none
no sound in windows media player (vista)

Question

•  

i do not hear sound in wmp 11 when playing songs or videos. i hear sound with rhapsody and with every thing else.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your information.

According to your description, I would suggest that upgrade your audio driver to newest version ( as I know, it is v.6.10.0.5511, A04).

Also, please go to Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, highlight Speakers, Properties tab, and disabled all enhancements as a test.

I hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may due to several reasons. We need more information about exact symptom, for example, the format of file you are trying to play, the model of your sound card and the error message in Windows Media Player 11.

Also, the following KB article may be helpful, for your reference:

You do not hear any sound in Windows Media Player 11 when you connect speakers or headphones to an audio jack
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=944490

By the way, you may like to upgrade your sound card driver or try some other player as a test.

Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:21 AM
  • Thank You for helping, I have a 6 month old Dell E520 with Vista Ulitimate, my sound card is a Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC, the driver date is 1/12/07, the driver version is 6.10.0.5343, the file format that i am trying to play is WMA, and i get no error message. When i try to play a song or video, the visualization/video will play but the bar at the bottom that says the song name and the songs progress doesn't move. If I slide the bar, the time and everything changes, but still no sound.

Thank You

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your information.

According to your description, I would suggest that upgrade your audio driver to newest version ( as I know, it is v.6.10.0.5511, A04).

Also, please go to Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, highlight Speakers, Properties tab, and disabled all enhancements as a test.

I hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, December 24, 2007 9:13 AM
  • What site did you get version v.6.10.0.5511, A04 for SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC ?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Here is the link, for your reference:

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R157052&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_E520&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=209657

I hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:32 AM
  • Hello I am so happy I found this site! I have a compaq laptop which has sound for everything except when I play a DVD. I have adjusted the computer volume, the media player volume, hooked up speakers nothing, no sound. I can see the movie playing but hear nothing and when I click the system volume and adjust it I hear it beep. My windows media player is version 11. I dont know what else to try? Any suggestions? Could my DVD drive be defective? Thanks for any help... Jana

Sunday, April 06, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

You may like to upgrade your audio driver at first before we going further to narrow down the root cause. The issue also could be due to that you have no audio codec for the specific DVD. If possible, you can try to using another media player software as a test.

Hope it helps.

Monday, April 07, 2008 9:23 AM