none
Changing Headphone Properties in Vista Home Premium SP1

Question

• Here is my problem: I have the Abit IL9 Pro motherboard with onboard audio that is 7.1 CH HD and my case is the Cooler Master Elite 330 with front I/O mic and speaker jacks which support AC 97 only. I can connect the microphone to the back mic I/O jack with no problems but I try to connect the headphone to the back audio jack, I can not hear any sounds. I would like to know if there is any way to change the headphone properties in Vista Home Premium SP1 from "L R Front 3.5 mm jack" to "L R Rear 3.5 mm jack"?

Thanks to all in advance for any assistance (positive or negative) concerning this issue.

Motherboard-- Abit IL 9 Pro, Socket 775
    Bios --American Megatrend, version 02.58

Chipset - Intel® 945P/ ICH7 Chipset
    CPU-- Intel Pentium 4 526 3.06 Ghz 775 1M 90NM R
    Thermal Compound-- Thermaltake #AS Artic Silver 5
    Memory Brand-- Kingston Model # KVR667D2K2/2GR
    Memory Size--2 GB (1 GB x 2) PC2 5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card-- XFX GeForce 7200 GS 250 mb
    Graphics Driver Version-- V 2.0
    Power Suppy Wattage-- Chiefmax 550w
    (AC Input: 115v/250v, 10A/6A. 60/50 Hz)
    (DC output: 3+3v, +5v, +12v, -12v, -5v, +5vbs)
    Storage Devices-- Western Digital WD Caviar SE SATA 80 GB 3Gs 7200 RPM 8 MB buffer (Master), Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB ATA/133 7200 RPM 8 MB Buffer (Slave),

Samsung  20x LightScribe Double Layer DVD+/-RW SATA(Master), Optorite CD R/RW 52x32x52x (IDE/Slave), Sony 3.5 floppy drive.
    Cooling Fans—Masscool 8W553(CPU Fan), Cooler Master DC12v 0.16 (Case Fan), Antec (ball bearing Case Fan)

Case/Chasis – Cooler Master Elite 330
    Operating System-- Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:28 AM

Answers

• CherryPearl23

It's doubtful that Vista would have a setting for this, unless there is special software/drivers installed for those headphones where it could be configured.

Attach the headphones, right click the Volume Icon in the Notification Area, (by the clock) and select Playback Devices to see if there are any headphone configuration settings there.

If you don't see anything there, then look in the BIOS settings for the motherboard for any optional settings for those ports.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:57 PM

All replies

• CherryPearl23

It's doubtful that Vista would have a setting for this, unless there is special software/drivers installed for those headphones where it could be configured.

Attach the headphones, right click the Volume Icon in the Notification Area, (by the clock) and select Playback Devices to see if there are any headphone configuration settings there.

If you don't see anything there, then look in the BIOS settings for the motherboard for any optional settings for those ports.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Thank you Ronnie Vernon for your response .  To solve this problem, I brought the Logitech S220 speakers w/subwoofer.  It had a remote that allows headphone and mic connection on it and it seems to work pretty well except it cannot adjust headphone volumn but works great just the same.

Motherboard-- Abit IL 9 Pro, Socket 775
    Bios --American Megatrend, version 02.58

Chipset - Intel® 945P/ ICH7 Chipset
    CPU-- Intel Pentium 4 526 3.06 Ghz 775 1M 90NM R
    Thermal Compound-- Thermaltake #AS Artic Silver 5
    Memory Brand-- Kingston Model # KVR667D2K2/2GR
    Memory Size--2 GB (1 GB x 2) PC2 5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card-- XFX GeForce 7200 GS 250 mb
    Graphics Driver Version-- V 2.0
    Power Suppy Wattage-- Chiefmax 550w
    (AC Input: 115v/250v, 10A/6A. 60/50 Hz)
    (DC output: 3+3v, +5v, +12v, -12v, -5v, +5vbs)
    Storage Devices-- Western Digital WD Caviar SE SATA 80 GB 3Gs 7200 RPM 8 MB buffer (Master), Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB ATA/133 7200 RPM 8 MB Buffer (Slave),

Samsung  20x LightScribe Double Layer DVD+/-RW SATA(Master), Optorite CD R/RW 52x32x52x (IDE/Slave), Sony 3.5 floppy drive.
    Cooling Fans—Masscool 8W553(CPU Fan), Cooler Master DC12v 0.16 (Case Fan), Antec (ball bearing Case Fan)

Case/Chasis – Cooler Master Elite 330
    Operating System-- Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Cherry

Your very welcome.

I'm happy you found something that works for you.

Enjoy the tunes.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:52 PM