none
Change the icon of a printer

Question

• Hi, I've just installed a new HP printer on my compaq pc (windows 7 64 bit).

In the panel control - devices and printers, I would have expected that the icon representing the printer be specific to my printer model. On the contrary, it is a standard printer icon (I guess from a standard windows set of icons). Since i have no problem in creating a specific icon of my specific printer to replace the standard one, How can i do that?

I have look into c:\users\myname\appdata\local\microsoft\devicemetadata\dmrcache\en-us (and similar) and found some of the installed printers but not all, and particularly not the one i was trying to change.

Where  I should i look for?

Best regards

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:07 PM

Answers

• I have look into c:\users\myname\appdata\local\microsoft\devicemetadata\dmrcache\en-us (and similar) and found some of the installed printers but not all, and particularly not the one i was trying to change.

Hi,

Please make sure you have add the printer to Windows 7. You can use Print Test Page check if the printer is added correctly.

Based on my knowledge if you add the printer correct. You can see this device information in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Device Metadata\dmrccache\en-us\xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx

Then replace the printer Icon.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:49 AM