none
How to decrease disc space for installed windows 7

Question

• I installed windows 7 RC in my C: disc, but it was too huge, about 24GB disc space occupied! Gosh....
    I would like to save my tiny C: disc with some safe action, how can I safely?
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:41 AM

Answers

• The page file is managed by the system according to how much virtual memory and disk space you have. It may be larger than needed and you could reduce it to a user set size rather than the size delegated by the system.

If you don't use the hibernate feature you may be able to delete the hiberfill file. Ronnie, please correct me if I am wrong on that last one.
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 6:29 AM

All replies

• I installed windows 7 RC in my C: disc, but it was too huge, about 24GB disc space occupied! Gosh....
    I would like to save my tiny C: disc with some safe action, how can I safely?
    Hi

Something isn't right with that install? That install is at least 3x the size of even a large typical install.

Did you perform an upgrade install over a version of Vista or a clean install?
    Are you dual booting or is Windows 7 the only OS on the system?
    If you are dual booting, is Windows 7 installed to a separate hard drive or a separate partition on the same drive as Vista/XP?

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I installed OS in C.
    There are some folder generated as below
    1. Perflog   0byte
    2. Program Files about 400MB
    3. Program Files (x86) about 700MB
    4. PragramData about 20M
    5. Document and setting:  Locked and unaccessed, I cannot figure out how about the volume.
    6. Users about 300MB
    7. Windows ----------this is the biggest folder, it is about 11GB...............
    8. Pagefile.sys  about 8GB
    .and some other folders.

Why Windows folder and pagefile so big???
    and I do not how big the Document and Setting folder...
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:54 AM
  • The page file is managed by the system according to how much virtual memory and disk space you have. It may be larger than needed and you could reduce it to a user set size rather than the size delegated by the system.

If you don't use the hibernate feature you may be able to delete the hiberfill file. Ronnie, please correct me if I am wrong on that last one.
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 6:29 AM
  • It is a new installation, no any dual os.

Monday, August 03, 2009 5:40 AM
  • The following two file/folder are so sososososo large.
    I do not think it is an interested feature for users.

How to work around with them??? Need help.
    My C-drive is not so big.

7. Windows ----------this is the biggest folder, it is about 11GB...............
    8. Pagefile.sys  about 8GB
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:34 AM
  • OK.
    You can't do much about the windows folder - it contains important files required for the system to run properly and 11 gigabytes is normal size.

You can decrease the pagefile.sys by following these steps:

Type 'system' into the start menu search box and click on it.
    In the upper left click 'advanced system settings'.
    Where it says performance click 'settings'.
    Up on top click 'advanced'.
    Where it says vitual memory click 'change'.
    At the top remove the checkmark in the box that says 'automatically manage paging file size for all drives'
    Select the drive with your system at the top.
    Below that select "custom size".
    Enter a value for initial size and maximum size.
    Click set and click ok.

Tip: if the size you choose for your pageing file is to small you may notice decreased performance!
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Monday, August 10, 2009 3:58 AM
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:05 AM
  • OK.
    You can't do much about the windows folder - it contains important files required for the system to run properly and 11 gigabytes is normal size.

You can decrease the pagefile.sys by following these steps:

Type 'system' into the start menu search box and click on it.
    In the upper left click 'advanced system settings'.
    Where it says performance click 'settings'.
    Up on top click 'advanced'.
    Where it says vitual memory click 'change'.
    At the top remove the checkmark in the box that says 'automatically manage paging file size for all drives'
    Select the drive with your system at the top.
    Below that select "custom size".
    Enter a value for initial size and maximum size.
    Click set and click ok.

Tip: if the size you choose for your pageing file is to small you may notice decreased performance!

Yes, this action works well. Big thanks.

Another question: How many disc space will be occupied for a full-installation of Windows-7 RC?
    It looks like about 10GB, right? (Do not count the virtual memory in)

Monday, August 10, 2009 3:49 AM
  • The windows folder should normally be just under 11 GB.

Monday, August 10, 2009 4:05 AM
  • I have same issue...
    mine is like 30GB... this is insane.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:39 PM
  • I have same issue...
    mine is like 30GB... this is insane.

Hi Yanayu

Details?

Did you perform an in-place upgrade install over Vista or a clean install over Vista or XP?

If you performed a clean install, did you format the drive first? Do you see a  Windows.old  sub-folder folder in the C:\Windows folder?

Is this 32-Bit or 64-Bit?

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:30 AM
  • I have the same problem.  Just installed a new copy of Windows 7 on an 80GB SSD drive.  I am concerned with the installation size. 

This was a clean install.  I let windows format the hard drive before installing the OS. 

C: currently has 29GB being used.  Windows folder is 11GB. 

Pagefile.sys is 12.5GB. 

I followed the steps above, attempting to reduce the pagefile.sys to max 1000MB, minimun 100MB.  PC has 12GB Physical RAM, so I don't see why i need a large pagefile.sys.  Will this new setting cause me trouble?

Also, 12.5GB + 11GB = 23.5GB, which is 5.5GB less than 29GB.  Where is the extra 5.5 GB?

Please help.  Thank you. 
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Same here with  me, but i did a little tweak,

Open My Computer- Organize- Folder Options- View- Uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files and Hide Extensions for known File Types.

Go to C:\ Drive now and you will see two big file hyberfill.sys and pagefile.sys.

First turn off the hybernation mode off. Procedure for Windows Vista and Windows 7. This procedure requires that you be an administrator and uses the command line. Start | All Programs | Accessories Right click on the Command Prompt entry and choose Run as Administrator from the context menu that pops up (OK any UAC queries about doing this).A Command Prompt window should open.At the command prompt (where the flashing cursor is) type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press the Enter key.

Now reduce pagefile rigght click My computer - properties - Advanced system Settings - click on- Advanced- Performance setting Tab - again advanced - change virtual memory - keep  paging size to 16 MB or no paging for all drives and click the set tab for all drive to make changes effectively , I did this because i dont use paging of hard drive.

My Windows Size is now 6 GB as against earlier of 13 GB.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:46 AM
  • you are right man, see my post by SBJOE...
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:47 AM