Internet Explorer 10 Metro App will not launch

Question

• I can't seem to get the metro app of IE 10 to launch. When I click the live tile, it goes to the loading screen, hangs for 15 or so seconds and then returns to the start screen. 

Troubleshooting steps:

I've ensured that there are no instances of Internet Explorer running in the task manager when trying to start it,
    I've updated the graphics driver.
    I've removed IE10 from Windows using the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" option and then restored it,
    I've restored IE10 to be the default browser. 

None of these have made the slightest change in its behavior. I've also checked the event viewer and the only reference I can find to IE not loading is an information event and one error that I'm not sure is applicable

App DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID!Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default was terminated because it did not launch within its allotted time.
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Immersive-shell
    Event ID: 2486
    Task Category: 2414
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Process Lifetime Manager

The App Host failed to resolve the package URI ms-appx://microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps-8wekyb3d8bbwe/ModernMail/util/IEDebug.js due to the following error: RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND.
    Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-AppHost/Admin
    EventID: 103
    Task Category: 10
    Level: Error
    Keywords: WwaHost
    OpCode: WwaHost Operation Failed

Justin Hughes

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:05 PM

All replies

• I am experiencing the same thing with the same Event (2486) in the Application Log.  Also, most other metro apps will not launch (they will display a launch screen and timeout and return to the Metro Start screen.

I upgraded a Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8 Preview.  The laptop and the account I am using are in an Active Directory domain.  I have connected the domain account to my MicrosoftAccount.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:46 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue. No way to launch the IE10 metro app.

Friday, March 16, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Hi All,

Could you look for DCOM/DistributedCOM errors in the Event Log. If you have these, then follow the below steps.

1. Backup and Delete the Registry Key > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
    2. Reboot.

The issue is caused by the permission being overwritten/incorrectly written when a upgrade is done. Similar issues are seen when installing certain modem hardware.

This should get you guys to a working state. Let me know if you still faces issues.

Thanks!

JohnFernande [MSFT] | Support Engineer | Windows Distributed Systems | Bangalore, India. If an answer is Helpful, Please mark as answer. Others might find it helpful.

• Proposed as answer by TJBurg Friday, March 16, 2012 4:52 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Thanks for your response John.

I've checked my event logs and while I can find some DCOM errors they don't seem related to Internet Explorer. Still I backed up and deleted the OLE key and subkeys and then rebooted, but it did not change the behavior of Metro IE.

The DCOM errors from today are 10005
    "DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}"

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Justin Hughes

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hmm, Thats interesting. Let me see what other logging we can gather to shed more light on the issue.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

JohnFernande [MSFT] | Support Engineer | Windows Distributed Systems | Bangalore, India. If an answer is Helpful, Please mark as answer. Others might find it helpful.

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Thanks John, your steps worked for me!  Prior to your response, I also tried deleting some entries from windows startup, including "Digital Line Detect" and reboot but that did not fix it but maybe contributed (?).

Here is what I did/found:

1. Clicked on Maps, SkyDrive, Store, and IE10 Metro and I received the following Event Messages.  After completing these steps, I tried these four again and they worked.  Log entries:
       * App Log
          - Error 1026, Source=.NET Runtime
               Application: Map.exe
               Framework Version: v4.0.30319
               Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
               Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
               Stack:
                  at Windows.UI.Xaml.Application.Start(Windows.UI.Xaml.ApplicationInitializationCallback)
                  at Map.Program.Main(System.String[])
          - Error 1000, Source=Application Error
               Faulting application name: Map.exe, version: 1.0.1022.0, time stamp: 0x4f3adfa4
               Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.8250.0, time stamp: 0x4f3f2b41
               Exception code: 0xe0434352
               Fault offset: 0x0000000000028fda
               Faulting process id: 0x1630
               Faulting application start time: 0x01cd038dfb951435
               Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.BingMaps_1.0.1022.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Map.exe
               Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
               Report Id: 3ab59193-6f81-11e1-a10a-f0def1123308
               Faulting package full name: Microsoft.BingMaps_1.0.1022.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
               Faulting package-relative application ID: App
          - Information 1001, Source=Windows Error Reporting
               Fault bucket -1489331676, type 5
               Event Name: MoAppCrash
               Response: Not available
               Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
               P1: Microsoft.BingMaps_1.0.1022.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
               P2: map.exe
               P3: 1.0.1022.0
               P4: 4f3adfa4
               P5: Map
               P6: 1.0.1022.0
               P7: 4f3adfa4
               P8: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
               P9: 1ccda
               P10:

Attached files:
               C:\Users\tjburgoyne.BURG\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA46C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
               C:\Users\tjburgoyne.BURG\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Microsoft.BingMa_a7f73b2ca95b62ce5f1df36337bd0884302636_066ea5a5

Analysis symbol:
               Rechecking for solution: 0
               Report Id: 3ab59193-6f81-11e1-a10a-f0def1123308
               Report Status: 16
               Hashed bucket: b8c2a74165268759f3f1917bd842d641
          - Information 2486, Source=Immersive-ShellApp
               DefaultBrowser_NOPUBLISHERID!Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default was terminated because it did not launch within its allotted time.

* System Log
          - Error 10010, Source=DistributedCOM
               The server Microsoft.MicrosoftSkyDrive.wwa did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
               The server App did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
               The server Windows.Store did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

2. Backed up and Deleted the Registry Key > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole

3. Rebooted.

My Metro apps appear to be working now, thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2012 4:51 PM
  • hi, i have different problem with IE10..on aunch it dosent open the new metro style IE...but goes to the old style..any clue?
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:15 PM
  • hi, i have different problem with IE10..on aunch it dosent open the new metro style IE...but goes to the old style..any clue?
    Yes, that happens if your default browser isn't IE. If you really want Metro IE, go to Default Programs and set IE as the default.
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Thanks John. I deleted the OLE registry key and rebooted. No luck. The IE10 metro app still does not launch.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 5:15 AM
  • I am experiencing the same thing as far as the Metro app not starting. I deleted the registry setting and then rebooted. That reg key has NOT been rebuilt other than the basic entry for OLE. This must have started after a recent update because it has been working fine.  I am also seeing a lot of entries in the event log about "Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start at 2013-01-21T06:01:14Z. Error Code: 0x80041316.".
    • Edited by JohnWZ Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Same issue seems to be adressed here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/b0e4f9a3-4c96-4e6f-9399-71fc5813853c

But the suggested solution does not work for me. Just as JohnWZ the Ole key has not been build other than the basic entry.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:13 PM
  • I was having similar issues, and I finally found the root cause on my machine.  I had Raptr running.  when you close out of that, everything started working again.  I'm not sure if this is your cause, but I hope it helps.

Even if this isn't your root cause, it shows that this can be caused by outside software, not jut drivers or MS software.  Kill off any background apps one by one and see if it starts working.  if it does, you likely found your culprit.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:16 PM
  • I was able to get Where's My Perry and Where's My Water working by...

Right click Computer and choose manage

Device manager > Display Adapter > Right click display and choose disable.

This is a pretty terrible fix. Another application that is not working my Dell Inspirion is the Lego Digital Designer. There is a problem with the video driver for this PC.

Perhaps related to the OpenGL Driver? In my case, I think the problem is an old computer running windows 8.

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:01 AM