none
Windows 7 - No sound

Question

• I've installed WIndows 7 along with my old XP. It seems to be working fine, except for one problem - no sound at all. I've tried to find different solutions without success: I've tried to reinstall the drivers, downloaded latest Realtek drivers for WIn7, sownloaded latest XP drivers and installed them in the compitability mode - nothing helped. Sound works as usual for XP.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Vismut,

Since the sound works properly in the dual boot Windows XP, the issue should be related to the sound card driver or sound settings in Windows 7. Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

First, please install the latest chipset update for Windows 7 from ASUS. If the issue persists, please move on to reinstall the audio card:

1. Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2. Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3. Right click on the sound card and then click Update Driver Software.

4. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Does the sound work now? If not, according to ASUS's website, the latest audio driver for this motherboard is for Windows Vista. You can download and install this Windows Vista driver in the Compatibility Mode to check the result.

If the issue still exists, please run the Sound troubleshooting tool by going to Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Troubleshoot audio playback -> follow the wizard to troubleshoot the issue.

However, if the issue still exists, you can contact ASUS directly to confirm if there is any updated audio driver for Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 08, 2010 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:38 AM

All replies

• So you're dual booting, you did an upgrade, what exactly did you do ;)  

Ok now, what machine make, model and model # do you have (please be specific)  What specific operating system did you install and if its 32 or 64bit. If this isn't dual boot, is this XP Mode installed (virtual)? (at this point assuming dual booting) Have you tried going into Device Manager and clicking on the device and selecting update drivers from Windows Update Catalog?
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Yes, I am dual booting, I've installed Windows Ultimate 64. I've tried updating driver from Windows Update and directly from Realtek. Here's the general info on my machine and more detailed on my sound card (Taken from PC Wizard on XP):
     <<< System Summary >>>
    > Manufacturer : MINSK-INFORM 2007
    > Mainboard : Asus P5K > Chipset : Intel P31/P35
    > Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 @ 2833 MHz
    > Physical Memory : 3072 MB (3 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
    > Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 8800 GT
    > Hard Disk : ST3500320AS (500 GB)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S
    > Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 19 inches
    > Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet Controller
    > Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
    > DirectX : Version 9.0c
    <<< Multimedia >>>
    > Device Audio : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
    >> General Information Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Version : 1.0
    Output Stream : 4
    Input Stream : 4
    Bidirectionnal Stream : No
    64-bit support : Yes
    Mode : High Definition Audio (HDA)
    Manufacturer : Realteck
    Codec ID : 10EC0883
    Codec Revision : 1.000
    • Edited by Vismut Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:17 PM
  • I've installed WIndows 7 along with my old XP. It seems to be working fine, except for one problem - no sound at all. I've tried to find different solutions without success: I've tried to reinstall the drivers, downloaded latest Realtek drivers for WIn7, sownloaded latest XP drivers and installed them in the compitability mode - nothing helped. Sound works as usual for XP.
    That means if I boot XP, everything is fine, if I boot Win7 - No sound. Tried all the latest drivers so I wonder what else could it be? Maybe some dual booting sound problem, teh... Guess I'll be satying with old XP...
    • Edited by Vismut Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:42 PM
  • I've installed Windows 7 along with my old XP. It seems to be working fine, except for one problem - no sound at all. I've tried to find different solutions without success: I've tried to reinstall the drivers, downloaded latest Realtek drivers for Win7 , downloaded latest XP drivers and installed them in the compatibility mode - nothing helped. Sound works as usual for XP.
    That means if I boot XP, everything is fine, if I boot Win7 - No sound. Tried all the latest drivers so I wonder what else could it be? Maybe some dual booting sound problem, teh... Guess I'll be staying with old XP...
    I've tried many offered solutions on the inet, installing XP drivers was one of them, didn't work though, as any other.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Hi Vismut,

Since the sound works properly in the dual boot Windows XP, the issue should be related to the sound card driver or sound settings in Windows 7. Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

First, please install the latest chipset update for Windows 7 from ASUS. If the issue persists, please move on to reinstall the audio card:

1. Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

3. Right click on the sound card and then click Update Driver Software.

4. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Does the sound work now? If not, according to ASUS's website, the latest audio driver for this motherboard is for Windows Vista. You can download and install this Windows Vista driver in the Compatibility Mode to check the result.

If the issue still exists, please run the Sound troubleshooting tool by going to Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Troubleshoot audio playback -> follow the wizard to troubleshoot the issue.

However, if the issue still exists, you can contact ASUS directly to confirm if there is any updated audio driver for Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 08, 2010 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. Installing the latest chipset update didn't help. The drivers from the ASUS website were the same from the Realtek that I've already tried, so they didn't work. I'll contact ASUS, but it seems they'll point me to the latest Win7 Drivers from Realtek which I've already tried.
    I'm more and more convinced that there is some weird problem with dual booting, but I'm not risking to get rid of my old working XP :)
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hi Vismut,

My machine at home is Windows XP and Windows 7 dual boot as well. However, the sound works properly.

Was there any issue found after running the Troubleshooting tool? If the issue still exists, is there any error code in the Device Manager? You can check it by the steps below:

3. Right click on the sound card and then click Properties.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Well, if I troubleshoot with realtek drivers for Win7 - there is no issue, if I do with Windows default drivers  - it says that my speakers are unplugged (and ofc they ARE plugged). And there isn't any error code in the Device Manager, it says that it works fine.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Please try the following steps:

1.     Click "Start", input "mmsys.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Click the "Playback" tab.

3.     Right-click on the blank space, and then check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

4.     Choose the default sound playback device, and click "Apply".

5.     Double click the output device, on "Levels" tab, check if the sound is mute and then click Apply.

What is the result? If the issue still exists, test if the issue occurs using other headphone or speakers.

Friday, January 22, 2010 2:23 AM
  • With the latest Realtek drivers for Win7 there are only 2 devices - speakers and digital output. If I connect headphones, the driver says that smth was plugged in but doesn't show that in devices. If I unplug speakers, it's properly shown in the device list.
    If I do that with default drivers - one device is active - digital output and speakers and headphones are off, plugging/unplugging them gives nothing.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 10:01 AM
  • I have the same problem!

Microsoft/other companies dont seem to be addressing this problem.. ive checked almost everywhere and there just doesnt seem to be a solution.

Very frustrating! And weird.. theres no reason why the sound shouldnt work
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I hope we will find the solution. But it is really frustrating because almost all methods to fix this issue were tried.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 4:44 PM
  • I must have misunderstood you, but there was no sound since I installed Win7, and since then I've tried deleting and installing different drivers several times. Or do you mean deleting audio drivers on XP?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:30 PM
  • I'm also struggling with this. I installed Windows 7, updated all drivers, tried everything I read in the forums. No sound! Windows sees my Speakers as unplugged.  So I reformatted, installed a dual boot with ubuntu 9.10. I thought maybe my on board sound card was fried or something but I do have sound in Ubuntu. Any help would be appreciated!
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:13 AM
  • have done this, Speakers are shown as "not plugged in" My default device  is set as Digital Audio (S/PDIF). I have no option to change Default device. My speakers are plugged in and volume is turned on, no sound is muted. I have dual booted with ubuntu 9.10 and have sound when in Ubuntu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:20 AM
  • This won't help either, and there is no programs that could mess with audio, because I didn't install any except the drivers.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:00 AM
  • I have exact same problem.I've checked all drivers and they're all up to date and working,in fact everything says it's working but still no audio.I tried troubleshooting audio playback and that tells me there are no faults.Does anybody know what the problem is?!!!!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Well,  I have uninstalled my WinXP. Didn't help. Installed Vista - no sound. Installed XP again - no sound! Wtf?
    Now I'm with Win7 desperately trying to find a solution for this audio :(
    Monday, February 01, 2010 4:44 PM
  • I installed on a clean partition, and I don't think audio device is damaged since while I was dual booting, everything worked fine on XP
    Monday, February 01, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Don't have another disk, will try to find one.
    What do you mean by chip? Audio chip? Audio on P5K is Realtek 8-channel HD Audio Codec
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Well ofc I've tried realtek drivers at first, didn't help.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I have somewhat reverse problem.

- My toshiba has XP first.  I installed Win 7 Ultimate and dual boot.
    - Win 7 is default.  It has sounds.  When I boot from XP, I got no sound.
    - I restore my XP partition from Acronis True Image back to XP partition.  Sound is ok but I can not boot from Win 7.
    - Do a Win7 repair from Win 7 installation.  Boot from Win7 (no XP selection etc no dual boot).
    - use EasyBCD 1.7.2 to recreate dual boot, set XP as default.  Boot from XP, sound works ok.
      boot from Win7 after dual boot, sounds is OK on Win 7.  Reboot and go to XP, there is no sound on XP again.

I think dual boot did something that is not initialize/reset the sound card.  I have to try to turn off to see what the deal it.

Going try it after this message to see if cold boot work.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:26 PM
    Subject: SRX1125880584ID - No sounds on HDMI 2nd TV monitor

Hi Jon,

This is Rea with Microsoft Windows Technical Support. 

It was my pleasure to work with you on your Windows service request 1125880584.  I hope that you were happy with the service provided to you.

Based on our last conversation it appears that this service request is resolved and ready to be archived.  If this is not correct or if you are not happy with the support we've provided please let us know as soon as possible.  My goal is to ensure that your experience with Microsoft Windows Technical Support leaves you pleased with our products and services.

Here is a summary of the key points of the service request for your records:

ACTION         :Jon, you were having problem getting sound on HDMI monitor TV.
    RESULT          :Unable to play sounds.
    CAUSE           :Sounds settings was not set properly.
    RESOLUTION :We successfully played sounds by setting the SDIF interface as default device. 

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you.  If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, Ckhoree, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.  You may reach my manager by sending an email to v-6ckya@mssales.microsoft.com

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Technical Support.

Sincerely,

Rea
    v-6rsant@mssales.microsoft.com

Working Hrs 0700 - 1600 PST

*When replying please include your service request number, name, email address and phone number.  Thank you.*

You asked us to make everyday tasks faster and easier, to make your PC work the way you want it to, and to make it possible to do new things. And that's exactly what we've done. Learn more about Windows 7®!

LOTTA WORK WE ALL DID AND THIS GIRL HAD THE ANSWER R
    TRY AND SEE IF IT WORKS

LET ME KNOW
    CATON

LET HER AND HER SUPERVISOR KNOW LINKS ABOVE
    CATON
    • Proposed as answer by caton Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:59 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:59 AM
  • I have same problem before and solved right now. I also install XP first and win7 later for dual boot system. When I login win7, it shows up blue screen. After win7 fix it, I lost sound or network. I guess installing some driver(sound) on both XP and win7 will cause problem.

The interesting part is that when I install win7, the sound is good, even if I don't install any driver on my Asus P7P55D-E.  I guess the blue screen is because of hardware problem, so win7 isolate sound hardware and let me boot in, but there is no sound.

After I don't install any drivers in win7 when the hardware is work, all the problems solved.

1) I install XP first and don't install any sound drivers, so it is no sound.

2) I install win7, the sound is there without install any driver.

3) I go back to install sound driver in XP and I got sound there.

Now, both systems have sound and no blue screen.

Hopefully, this will help.

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:01 AM
  • I have the same problem (duale boot XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate).

I can not believe MS does not address this problem properly..... Very frustrating.

Saturday, September 04, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Yes, this was really annoying problem... and it is still.. but I got workaround!

My problem was with Windows 7 64-bit and no sounds via HDMI. Tried everything and I hope that somebody will fix this in software...

My workaround: Problem is caused because there is two sound systems in the same computer, so need to disable other, means disable (Intel) HD Audio (Azalia) from Device Manager or from BIOS. This also disables your headphones and microphones, but you can enable those back when needed. So, you should have HDMI only in Playback devices.

Then test sounds, if not working yet (HDMI is still unplugged) then step two:

HDMI needs handshake signal, otherwise it is not working and reboot does not help. You need to put your computer in sleep mode and then wake up it. This method gives new fresh handshake signal via HDMI and wakes up also sounds. When you need to reboot, then you need to put it also in sleep once so you get sounds after reboot.

Hope this saves somebody's others nerves not to burn. 

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:48 AM
  • 1. I had XP SP3.

2. I installed Win 7 over the same partition.

3. I installed all the hardware, applications, and the latest drivers.

4. I have no sound whatsoever...from speakers, headphones, and system.

5. My hardware have been working properly and are connected properly and there is no silly mistakes like "muted volume"

6. I have tried installing Fix It Beta, but got some Windows Installer Error. I can uninstall/install some apps but cant uninstall/install some.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:45 PM
  • I have a problem with the speakers muted at start up

I have windows 7 and snow leopard on a macbook pro

The speakers work fine on the mac but mute on win 7

I cured my problem by going to contol panel

sounds

click on speakers

properties

disable all enhancements

It cured the problem for me

I hope that this will be of help

• Proposed as answer by portyway100 Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Dear Linda,

I Thank u so much......Even i faced the same problem like vismuth...i Followed your above mentioned steps and i could do that

It is very helpful.....

Regards,

Priya

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for the write up on this it was very useful and explained what to do in this situation, it is common to have xp and windows on same machine now.

cheers

online mastering

Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:16 AM