none
Windows Keeps Shutting Down On It's Own

Question

• A friend brought me her desktop computer to check out, but I'm kind'a confused to how to fix her problem. It seems to work smoothly except for the fact that it shuts down after no more than 15 minutes. I ran CCleaner to check for registry errors. There were a few, but it fixed them. Then I tried using Avast! to check for virus', but it shuts down before it can complete the scan. The programs set to auto-load at startup are minimal as well as legit. The computer is in good condition and is rather new. It was built to run Windows XP, but it has plenty of hard drive space and RAM for Windows 7. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did this issue occurs with Windows XP? Please check the hardware and driver is compatible with Windows 7 or not, you can check it on Windows 7 Compatibility Center

Please try to update BIOS, and login with Clean Boot or Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs. Also close Windows update, check CPU temperature in BIOS, check if there are logs in Event Viewer.

Use the following steps to disable auto restart:

1. Click "Start", in start search bar, input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery". option.

3. Clear the “Automatically Restart” option.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 01, 2010 6:19 AM