none
Vista Problem - All Programs in EXE File Type are opening in Windows Media

Question

• Need expert assistance!!!

After installing GoToMeeting Codec, all my programs in EXE File opens up Windows Media Player with Error Message
    "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file".

All the affected programs include IE Browser, Mozilla Browser, Microsoft Programs (Word, Excel, Frontpage).

Found that the properties of all my EXE files show Target Type as "Windows Media Player", instead of "exe" type.

Before this happen, I installed the codec bcos encountered error message "C00D10D1" while using Windows Media Player. "Codec is missing - Windows Media Player cannot play the file bcos the G2M3 codec is not installed on your computer.
    Windows Media directed me to www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?&Codec... to download GoToMeeting Codec Version 3.0.

Tried to uninstall the codec, but cannot find it in the list of Add/Remove Programs.
    Go to properties of the EXE files to change the default program, but "change" option not available.

Go to Default Programs and click on "Set Program Acess and Computer defaults", but it opens up Media Player too. So cannot make any changes.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:46 AM

All replies

• have this same problem but first with Internet Explorer attempting to "open" all the .exe programs ... and then after tring to "fix" the problem ... now Word attempts to open the .exe when launched ...

I ran down some answers through Google but lost them ...

the problem seems to be that you have "associated" the .exe file extension with a specific program (in your case media center) ... this is that lovely helper that pops up when you try to open an "unknown" extension program and the default is to use your selected program to open all files of this extension ...

I think this happens by mistake or somehow automatically when downloading some exe file or something (I believe it was a java updatate here)

if I find my solution I will post ... for now go to the Run option off of the start button and "run" your program ... you will need it's name or browse to it

that seems to work for me ..

thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:05 AM