none
Error: 0xE0000100

Question

• Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation.

This error i got 2 times when trying to install Windows 7 as an upgrade to Windows XP SP2. I tried a fresh boot and it just hung at a blue screen and did nothing. Looks to me as If this new OS needs alot more work before any release is offered. This is my first time as a beta tester for windows.

Whats the problem?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Daggles,
    W7 installation has no problems if your hardware is right or your downloaded ISO image is burned right
    My first suggestion will be to check you hardware and if everything is Ok you can than try to burn the image in the slowest way which is possible, I am sure it should work fine once you check this steps,

Do not give up, you will love W7 and please do not forget , BETA means the software will have lot of work before it comes ready for sale :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Daggles,
    W7 installation has no problems if your hardware is right or your downloaded ISO image is burned right
    My first suggestion will be to check you hardware and if everything is Ok you can than try to burn the image in the slowest way which is possible, I am sure it should work fine once you check this steps,

Do not give up, you will love W7 and please do not forget , BETA means the software will have lot of work before it comes ready for sale :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:32 AM
  • I had this same error, tried re-burning, didn't help.  What did the trick was deleting the existing Windows Vista partition as well as some other Dell installed partitions and then running setup again.  Of course I had to do the partition cleanup from another OS install.  I suppose if fdisk was on the Windows 7 DVD then you could do it that way. 

Overall it sounds a lot like this issue in Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/939727

Someone better fix this one before it makes it out the door.  I would have filed a bug report, but all the details of exactly what caused it is gone now that I wiped the partitions...

• Proposed as answer by paulwin7 Friday, March 20, 2009 4:04 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Just for the statistics: I'm having the same problem. Tried build 7000, 48 and 57. ISO image is verified. I'm running Vista x64 and wanted to upgrade, but looks like I will have to clean the partition and do a fresh install.

Be careful out there.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:51 AM
  • I get the same error when upgrading from Windows 7 Build 7068 Beta to Windows 7 RC.

Tried reburning DVD
    • Proposed as answer by TYPHOON64 Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:28 PM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:29 AM
  • I was getting this error on a new install because of a glitch with Vista SP2 hang-up.

Installed new HD and everytime got to the choose install type with V64, got the error 100.

Finally installed XP Pro, made a few partitions and installed XP afterthe welcome screen put in V64 and restarted and bang no error at the install choice screen and vista installs fine.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:32 PM
  • If I read Daaggles post correctly, he was trying to upgrade from windows XP.

There is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 8gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.7 Please return to forum and post your results.
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:39 PM