an Upgrade Version (less cost) or the Full Retail version, greatest cost. Yes, 32-bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-considerations.aspx Other questions area.

You haven't activated the OEM version, so you can use it for a clean install or you could resell it. Usually, software is not returnable once opened. The link is to the store front only. The product description only shows OEM. Buyer beware. Sales personnel may not know either. I didn't see an upgrade or retail version listed. You want to perform an in-place upgrade, not move to a newer OS (upgrade)

Also, move your public documents on Skydrive to a private folder, but save them there.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Hey Jackal,

One of yer more succinct posts. It must have been yer prosaic slanguage that caused the misunderstanding of yer helpful first post. (the upgrade is stuck, so get yer disk and clean install *hmmm shakes head*) lmao!

here's a new one for ya: upgrading windows before motherboard change. You take that one.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:41 PM
  • narto  .....you most likely already opened the disk because you have been trying to install....it's your choice not mine to make.... your x1300 will be an windows update(legacy device) network adaptor well either download the driver for it before or if you have access to another computer do it if win7 can't see your net adpt. same with any storage drivers if the install cannot see your drive off the get go...as you can see this other guy can't let things go when he gets something wrong(must work at best lie or some other chop shop called a computer store) .... and my next post narto was telling you ...you can't install an OEM this way ......if you look at the posts .....anyway

doing a clean install you should have min. issues if you do... post it

just try what my last install post was and you should be posting in win7.. should be lol

Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:01 PM