none
Enabling AHCI in Sony Vaio

Question

• Hi All...

I am using Sony Vaio Laptop Model: VPCEH25EN,

Processor: Intel Core i3, 2 Gb RAM,

Graphic: NVidia Geforce 512Mb,

My Problem is that I want to enable AHCIin my system, but when I check in the BIOS, eveen in the Advanced tab there is no option of AHCI.

My Computer's BIOS is Insyde H2O 3.2 version.

Please help me for this....Thanks in Advance.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• check with Sony to see if they have an updated BIOS for you.
     "JGNair" wrote in message
    news:d2c766a0-a25a-4c3f-b0e8-2ccadb71cf4e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Hi All...
    >
    > I am using Sony Vaio Laptop Model: VPCEH25EN,
    >
    > OS: Windows 7 Ultimate,
    >
    > Processor: Intel Core i3, 2 Gb RAM,
    >
    > Graphic: NVidia Geforce 512Mb,
    >
    > My Problem is that I want to enable AHCIin my system, but when I check in
    > the BIOS, eveen in the Advanced tab there is no option of AHCI.
    >
    > My Computer's BIOS is Insyde H2O 3.2 version.
    >
    > Please help me for this....Thanks in Advance.
    >
    >

Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:15 PM
  • It is likely enabled by default.  In fact, it might even be intentional to force it on, which would explain why you don't see the option listed.

-

Either way, this would be a setting documented in the laptop's user manual/guide if it exists.  Be sure to check for it there.

• Edited by Gr8PaleAle Monday, August 13, 2012 6:12 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 6:12 PM
  • The same issue is seen in HP DV7's.  Some manufacturer's have "dumbed down" their BIOS adjustments.  They lock them to prevent things like overclocking.

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Hi JGNair,

Typically you would need to enable RAID in the SATA operation section of the BIOS before installing the OS.

Then the HDD is in AHCI, RAID ready state as a non-RAID drive. Next, Windows 7 will install the necessary Intel drivers.

You cannot change to AHCI once you have installed the OS in IDE mode. The system will not boot.

Sony may have eliminated the RAID feature from the chipset and BIOS when the system was designed.

If the feature is there, you could create a system image on an external HDD, change the BIOS and perform a system restore using the installation disk with the Windows restore utility. Windows would detect the hardware\BIOS change and add the necessary drivers during the restore process.

That's a lot of work for a small performance gain. Again, Sony may have dumbed down the chipset as previously mentioned.

Probably better to leave it in it's current state. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:00 PM