none
oobefldr.dll Problem

Question

•  

Hi everyone,

I have encountered a problem on fresh installs of Vista. A few times now on first bootup I get the following message:

"RunDLL

Error loading oobefldr.dll

oobefldr.dll is not a valid Win32 application"

I have identified oobefldr.dll as the Welcome Centre but when I tried to run it I get the same weeoe message. As the welcome centre tries to start everytime Vista runs, and I cant disable it without running it first, I'm left with an error message every time I startup.

I did take it out of startup for a while but then I got the annoying message saying not everything had started.

Anyone got any ideas?

Regards,

Dani

Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi TigerX81,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if third-party programs such as anti-virus software conflict with Welcome Center.

I suggest performing a Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue.

How to perform Clean Boot:

=================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

What’s the result?

If you would like to disable Welcome Center, you can try the following method:

1. Click Start, type Regedit and press Enter.

2. Navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

3. Right click on WindowsWelcomeCenter and select Delete.

Restart the computer and test the result.

If the issue persists, please send me the HiJackThis.log file for further research using the following steps.

1. Please download the Internet Explorer analyzer HiJackThis from the following link:

http://www.techspot.com/download317.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 

2. Double click the downloaded file to run HiJackThis. (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.).

3. In the HiJackThis window, click "Do a system scan and save a logfile". (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.).

4. HiJackThis will scan your system and generate a log file in Notepad. Please close Notepad and locate the log file.

Note: It will be saved in the same folder with HijackThis.exe. For example, if you run HijJackThis.exe from the Desktop, you will find the log on the Desktop.

5. Please send the log file to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

oobefldr.dll Problem

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2393835&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:25 AM

All replies

•  

Hi TigerX81,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if third-party programs such as anti-virus software conflict with Welcome Center.

I suggest performing a Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue.

How to perform Clean Boot:

=================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

What’s the result?

If you would like to disable Welcome Center, you can try the following method:

1. Click Start, type Regedit and press Enter.

2. Navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

3. Right click on WindowsWelcomeCenter and select Delete.

Restart the computer and test the result.

If the issue persists, please send me the HiJackThis.log file for further research using the following steps.

1. Please download the Internet Explorer analyzer HiJackThis from the following link:

http://www.techspot.com/download317.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 

2. Double click the downloaded file to run HiJackThis. (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.).

3. In the HiJackThis window, click "Do a system scan and save a logfile". (Note: If there is a notification message, please click OK.).

4. HiJackThis will scan your system and generate a log file in Notepad. Please close Notepad and locate the log file.

Note: It will be saved in the same folder with HijackThis.exe. For example, if you run HijJackThis.exe from the Desktop, you will find the log on the Desktop.

5. Please send the log file to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

oobefldr.dll Problem

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2393835&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:25 AM
  • Hi TigerX81,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:26 AM
  • Hello Tim Quan,

i have the same Problem with the oobefldr.dll on a Window Server 2008 Standard.

Help this task also on WS08?

Thanks,

FJE84
    Friday, June 05, 2009 6:11 AM