none
Random Sims 3 crashing

Question

• Sometimes after a while of playing The Sims 3 on W7, the game just suddenly closes as if I pressed alt+f4. What's odd is that it is a very quick close. Usually a game takes several seconds to completely disappear from screen, but the Sims 3 crashes as fast as closing a browser window. There is also no error message. If it helps at all, I've noticed that this tends to happen after my sim gets some promotion.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:29 PM

Answers

• yeh, this is a really big bug in the sims 3. For a lot of players the game closes after playing for 2-5 minutes. This is not specifically a problem with win 7. I have a mac too (os x 10.6 and 10.5) and I have the same problem on both my mac and pc. My pc is xp and the game is just unplayable. At the moment its just a waiting game to see if ea releases a patch to fix this problem. Until then there is not a lot you can do. Sorry, 
    • Marked as answer by SaMcp1123 Monday, June 29, 2009 7:40 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:37 PM

All replies

• novafx,

That, I'm afraid, could be anything - there's as much a chance that the Sims 3 disagrees with Windows 7 as there it is that it disagrees with your video driver (or hardware), etc.

I'd recommend running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP or Windows Vista. To do this, right click on the program .exe and open the Properties menu, then navigate to the compatibility tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for..."

Otherwise, you may want to take this problem to the official Sims 3 forums, as it's difficult for us to support individual games here.
    -Alex
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Hello Novafx,

Right-click the Sims exe file and select Troubleshoot Compatibility and see if Windows can find a problem with you current installation.  If it recommends running in compatibility for a previous Windows version use it that way and let me know if it works out.
    -Scott
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:46 PM
  • I have no problems with the Sims 3 on Windows 7, running without any compatibility modes. So it's likely to be a problem on your side
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:10 PM
  • I'm also running Sims 3 on Windows 7 with no problems at all so I agree with Denzo. :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:35 PM
  • yeh, this is a really big bug in the sims 3. For a lot of players the game closes after playing for 2-5 minutes. This is not specifically a problem with win 7. I have a mac too (os x 10.6 and 10.5) and I have the same problem on both my mac and pc. My pc is xp and the game is just unplayable. At the moment its just a waiting game to see if ea releases a patch to fix this problem. Until then there is not a lot you can do. Sorry, 
    • Marked as answer by SaMcp1123 Monday, June 29, 2009 7:40 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I am also running Sims 3 and usually play for several hours at a time. I have never had a crash yet.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:52 PM
  • When I first installed the game, I could run it for DAYS at a time without a crash.  For the last week or so, it has these random crashes every couple of hours.  It just... disappears from my screen.  I don't remember if they started before or after I installed the most recent update, but I didn't get them at all before the FIRST update.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I run the sims 3 on windows 7 and it never used to crash now for some reason whenever I choose a family to play with it starts loading that crashes to my desktop. Its really frustrating as I am trying to put together a video :( I used to be able to leave it on all day now I cant even play it. I am sick of all these problems with the sims 3! the sims 2 never had half as much glitches and problems as the sims 3 does!!
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Hi Emily, I have a question for you. I have experienced problems playing Sims 3 also. In your "My Documents\Electronic Arts\Sims 3" folder there are what are called "cache" files in there. Have you deleted those since you've started playing Sims 3? Believe me, the frustration with this game is sometimes beyond tolerable, so I understand. I am lucky to have a sister that is always ahead of me on this game because she has more time.

Back to my question, if you haven't deleted those files and the files in the "Thumbnails" folder in "My Docs\El Arts\S 3", then you need to and the crashing will stop until those cache files become too bloated again, then it will start. The beauty of it is is that you delete them, reload the game and let it run through the movie, then new cache files are created and they don't crash the game.

Friday, June 25, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Your solution of running the Troubleshoot Compatibility might have just worked for me! First I'll say THANKS! Then I'll cross my fingers that Sims 3 keeps working with my newly acquired Windows 7 machine. It was totally crashing the computer and gave me blue screen. After I tried running in Win XP mode, I was able to play a whole day to the next with no crash; that did not happen before. Wish me luck; I'm going to try to run it more and see if it crashes.

Friday, June 25, 2010 1:51 PM
  • I tried changing the Compatibility on my game as well and it still didn't work =[. I know it cant be my graphics card, it works on all the other games that I have on my computer. Its just this one game. 
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:05 PM
  • I found a fix that worked for me at www.soulfulsims.com. Turns out the Sims 3 has memory issues or something funky like that :) I have 4GB of RAM on  Windows 7 and it works perfectly now, I've been addicted for days, LOL
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:10 PM
  • It used to work fine on my old gateway nv52 laptop, but it does what you say and closes it like a regular window almost instantly without any warning messages.  I have a nv54 laptop, almost identical to previous so I don't know what's wrong.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Sometimes after a while of playing The Sims 3 on W7, the game just suddenly closes as if I pressed alt+f4. What's odd is that it is a very quick close. Usually a game takes several seconds to completely disappear from screen, but the Sims 3 crashes as fast as closing a browser window. There is also no error message. If it helps at all, I've noticed that this tends to happen after my sim gets some promotion.

I get the exact same. my computer has more than enough grunt to handle this game and yet it closes withing 2 to 5 minutes of playing.

I run a HP Pavillion A6640a

with an upgraded power supply and a 9600GT Black Pearl in it.

My drivers are up to date, i have removed other software that is listed on their incompatibility list and yet the game still crashes 

any ideas

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Well I just have experienced this issue. I just fixed it by deleting all my installed content and downloaded stuff and it works awesome. Really shocked I had to do that first. But now it works fine and it only started after I installed things from www.thesimsresorce.com

IDK what the issue was but it is fixed now.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:43 AM
  • If you are using windows 7 x64 and you have more then 4 gig ram try this it worked on my Asus G73 for Dragon Age, Empire, Sims 3... It's all about disabling data execution prevention for the game. goto 1)Control Panel\System and Security\System 2)advanced system settings ( on the left pan) 3)Advanced (tab), in the performance area click on settings. 4)Data execution prevention (tab), select turn DEP for...exept for those i select . Put the path of your TS3.exe ( or other .exe of the game) hope this help you guys
    Friday, December 24, 2010 8:37 PM
  • DEP tweaking is what I'm going to try next.

I've been running the game with no problems before, with crazy amounts of CC, on a computer that probably could barely handle the game, I turned all the graphics down to make it work. And that was on Vista.

Now I'm on a brand new Acer Revo, windows 7, 4 gig, and I managed to edit the town with no problems, build the shell of a house with no problem, create 3 new familes no problem.... now all of a sudden I've moved the one family in and I can barely get 3 rooms painted before it crashes.

Compatibility view is being useless to me. Next step is your DEP move.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Even after changing DEP this is still giving me a problem. Gameplay itself is not a problem. It's build mode (and probably buy too, I just haven't made it that far yet.)

I'm going to evict the family and go into build mode without a resident... see how that works out.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:56 AM
  • On an old computer I used the Sims 3 worked fine. But on my new Windows 7 it just crashes and goes to a black screen after every 5-10 minutes. Then I have to restart the computer manually. It doesn't seem to happen at any particular time, just randomly. 

Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Check with EA, they have some patches out for the game now

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:00 PM
  • My computer crashes after maybe a minute or two of playing Sims 3. I have a new computer, an Asus with plenty of memory and everything. It is not a gaming computer. I have almost all the sims 3 games. I am also running Windows 8. So is it the windows 8 or is it something else. I just got through reloading all my games and I noticed my D drive is full. The sims 3 is all that is on that drive. Could that be it? I am at my wits end trying to figure it out.  Please help me.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:45 PM