none
Office 2007 install failed-1935 error- on Windows 7 machine

Question

• I am having a HUGE issue on my newest Windows 7 machine.

I have been trying to install office 2007 and it will not install. It keeps returning the 1935 error and I have looked at the solutions here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/926804  they are not sovling the problem at all.

I have TRIED to uninstall it, and even the uninstall failed, or should I say, partially failed. Add Remove programs says it is doesn't exist, yet it was in the list in the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool. I did remove it from there.

The .NET Framework is not in Add Remove programs, and yet when I go to install the .NET Framework 2.0, the install tells me that it exists as part of the OS.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks...
    Michael

Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• See if this newer dated KB article helps you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946691 and also try running the sfc /scannow from the command line helps. The KB article you linked is over 2 years old as now .Net Framework is up to v3.5. I know it refers to SP1 for Office 2007 but I think it will still help in your case. Here's another even newer KB article that may or may not help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967642   I'm also curious if you have your antivirus enabled during the install as this too will also produce the 1935 error. Disable your AV during the install/uninstall procedure and see if that will work for you.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Thank you for your advice, but none of this seems to be working.

The KB's you referenced all reference Server 2003, and installing Office SP1 or SP3. I am installing Office 2007 on a Windows 7 platform. And the KB's seem only to advize uninstall and reinstall. ??

Windows detects no anti-virus software running on this computer.

Running sfc /scannow returns the message - Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. I did run it as an administrator.

I did notice that there are Office files left over in Program Files/Microsoft Office as well as Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared. Would it be beneficial to delete these files ? I currently have Office uninstalled.

Would it help to install the .NET Framework v3.5 ? I can't even get v2.0 to install because it says that it is already installed, but yet Add/Remove Programs and Windows Installed Cleanup both don't report it as installed ! Would v3.5 interfere in any way with the Office 2007 install ? It is SP1.

Thank you for your assistance !
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Hi MYKLIV,

The 1935 error indicates the Microsoft .NET Framework installation is damaged or missing. In Windows 7, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is pre-installed. You can take the following steps to reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

1) Click the Start button and type: features in the Search box.
    2) Click "Turn Windows features on or off".
    3) Find "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" and uncheck the box.
    4) Restart the computer.
    5) Repeat the step 1) and step 2).
    6) Check the box in front of "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1".
    7) Restart the computer.

After the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is reinstalled, then try to install Office 2007 again.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, January 04, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Dale,
    Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, when I bring up Windows Features, I end up with an empty dialog box. It does take a little time to be accessible, so I know that it is finished "thinking", but in the end, it is empty.

Michael.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:14 PM
  • sounds like you need to do an in place upgrade and see that works.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:18 PM
  • I found a blog sharing the steps to fix empty Windows features dialog problem, please refer to the following link:

Steps that might help fix Windows Update errors and a blank Windows Features dialog in Windows Vista

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Dale,
    As per the directions on the blog from the link you sent, I tried to do the Systems Upgrade Readiness Tool install, and it failed. I also tried to do an install of the .NET Framework 3.5, and it LOOKS like it runs, but nothing is returned indicating whether it finished correctly, or even finished at all. Rebooted the machine and took a look at the Features Dialog, and it is still blank.

I'm about this close to just nuking the OS and starting over. I've already spent way too much time on this one machine as it is. I'm just hoping that this is not an issue that will repeat itself, once I do. I was using this machine as an application compatibility test machine for Windows 7 and our applications. So far the only Apps that have failed are Photoshop CS3 and MS Office 2007. I'm dissapointed, but not surprise about the first. The second I'm considerably frustrated and upset about.

So unless anyone has any additional info on this, I will probably nuke this thing in the next day or two. 

Thanks for all of your help !!

Sincerely,
    Michael 
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Before reinstalling, let's try to do a Startup Repair to automatically fix the problem. If the issue persists, you can perform an-inplace upgrade other than reinstall.

Startup Repair
    =========

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1) Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.
    2) When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    3) Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    4) Click Repair your computer.
    5) Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6) On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Inplace upgrade
    ==========

1) Start the computer.
    2) Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3) Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a.If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    b.If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
       b2. Click Install now.

4) When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Best Regards
    Dale

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Dale,
    I did the Startup Repair. It ran for a short while, and returned a "Startup Repair could not detect a problem." message.

Do you suggest I move forward with the Inplace upgrade then ?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:10 PM