none
Win Media Player Firefox Plugin installation path

Question

• [PC: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit]

How can I specify where to install Win Media Player Firefox Plugin?

When I install it (whether I go to the MS website to download it, or click on "download missing plugin" link in browser) it always installs into D Drive (D:\P_Files)

Friday, October 28, 2011 6:36 AM

Answers

• Copy or move the file that was created to the Firebox Program Files|PLUGINS folder.

If there is no such folder, create one.  The file may be named NPDSPLAY.dll.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:58 PM
  • My main reason to ask this question is that I don't like the plugin folder to be in D Drive, because I sometimes reformat the D drive.

As noted, you can copy the plugin.  In fact, FF may find it in your Chrome or Dragon plugin folders, because it has a SEARCHPLUGINS feature.

Here, there is no FF plugin folder, yet clicking on TOOLS|ADDONS|PLUGINS lists every plugin that is installed on this PC.  It sees them.

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:00 PM
  • OK, I will just set the PFIles folder to hidden now. But the problem is totally unresolved. Every time after reformatting D Drive I have to reinstall the plugin (for all browsers). No matter I install it from FF, Chrome, Dragon or IE the plugin goes into D Drive.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:53 PM

All replies

• Copy or move the file that was created to the Firebox Program Files|PLUGINS folder.

If there is no such folder, create one.  The file may be named NPDSPLAY.dll.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Sorry, but the same plugin is used by Google Chrome and Dragon Browser. So if I move the folder at least these two browsers cant use it anymore.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Sorry, but the same plugin is used by Google Chrome and Dragon Browser. So if I move the folder at least these two browsers cant use it anymore.
    Do not move any folders;  simply copy the file to the FF plugins folder.  If that folder doesn't exist, create it.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:45 PM
    Do not move any folders;  simply copy the file to the FF plugins folder.  If that folder doesn't exist, create it.
    My main reason to ask this question is that I wont like the plugin folder to be in D Drive, because I sometimes reformat the D drive.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:03 PM
  • My main reason to ask this question is that I don't like the plugin folder to be in D Drive, because I sometimes reformat the D drive.

As noted, you can copy the plugin.  In fact, FF may find it in your Chrome or Dragon plugin folders, because it has a SEARCHPLUGINS feature.

Here, there is no FF plugin folder, yet clicking on TOOLS|ADDONS|PLUGINS lists every plugin that is installed on this PC.  It sees them.

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Dragon or Chrome does not have plugin folder. It seems that they get their plugins depending on the Windows registry. I even tried setting D drive to Read only, and then run Win Media Player Plugin setup -- it says D drive is inaccessible and cant install.
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:11 PM
  • OK, I will just set the PFIles folder to hidden now. But the problem is totally unresolved. Every time after reformatting D Drive I have to reinstall the plugin (for all browsers). No matter I install it from FF, Chrome, Dragon or IE the plugin goes into D Drive.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I have the same problem, and it is frustrating me greatly. A solution would be appreciated.
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:32 PM